From: "podence@..." <podence@...>
Date: Friday, March 29, 2019 at 7:27 AM
To: "spdx@..." <spdx@...>
Subject: Special SPDX Talk Next Week

For our SPDX General Meeting call next week we will have a presentation from Gary O’Neall and Steve Winslow called:

SPDX: Bridging the Compliance Tool Gap

Any organization which utilizes open source software needs to comply with the open source license terms and the specific security policies of their industry.  To satisfy the basic requirement of knowing the specific open source packages included in the software, several tools have been produced which create or manage a software “Bill of Materials”.  The Software Package Data Exchange (SPDX) defines a standard format for a Bill of Materials which can facilitate harmonious integration of multiple tools.

This is a reprise of a very well-received talk they gave at the LF Open Source Leadership Summit earlier this month. I will send out the normal General Meeting reminder, however I wanted to mention this earlier because you might want to share with others. If you have colleagues, friends or partners that would like to learn SPDX, this would be great 30 minute intro. Please invite them.

April 4, 11am EDT, 8am PDT, 4pm UK summer time, too late Japan time

New dial in number: 415-881-1586

No PIN needed

The weblink for screenshare will stay the same at:
http://uberconference.com/SPDXTeam

Special SPDX Talk Next Week

Phil Odence

[...]

May 4, 11am EDT, 8am PDT, 4pm UK summer time, too late Japan time

New dial in number: 415-881-1586

No PIN needed

The weblink for screenshare will stay the same at:
http://uberconference.com/SPDXTeam

Re: announcing: Open Source Compliance Handbook

J Lovejoy

and here is the link to that announcement that I forgot to include before: https://www.finos.org/blog/announcing-the-open-source-license-compliance-handbook

;)
Jilayne

On Mar 12, 2019, at 12:18 PM, J Lovejoy <opensource@...> wrote:

Hi SPDX folks (legal and general list),

I want to tell you about a project I’ve been working on with Aaron Williamson and the Fintech Open Source Foundation (FINOS) that I think many of you may be interested in.

FINOS has announced the initial release of the Open Source License Compliance Handbook. The Handbook is itself an open source project, available on Github. It consists of:
  • Structured compliance data about open source licenses, stored in a simple YAML format for easy consumption by machines and lawyers alike (licensed CC-BY-SA-4.0),
  • A Python script to compile the license entries and introductory material into an asciidoc-formatted markup document (licensed Apache 2.0), and
  • "Binaries" of the document in docx and PDF formats (as well as an intermediate DocBook version) (CC-BY-SA-4.0).
We're excited to get this resource into the hands of the community and get your input and contributions, as well as ideas on the potential to integrate this into all the great open source tooling that is out there. Aaron and I recognize that there's always the potential for ruffled feathers at efforts to "summarize" licenses and I have no doubt some of our efforts are imperfect. But the Handbook is meant for a particular purpose -- not to exhaustively summarize licenses or address every GPL corner case, but to help developers and compliance professionals address the most common requirements in the most common use cases.

Please take a look, file an issue, or submit a pull request :) (Be warned, FINOS requires signing a dreaded CLA first!)

[...]

SPDX General Meeting Minutes

Phil Odence

https://wiki.spdx.org/view/General_Meeting/Minutes/2019-03-07

General Meeting/Minutes/2019-03-07

< General Meeting‎ | Minutes

·         Attendance: 5

·         Lead by Phil Odence

·         Minutes of Feb meeting approved

Contents

 [hide

·         1 Tech Team Report - Gary

·         2 Legal Team Report - Paul

·         3 Outreach Team Report

·         4 Cross Function

·         5 Attendees

Tech Team Report - Gary[edit]

·         Tools

·         Google Summer of Code

·         Accepted again

·         Lots of activity from students

·         *Plenty of ideas

·         Spec

·         Jack jumped in to help with publishing from GitHub

·         Started up APAC SPDX call

·         Lots of interest from Automotive

·         Discussion of “SPDX Lite”

·         “Files analyzed” field set to zero changes many required fields to option

·         Will be monthly

Legal Team Report - Paul[edit]

·         License List

·         Working through new licenses, normal stuff

Outreach Team Report[edit]

·         No update.

