Topics

Licence abbreviations?


dmg
 

Hi Everybody,

is there a place where the abbreviations (as to be used in the SPDX
document) are listed? This page only lists the full names.

http://www.spdx.org/licenses/


--
--
Daniel M. German
http://turingmachine.org/
http://silvernegative.com/
dmg (at) uvic (dot) ca
replace (at) with @ and (dot) with .


Jilayne Lovejoy <Jlovejoy@...>
 

Daniel,

The license list spreadsheet is located here:
http://spdx.org/wiki/working-version-license-list

The most recent version is 1.4 and will have a column with the short
names therein. The associated word doc just has some explanations
regarding the fields, etc.

Jilayne

-----Original Message-----
From: spdx-bounces@... [mailto:spdx-bounces@...]
On Behalf Of D M German
Sent: Thursday, January 13, 2011 6:43 PM
To: spdx@...
Subject: Licence abbreviations?


Hi Everybody,

is there a place where the abbreviations (as to be used in the SPDX
document) are listed? This page only lists the full names.

http://www.spdx.org/licenses/


--
--
Daniel M. German
http://turingmachine.org/
http://silvernegative.com/
dmg (at) uvic (dot) ca
replace (at) with @ and (dot) with .
_______________________________________________
Spdx mailing list
Spdx@...
https://fossbazaar.org/mailman/listinfo/spdx


dmg
 

Thanks Jylayne,

one thing that would be useful (for those of us wanting to identify
the license of a file) is to have examples of the use of each license
(not the license itself,
but how it is used). Many of these licenses, I haven't seen them in the wild.

---dmg

On Fri, Jan 14, 2011 at 11:13 AM, Jilayne Lovejoy
<Jlovejoy@...> wrote:
Daniel,

The license list spreadsheet is located here:
http://spdx.org/wiki/working-version-license-list

The most recent version is 1.4 and will have a column with the short
names therein.  The associated word doc just has some explanations
regarding the fields, etc.

Jilayne

-----Original Message-----
From: spdx-bounces@... [mailto:spdx-bounces@...]
On Behalf Of D M German
Sent: Thursday, January 13, 2011 6:43 PM
To: spdx@...
Subject: Licence abbreviations?


Hi Everybody,

is there a place where the abbreviations (as to be used in the SPDX
document) are listed? This page only lists the full names.

http://www.spdx.org/licenses/


--
--
Daniel M. German
http://turingmachine.org/
http://silvernegative.com/
dmg (at) uvic (dot) ca
replace (at) with @ and (dot) with .
_______________________________________________
Spdx mailing list
Spdx@...
https://fossbazaar.org/mailman/listinfo/spdx



--
--dmg

---
Daniel M. German
http://turingmachine.org


Jilayne Lovejoy <Jlovejoy@...>
 

What kind of example did you have in mind? Do you mean an example of a particular software package that uses a particular license?

Sent from J's iPhone

On Jan 13, 2011, at 7:22 PM, "dmg" <dmg@...> wrote:

Thanks Jylayne,

one thing that would be useful (for those of us wanting to identify
the license of a file) is to have examples of the use of each license
(not the license itself,
but how it is used). Many of these licenses, I haven't seen them in the wild.

---dmg

On Fri, Jan 14, 2011 at 11:13 AM, Jilayne Lovejoy
<Jlovejoy@...> wrote:
Daniel,

The license list spreadsheet is located here:
http://spdx.org/wiki/working-version-license-list

The most recent version is 1.4 and will have a column with the short
names therein. The associated word doc just has some explanations
regarding the fields, etc.

Jilayne

-----Original Message-----
From: spdx-bounces@... [mailto:spdx-bounces@...]
On Behalf Of D M German
Sent: Thursday, January 13, 2011 6:43 PM
To: spdx@...
Subject: Licence abbreviations?


