Questions on SPDX 1.0

Marc-Etienne Vargenau

Hello,

I am trying to understand the SPDX 1.0 spec so that I can
export our FOSS database in SPDX format.

I have the following questions:

The are two formats, one in text and one in XML/RDF.

1) Is there a tool that check the syntactic validity of a file?

2) Is there a tool that converts one format to the other?

3) In the FAQ:
http://spdx.org/wiki/spdx-faqs

the sentence:
"You may choose to use software tools that can scan software and validate the accuracy of the SPDX file."
appears twice. Why?

4) In the FAQ, licence examples are given as:
GPL-2.0 OR MIT
Apache-2.0 AND MIT AND GPL-2.0

From the spec, I consider it should be:
(GPL-2.0 or MIT)
(Apache-2.0 and MIT and GPL-2.0)

Parentheses are missing?
"and" and "or" should be lower case?

Thank you for your help.

Marc-Etienne

--
Marc-Etienne Vargenau
Alcatel-Lucent France, Route de Villejust, 91620 NOZAY, FRANCE

Gary O'Neall

Hi Marc-Etienne,

I am trying to understand the SPDX 1.0 spec so that I can export our FOSS
database in SPDX format.

I have the following questions:

The are two formats, one in text and one in XML/RDF.

1) Is there a tool that check the syntactic validity of a file?
[Gary] The SPDX Viewer tool found at spdx.org/tools will do some validation
on a file

2) Is there a tool that converts one format to the other?
[Gary] There are conversion tools on the same website. These are Java based
command line tools. Let me know if you have any questions/problems with the
tools.

3) In the FAQ:
http://spdx.org/wiki/spdx-faqs

the sentence:
"You may choose to use software tools that can scan software and validate
the accuracy of the SPDX file."
appears twice. Why?

[Gary] This looks like an error - I updated the page to remove the second
line

4) In the FAQ, licence examples are given as:
GPL-2.0 OR MIT
Apache-2.0 AND MIT AND GPL-2.0

From the spec, I consider it should be:
(GPL-2.0 or MIT)
(Apache-2.0 and MIT and GPL-2.0)

Parentheses are missing?
"and" and "or" should be lower case?

[Gary] Great catch - I updated the FAQ's page to match the spec

Thank you for your help.

Marc-Etienne

--
Marc-Etienne Vargenau
Alcatel-Lucent France, Route de Villejust, 91620 NOZAY, FRANCE
+33 (0)1 30 77 28 33, Marc-Etienne.Vargenau@...

Marc-Etienne Vargenau

Le 29/05/2012 18:44, Gary O'Neall a écrit :
Hi Marc-Etienne,

Hello Gary,

Thank you for your quick answer.

1) Is there a tool that check the syntactic validity of a file?
[Gary] The SPDX Viewer tool found at spdx.org/tools will do some validation
on a file

2) Is there a tool that converts one format to the other?
[Gary] There are conversion tools on the same website. These are Java based
command line tools. Let me know if you have any questions/problems with the
tools.
I had overlooked this page.
In page http://spdx.org/tools I would replace
"Rdf to XMLversion 0.9.6" by "Rdf to HTMLversion 0.9.6"

4) In the FAQ, licence examples are given as:
GPL-2.0 OR MIT
Apache-2.0 AND MIT AND GPL-2.0

From the spec, I consider it should be:
(GPL-2.0 or MIT)
(Apache-2.0 and MIT and GPL-2.0)

Parentheses are missing?
"and" and "or" should be lower case?

[Gary] Great catch - I updated the FAQ's page to match the spec
Is an SPDX file case-sensitive or not? Is this explained somewhere?

Best regards,

Marc-Etienne

--
Marc-Etienne Vargenau
Alcatel-Lucent France, Route de Villejust, 91620 NOZAY, FRANCE
+33 (0)1 30 77 28 33, Marc-Etienne.Vargenau@...

Gary O'Neall

Thanks Marc - I corrected the tools page per your message below.

In terms of case sensitive - I don't recall any discussion on this relative
to the entire file. I know that some of the specific fields (such as
verification code) specify case sensitivity, but only for that field.