Cross Function[edit]

Attendees[edit]

·         Phil Odence, Black Duck/Synopsys

·         Steve Winslow, LF

·         Mark Atwood, Amazon

·         Paul Madick, Dimension Data

·         Gary O’Neall, SourceAuditor

Reminder SPDX General Meeting today

Phil Odence

Re: Mentorship for GSOC Project

J Lovejoy

Hi Kumar,

Thanks for your interest in SPDX!  As you have not joined the SPDX mailing list, I have approved your message and also copied the SPDX tech team here.  I believe the tech team is who you need to talk to about a GSOC mentor.

More information about our 3 working teams and the general list can be found here: https://spdx.org/participate

thanks!
Jilayne
SPDX legal co-lead

On Mar 4, 2019, at 11:05 AM, Kumar Saurabh <b115012@...> wrote:

Hi ,

I, Kumar Saurabh, a final year student at IIIT Bhubaneswar, majoring in Computer Science and engineering. Being passionate about product development, I find developing application development exciting.  A background in engineering has allowed me to develop an in-depth, analytical approach and strengthen my critical thinking ability;

I have written this email to seek mentorship for GSOC project .I thoroughly gone through the projects.Enhanced Workflow for online license request and Additional format support for Python interests me lot.I am quite proficient in python and done quite amount of projects in XML,JSON and PDF parsing.I am quite comfortable in API development using FLASK .I would like to contribute to these projects. Could you help me with some basic initial information,so that i can get some head-start .Once i get acquainted with the existing workflow,I will present you a Proof of Concept ,so that we can be on same page.

 I look forward hearing from you.

Thank you.

Kind regards,

--
Kumar Saurabh
Dept. of Computer Science & Engineering

Mentorship for GSOC Project

b115012@...

[...]

Joining technical team of SPDX

bhavys@iitk.ac.in <bhavys@...>

Hello everyone,

i am interested for working with the technical team of SPDX. The GSoC project 'SPDX Document Generator for projects using SPDXIDs' seems very interesting to me. I have got the myself familiar with the working of the python-tools by running it on my laptop and have made some PRs to the easy beginner issues on github of spdx/tools-python.

I want to begin contributing towards the project, could you guide me to begin making some good contributions to SPDX and the project. I have joined the general and technical mailing list.

Thanks

Bhavy

On 2019-03-01 20:07, Manbeck, Jack via Lists.Spdx.Org wrote:

Just echoing what Jilayne said. If you can give us an idea of where your interest lie participation wise, after reading about the work groups on the site,  we can guide you.  Or feel free to ask questions about them.

Jack

From: "spdx@..." <spdx@...> on behalf of "kstewart@..." <kstewart@...>
Date: Thursday, February 7, 2019 at 12:36 PM
To: "spdx@..." <spdx@...>
Subject: Re: [spdx] SPDX Feb General Meeting Minutes

Hi Phil,

    I've gone in and updated the tech section to put links into some of the

items we discussed and added details of Asia SPDX tech call.

Please let me know if you want me to revert.

Tech Team Report - Kate/Gary[edit]

·         Tools

·         Applying to participate in GSoC for 2019

·         Variety of proposals on Wiki: https://wiki.spdx.org/view/GSOC/GSOC_ProjectIdeas

·         We’ll hear back end of Feb 26 if we are selected.

·         tools-golang

·         Steve Winslow has contributed new Go libraries to SPDX to support generating SPDX documents see: https://github.com/spdx/tools-golang

·         He also created a tool to scan the kernel looking for SPDXIDs that Kate used for her talk at LCA to get latest status of the Kernel.

·         Go Steve!

·         Specification

·         Discussing Mark Atwood's Idea for alternative name spaces for companies licenses that are not open source.

·         Spec can handle via "LicenseRef-"

·         What guidance do we provide?

·         Unblocking contributions to 2.2

·         Kate is working with Thomas to unblock contributions to 2.2 (switch master over to 2.2 from 2.1.1)

·         We will be starting to take pull requests into 2.2 spec, for features approved, please assign issue to yourself if you want to write up the feature.

