Date

Re: SPDX Survey Results

Ian Kelling

Shane Coughlan <coughlan@linux.com> writes:

Hello all!

https://docs.google.com/forms/d/1uhYUlCwQ59ZveqSsGC_0h1OxRLYRb1OZprfRHVNYfys/edit#responses

Looking good.

Shall we start sharing on social media? If we all take a show, and include a link to the survey, I think we can get some more useful data.

Regards

Shane
Hello all!

https://docs.google.com/forms/d/1uhYUlCwQ59ZveqSsGC_0h1OxRLYRb1OZprfRHVNYfys/edit#responses

Looking good.

Shall we start sharing on social media? If we all take a show, and include a link to the survey, I think we can get some more useful data.

Regards

Shane
Surveys are great, but there's one important problem with this one. In
order to fill out your survey even read the complete questions, it
requires downloading and running the google docs proprietary software in
a browser which excludes people like myself who choose to avoid running
proprietary software whenever possible.

Background information about proprietary software in your browser:
https://www.gnu.org/philosophy/javascript-trap.en.html.

There are many reasons why it seems wrong to require people to run
nonfree software to contribute, I hope its fairly obvious, I can list
some if it isn't.

--
Ian Kelling | Senior Systems Administrator, Free Software Foundation
GPG Key: B125 F60B 7B28 7FF6 A2B7 DF8F 170A F0E2 9542 95DF

Re: Adding a new opendata-focus license?

J Lovejoy

Hi Bastien,

The process for requesting a new license be added to the SPDX License List is documented here: https://github.com/spdx/license-list-XML/blob/master/CONTRIBUTING.md (and happy to get your feedback on the documentation of the process!)

By the way - It looks like you sent this to the general mailing list, not the legal mailing list, as this got caught up in our filter. I have released it (obviously), but you might want to make sure you are actually on the legal mailing list here: https://lists.spdx.org/g/spdx-legal (and I’m replying to both lists, but bcc the general list, as we try to keep specific topics to the specific lists)

SPDX legal team co-lead

On Sep 4, 2019, at 2:57 AM, Bastien <bastien.guerry@...> wrote:

Dear all,

I'm working for Etalab, the mission for promoting and coordinating
Open Data publications in the french public sector.

The most commonly used license for french open data is the "Open
License", published and maintained by Etalab.  Roughly speaking, it is
equivalent to a CC-by 4.0.  You can read it here:

https://www.etalab.gouv.fr/wp-content/uploads/2018/11/open-licence.pdf

What is the process to ask and get a SPDX identifier for this license?

I am sorry if the question has been raised before, I have been on this
list since a few months only.

Thanks in advance for any answer!

Bastien Guerry

Adding a new opendata-focus license?

Bastien

Dear all,

I'm working for Etalab, the mission for promoting and coordinating
Open Data publications in the french public sector.

The most commonly used license for french open data is the "Open
License", published and maintained by Etalab. Roughly speaking, it is
equivalent to a CC-by 4.0. You can read it here:

https://www.etalab.gouv.fr/wp-content/uploads/2018/11/open-licence.pdf

What is the process to ask and get a SPDX identifier for this license?

I am sorry if the question has been raised before, I have been on this
list since a few months only.

Thanks in advance for any answer!

Bastien Guerry

SPDX General Meeting 2019 (updated conference link)

Phil Odence

Uberconference changed their platform; I’ve updated the link below.

Please accept this recurring meeting.

*****

I’m extending this recurring meeting to run through 2019. Please accept so it is updated on your calendar, however no need to send a response to me.