Hi Everybody,

is there a place where the abbreviations (as to be used in the SPDX
document) are listed? This page only lists the full names.

http://www.spdx.org/licenses/


--
--
Daniel M. German
http://turingmachine.org/
http://silvernegative.com/
dmg (at) uvic (dot) ca
replace (at) with @ and (dot) with .
_______________________________________________
Spdx mailing list
Spdx@...
https://fossbazaar.org/mailman/listinfo/spdx



--
--dmg

---
Daniel M. German
http://turingmachine.org


dmg
 

On Fri, Jan 14, 2011 at 11:31 AM, Jilayne Lovejoy
<Jlovejoy@...> wrote:
What kind of example did you have in mind? Do you mean an example of a particular software package that uses a particular license?
A file that contains it. For example, this is the usage of the
GPL-2.0+ (excerpted from a Bison file):

usage is very different from the text of the license itself.

--dmg

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
/* A Bison parser, made by GNU Bison 1.875. */

/* Skeleton parser for Yacc-like parsing with Bison,
Copyright (C) 1984, 1989, 1990, 2000, 2001, 2002 Free Software
Foundation, Inc.

This program is free software; you can redistribute it and/or modify
it under the terms of the GNU General Public License as published by
the Free Software Foundation; either version 2, or (at your option)
any later version.

This program is distributed in the hope that it will be useful,
but WITHOUT ANY WARRANTY; without even the implied warranty of
MERCHANTABILITY or FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE. See the
GNU General Public License for more details.

You should have received a copy of the GNU General Public License
along with this program; if not, write to the Free Software
Foundation, Inc., 59 Temple Place - Suite 330,
Boston, MA 02111-1307, USA. */


--
--dmg

---
Daniel M. German
http://turingmachine.org


Jilayne Lovejoy <Jlovejoy@...>
 

I am taking what you refer to as 'how it is used' to be the equivalent
of the header information that is included in the file. When making
the License List, that column was defined to only being propagated if
the license had a specific header text suggested. Obviously, a small
number of licenses actually include this in the license. If the license
did not make this suggestion, then that column is blank in the list.

If we don't constrain this in some way, then the possibilities would be
endless. Even with the shorter licenses, like MIT, while often the
whole license is included in the file, sometimes I have seen a simple
statement saying something like "this is under the MIT license"

I'm not sure if that is helpful, but hopefully that explains what that
column means in the License List (the Word document with the list
"protocols" should explain this and the same for each column)

-----Original Message-----
From: dmgerman@... [mailto:dmgerman@...] On Behalf Of dmg
Sent: Thursday, January 13, 2011 7:36 PM
To: Jilayne Lovejoy
Cc: spdx@...
Subject: Re: Licence abbreviations?

On Fri, Jan 14, 2011 at 11:31 AM, Jilayne Lovejoy
<Jlovejoy@...> wrote:
What kind of example did you have in mind? Do you mean an example of a
particular software package that uses a particular license?

A file that contains it. For example, this is the usage of the
GPL-2.0+ (excerpted from a Bison file):

usage is very different from the text of the license itself.

--dmg

------------------------------------------------------------------------
---------------------
/* A Bison parser, made by GNU Bison 1.875. */

/* Skeleton parser for Yacc-like parsing with Bison,
Copyright (C) 1984, 1989, 1990, 2000, 2001, 2002 Free Software
Foundation, Inc.

This program is free software; you can redistribute it and/or modify
it under the terms of the GNU General Public License as published by
the Free Software Foundation; either version 2, or (at your option)
any later version.

This program is distributed in the hope that it will be useful,
but WITHOUT ANY WARRANTY; without even the implied warranty of
MERCHANTABILITY or FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE. See the
GNU General Public License for more details.

You should have received a copy of the GNU General Public License
along with this program; if not, write to the Free Software
Foundation, Inc., 59 Temple Place - Suite 330,
Boston, MA 02111-1307, USA. */


--
--dmg

---
Daniel M. German
http://turingmachine.org