·         Focus for next few months

·         Started a tech call in Asia friendly time

·         Call will be on 2nd Tuesday of each month 10am Japan/12pm Australia (and 5pm PST Monday) on https://www.uberconference.com/SPDXTeam

·         First topic will be SPDX-lite discussion that's started in the OpenChain workgroup.

Thanks, Kate

On Thu, Feb 7, 2019 at 11:02 AM Phil Odence <phil.odence@...> wrote:

https://wiki.spdx.org/view/General_Meeting/Minutes/2019-02-07

For techies, interesting discussion of custom license name space proposal. I hope my non-techie notes capture the essence.

Phil

General Meeting/Minutes/2019-02-07

< General Meeting‎ | Minutes

·         Attendance: 10

·         Lead by Phil Odence

·         Minutes of Jan meeting approved

Contents

 [hide

·         1 Tech Team Report - Kate/Gary

·         2 Legal Team Report - Jilayne

·         3 Outreach Team Report - Jack

·         4 Cross Functions

·         5 Attendees

Tech Team Report - Kate/Gary[edit]

·         Tools

·         SoC in again

·         Variety of proposals on Wiki

·         We’ll hear back end of Feb

·         Steve W

·         created a tool to scan the kernel looking for SPDX

·         Contributed Go libraries

·         Go Steve

·         Specification

·         Discussing Marks Idea for alternative name spaces

·         Spec can handle

·         What guidance do we provide?

·         Starting to take pull requests into 2.2 spec

·         Focus for next few months

·         Started a tech call in Asia friendly

Legal Team Report - Jilayne[edit]

·         License List

·         New process and links posted

·         Published policy says advocates need to stay engaged or requests may drop off the radar

·         GitHub process seems like a great way to handle requests

·         Need work outside the call

Outreach Team Report - Jack[edit]

·         LinuxCon Aussie Presentation

·         Included Stat1/3 of files in Kernel have SPDX in them

·         Great momentum

·         Panel at FOSDEM on OSS Compliance tooling

·         Alexios attended

·         Lots or proposals on tools, so organizers turned into a panel w/ Bradley K moderating

·         Theme was need for interoperatblity

·         Video will be published

·         Alexios also mentioned that at recent copyleft conference, SPDX came up in every talk

·         Website

·         Looking into status of move to Wordpress with LF

·         Request a new license page has been directed to GitHub repo

·         Need an Outreach reboot

Cross Functions[edit]

·         Alternate name space

·         Basics

·         Many companies have source available non-OSS licenses

·         Would be good for companies to be able to have standard local names

·         Proposal is to use DNS

·         Addresses issues with flat, first come first served

·         DNS will be around for a long time

·         Allows companies to self-assign

·         Internationalized by default

·         Immediately readable

·         Leading dot clearly differentiates from SPDX standard names

·         Challenges

·         Doesn’t cary text

·         Companies’ names may change through M&A and may lose domains in the process

·         How to ensure that a company doesn’t change license text

·         Sentiment is in favor of

·         Retain “License Ref” prefix

·         Standardize on place to log license data

·         In a one-license SPDX doc

·         Mark will mock up with one of the Amazon licenses, collaborating with Kate

Attendees[edit]

·         Phil Odence, Black Duck/Synopsys

·         Kate Stewart, Linux Foundation

·         Mark Atwood, Amazon

·         Jilayne Lovejoy

·         Gary O’Neall, SourceAuditor

·         Dennis Clark, NexB

·         Alexios Zavras, Intel

·         Jack Manbeck, TI

·         Mark Baushke, Juniper

·         David Ryan

Re: SPDX Feb General Meeting Minutes

Kate Stewart

[...]