New dial in number: 415-881-1586

No PIN needed

The weblink for screenshare will stay the same at:
https://www.uberconference.com/room/spdxteam

MEETING MINUTES FOR REVIEW: http://spdx.org/wiki/meeting-minutes-and-decisions

SPDX Sept General Meeting Minutes

Phil Odence

General Meeting/Minutes/2019-09-05

< General Meeting‎ | Minutes

·         Attendance: 17

·         Lead by Phil Odence

·         Minutes of Aug meeting approved

Contents

 [hide

·         1 Special Presentations - Hiro Fukuchi, Sony

·         2 Tech Team Report - Gary

·         3 Legal Team Report - Jilayne/Paul/Steve

·         4 Outreach Team Report - Jack

·         5 Cross Functional -

·         6 Attendees

Special Presentations - Hiro Fukuchi, Sony[edit]

·         SPDX- Lite

·         Open Chain Japan Work Group

·         Member companies- Toyota, Denso, Panasonic, Pioneer, Sony, Fujitsu, Olympus, Renesas

·         Common Problem- Can’t get OSS information from suppliers (HW vendors, ODMs, SOC, partners…in Asia (China/Taiwan) and Japan

·         They don’t have complete information

·         Don’t have the tools to generate and evaluate

·         SPDX Lite is part of guidelines

·         Fits in at a fairly high level of maturity

·         OpenChain - “Making Process”

·         SPDX (and OSS tooling) - “Improving Process”

·         Most suppliers are at low levels of maturity

·         Looking not to fork, but to expand usage of SPDX Lite

·         Lite Description

·         Subset of SPDX

·         Minimum requirement

·         Can be manually generated

·         Proved in actual business use

·         Scenarios

·         1 Unskilled suppliers

·         Useful at a lower level of maturity than SPDX requires

·         2 Non-engineering Staff

·         More understandable by Legal and Procurement staff.

·         Skilled suppliers would still use full SPDX

·         OpenChain compliant suppliers would be sophisticated enough

·         Question: Is SPDX Lite fully SPDX compliant

·         Yes, all mandatory fields are included in SPDX Lite plus some of the optional fields may be included.

Tech Team Report - Gary[edit]

·         Spec

·         Being worked in a GitHub repo

·         Set up for pull requests for 2.2

·         Anyone who has ideas or proposed changes, please submit as a pull request

·         One in place is SPDX Lite

·         Proposal is as an Appendix

·         Thought is a profile for a specific use case

·         Could be first of a number of profiles

·         Tools

·         Successful conclusion to GSoC

·         All passed

·         A number of new libraries including Python, Golang

·         Mentors and students were great

·         Record number of projects

·         Challenge now is integrating and putting into production

·         All legal team tools have been submitted as pull requests

·         Should be up and running in a month or so.

Legal Team Report - Jilayne/Paul/Steve[edit]

·         Legal Team License Submittal Demo (GSoC)

·         Video and minutes available

·         Need to update contribution instructions

·         Team call today

·         License List

·         3.7 release at end of month

·         Fewer licenses in release that some recents

·         Recent discussions have been more high level on principles than specific licenses

Outreach Team Report - Jack[edit]

·         Survey

·         Has been out for a few months

·         Will make one more pass

·         Looking at presenting at Gen Meeting in Nov

·         Philipe has been talking to the Python community about using SPDX License IDs and expressions in Python package manifest

·         Could be a model for other communities

·         …some of which have been using formally or informally

·         Potentially high leverage

·         RUST and Go are using sporadically

Cross Functional -[edit]

·         None

Attendees[edit]

·         Phil Odence, Black Duck/Synopsys

·         Steve Winslow, LF

·         Gary O’Neall, SourceAuditor

·         Jack Manbeck, TI

·         Nicolas Toussaint, Orange

·         Mark Atwood, Amazon

·         Jilayne Lovejoy, Canonical

·         Hiro Fukuchi, Sony

·         Shinsuke Kato, Panasonic

·         Philippe Ombrédanne- nexB

·         Michael Herzog, NexB

·         Patrice-Emmanuel Schmitz, Trasys International, European Commission

·         Richard Fontana, Red Hat

·         Mark Baushke, Juniper

·         Paul Madick, Dimension Data

·         Nisha Kumar, VMWare

·         David Marr, Qualcomm

Re: Thursday SPDX General Meeting Reminder...with interesting guest presentations.

