on the variability of BSD and MIT licenses

D M German dmg at uvic.ca
Thu Dec 27 19:31:53 UTC 2012

Hi everybody,

This term I taught a course on Intellectual Property and Software
Development. the students were expected to conduct some research as part
of the evaluation. One of them, Trevor Maryka (who I think is also
subscribed to this list) took on the problem of trying to determine how
'variable' are the BSD and the MITs and what this means for their
standardization under SPDX. he makes a set of recommendations to SPDX
(see section 5). I am attaching his paper. It is, in my opinion, very
good news for SPDX.