Feb 7 SPDX General Meeting Reminder

Phil Odence

GENERAL MEETING

Meeting Time: Thurs, Feb 7, 8am PST / 10 am CST / 11am EST / 15:00 UTC. http://www.timeanddate.com/worldclock/converter.html

Conf call dial-in:

New dial in number: 415-881-1586

No PIN needed

The weblink for screenshare will stay the same at:
http://uberconference.com/SPDXTeam

Minutes Approval: https://wiki.spdx.org/view/General_Meeting/Minutes/2019-01-03

Technical Team Report – Kate/Gary

Legal Team Report – Jilayne

Outreach Team Report – Jack

Any Cross Functional Issues –All

L. Philip Odence
General Manager, Black Duck On-Demand
Synopsys Software Integrity Group, Burlington, MA
O: +1.781.313.6655
| M: +1.781.258.9502

banner

L. Philip Odence
General Manager, Black Duck On-Demand
Synopsys Software Integrity Group
800 District Avenue, Suite 101, Burlington, MA 01803-5061
W: +1.781.313.6801; M: +1.781.258.9502

www.blackducksoftware.com

Re: Standalone license tools for scanning debian/ubuntu apps?

Kate Stewart

On Tue, Feb 5, 2019 at 5:32 PM Dan Kegel <dank@...> wrote:
On Tue, Feb 5, 2019 at 1:30 PM Jeremiah C. Foster <jfoster@...> wrote:
> If I'm not mistaken, copyright has to be a string because it has to be legible by humans. This means you can likely grep through source code as scancode does with a fair degree of confidence and use 'strings' on binaries.
>
> Using DEP-5 and Debian Copyright files where you can should also be sufficient for due diligence in most jurisdictions, but I can't point to any legal precedent as evidence.
>
> SPDX helps by creating a framework for human and machine readable documentation of your work, but you'll still need to scan code for copyright.
>
> Binaries likely require a bit of reverse engineering.

Yes, absolutely.

SPDX's set of standard licenses and ids (and scancode's somewhat
expanded similar set) are great for stating license info succinctly.

scancode is great at collecting the info that should go into the
debian copyright file.

My goal for this iteration at our licensing process was to automate
collection of license info for the shared libraries our binary uses.

Hi Dan,
    Am not sure what you're using for a build infrastructure, but there
are some solutions emerging in Yocto that may be relevant, as well
as the other projects that Philippe outlines.

 I checked with Richard and he confirms that
" The Yocto Project already builds everything with debug symbols which
get linked and separated into separate packages. It already uses
dwarfsrcfiles to generate a list of source code files which went into
creating a given binary.

The Project also has license information for each software recipe it
builds.

There are some work in progress patches, not quite ready to merge yet
but working which combine these two pieces of information, along with
scanning the source files for SPDX headers to give information about
the possible license a binary may be under."

So if you're using Yocto for your builds, and want to help get with the development
of this capability available faster,  rather than create a stand-alone tool feel free to
reach out to Richard (on cc).

Thanks, Kate

Re: Standalone license tools for scanning debian/ubuntu apps?

Philippe Ombredanne

Hi Dan:
You are asking a simple question for which is there is no simple
answer: this is not yet a solved problem and there is no easy button
to press.
Hence the long answer.

On Mon, Feb 4, 2019 at 8:20 PM Dan Kegel <dank@kegel.com> wrote:

Hi all!

Coming up with a list of licenses a binary is bound by is
a mind-boggling task that I avoid whenever possible.
I've been watching spdx and friends from afar for some time
in hopes they will help.

Recently I was asked to write a stateless, standalone tool that takes
a path to a
dynamically linked linux binary, and outputs an approximate list of licenses
the shared libraries it uses are bound by. Here's my current draft:
https://github.com/Oblong/obs/blob/master/ob-list-licenses

Roughly, it uses ldd and dpkg-query to locate copyright files
for all shared libraries it references, and then either
just outputs the License: values for DEP-5 copyright files,
or uses scancode to detect them for non-DEP-5 copyright files.

Now I'm plugging along, adding optional heuristics like
"XXX of dependencies can be filtered out (because I'm only interested
in the bits pulled in via dynamic linking)"
where XXX is "files: debian/*" and "files: doc/*"

Am I duplicating work? I looked at fossology, but its complexity kind
of disqualifies it
(nothing about it seems standalone or stateless).
Since you are trying to figure out the license of a shared object (aka
library, or DLL) you need to know the license of the files that are
compiled/linked in it.
And quite rightly, using Debian copyright files will help you find out
the license of the source files. So will a ScanCode scan (and it will
also look in the binaries and report anything that can be found
there).

But that would not help you find out which set of source files are
baked in that shared object and what is the effective license of the
shared object in many cases (short of applying some extra heuristics
or work on top).

The most common problem is when a package provides a library and a
command line too/utilities and each use a different license (typically
the library is LGPL and the command line utilities are GPL). There are
also other files such as build scripts, test files, documentation,
tools, etc that may use several other licenses. These are not linked
in the shared library and therefore would need to be parsed out to
properly conclude what is the effective shared object license.

As an example libcap-ng (one of the package you listed) is both small
and typical of many Linux libraries licensing and code organization
and the issues that come up when you are trying to find which license
applies to what.

- It is overall under LGPL-2.1 or later and in particular its library
is using this license [1] but its RPM spec file (libcap-ng.spec) is
not up to date and refers to an LGPL-2.0+ instead of a 2.1 version.
- Command line utilities are under GPL 2.0 [2]
- Some build scripts are MIT-licensed (configure.ac), or use other
similar licenses (INSTALL is FSFAP) or are GPL- or LGPL-licensed
(Makefile.am)
- The root directory contains a copy of the GPL 2 (COPYING) and LGPL
2.1 (COPYING.LIB) and another copy of the LGPL (LICENSE). But there
are no indication of which one applies to what except for the not
entirely correct spec file mentioned above.
- The corresponding Debian copyright file [3] is not structured to be
machine readable yet . Yet it provides a bit more information: the top
level license is properly reported as an LGPL-2.1 or later. And there
is a mention of the GPL-2.0-licensed build scripts and command line
utilities. But it also introduces a new GPL-3.0 license for the Debian
packaging removing some clarity to the licensing documentation.

The overall licensing is pretty clear when you are used to this after
a quick review (and the help of a ScanCode scan of course ;)): the
shared library license is LGPL-2.1-or-later and nothing else but
things are mighty difficult to automate to come to the same correct
conclusion.

If you could know which exact files are included in the shared
object/library, you could get back to these source files to get the
licensing information.
For this there are a few ways to go:
1. trace which files are compiled and linked the DLL
2. obtain that information from a DB or from a tool (without tracing)

1. For the tracing part
1.1- in the world of ELFs, you could use a debug build and parse out
debug symbols to get back the list of actual source files that are
based in that executable. There is contributed code in scancode [4] to
extract DWARF debug symbols and get the corresponding source code file
paths but that has not been fully integrated yet in the main tool.

1.2- you could trace the build such that you know exactly which files
are used and included in the .so. I maintain TraceCode for this [5]
and quartermaster [6] is also doing similar things (with different
approaches). TraceCode works from an strace system calls trace of an
unmodified/uninstrumented build to recreate/reverse engineer a build
graph as it happens in user space. This is not a magically automated
solution though and results require review and interpretation. But it
works not too badly on single libraries.

2. To obtain the information without tracing:
Some tool or database could have told which files are in the library
and which files are in the CLI utilities and which are build scripts
in a structured way. This is what are called facets [7] in scancode
which is a concept borrowed from ClearlyDefined [8]. But being able to
define facets and having facets defined is not the same. Scancode can
report facets for each file if you tell it. But it does not have yet
the ability to infer facets from the code such as for instance
assigning "Makefile.am" to a development/build scripts facets. Working
together on this would go a long way. There are a few Scancode pending
tickets on this [9] [10].
As for ClearlyDefined, our goal (I contribute to the project) is to
have facets possibly contributed as part of the curation and review
process. And any enhancement to Scancode to infer facets would also
benefit ClearlyDefined and would likely be of a great help to Debian
to improve copyright files that are not yet machine readable too.

[1] https://github.com/stevegrubb/libcap-ng/blob/master/libcap-ng.spec#L7
[2] https://github.com/stevegrubb/libcap-ng/blob/master/libcap-ng.spec#L57
[3] https://metadata.ftp-master.debian.org/changelogs/main/libc/libcap-ng/libcap-ng_0.7.7-3_copyright
[4] https://github.com/nexB/scancode-toolkit-contrib/tree/develop/src/compiledcode