Hiro Fukuchi

Hi all,

Thank you for the meeting.

I would like to send my slides.

---

Hiro Fukuchi (Hiroyuki.Fukuchi@...)

Sony

From: "spdx@..." <spdx@...> on behalf of Hiro Fukuchi <hiroyuki.fukuchi@...>
Date: Thursday, August 29, 2019 at 9:25 AM
To: "spdx@..." <spdx@...>
Cc: "openchain-japan-wg-licinf@..." <openchain-japan-wg-licinf@...>

Hi Phil-san and all,

My name is Hiro Fukuchi from Sony.

I am a member of the OpenChain project Japan workgroup.

Can I join the next uberconference and explain about the background of the SPDX Lite which is being proposed by Japan workgroup.

I am creating the slides for explanation.

---

Hiro Fukuchi (Hiroyuki.Fukuchi@...)

Sony

95日木曜日 11:00-12:00 (UTC-05:00) 東部標準時 (米国およびカナダ)
Where: Bridge info enclosed

When: Occurs every month on the first Thursday of the month from 11:00 AM to 12:00 PM effective 8/2/2018 until 1/1/2020. (UTC-05:00) Eastern Time (US & Canada)
Where: Bridge info enclosed

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

I’m extending this recurring meeting to run through 2019. Please accept so it is updated on your calendar, however no need to send a response to me.

New dial in number: 415-881-1586

No PIN needed

The weblink for screenshare will stay the same at:
http://uberconference.com/SPDXTeam

Re: SPDX General Meeting

Phil Odence

Fukuchi-san,

This sounds like a great idea.

I will contact you about this.

When: 201995日木曜日 11:00-12:00 (UTC-05:00) 東部標準時 (米国およびカナダ)
Where: Bridge info enclosed

When: Occurs every month on the first Thursday of the month from 11:00 AM to 12:00 PM effective 8/2/2018 until 1/1/2020. (UTC-05:00) Eastern Time (US & Canada)
Where: Bridge info enclosed

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*
I’m extending this recurring meeting to run through 2019. Please accept so it is updated on your calendar, however no need to send a response to me.

New dial in number: 415-881-1586
No PIN needed
The weblink for screenshare will stay the same at:
http://uberconference.com/SPDXTeam

Working with Python maintainers to adopt SPDX license expressions

Philippe Ombredanne

All:
I started working with the Python community to draft what we call a
PEP (Python Enhancement Proposal) to adopt SPDX license expressions to
document the license of Python packages.
You can join the discussions here:
https://discuss.python.org/t/improving-license-clarity-with-better-package-metadata/2154/57
And see, comment and propose updates to the draft PEP here:
https://github.com/pombredanne/spdx-pypi-pep/pull/2
--
Cordially
Philippe Ombredanne

+1 650 799 0949 | pombredanne@nexB.com
DejaCode - What's in your code?! - http://www.dejacode.com
AboutCode - Open source for open source - https://www.aboutcode.org
nexB Inc. - http://www.nexb.com

Re: SPDX 2019 Survey - Ready for your thoughts - Let's collect data

Phil Odence

Thanks, Shane, for your work on this and for sending out.

SPDXers,
in addition to sharing your thoughts, please forward to anyone colleagues or acquaintances whom you think might have a useful perspective.

Phil

On 8/6/19, 5:32 PM, "spdx@lists.spdx.org on behalf of Shane Coughlan" <spdx@lists.spdx.org on behalf of coughlan@linux.com> wrote:

Dear all

The SPDX 2019 Survey is now open and accepting contributions:
https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__forms.gle_h958R6kkvFhxRJtz7&;d=DwIFAg&c=DPL6_X_6JkXFx7AXWqB0tg&r=6RejxoO58WZ8e0SKjO9DwnbnAWbcLSaQRQp3CZDH85w&m=aQam-BJyZPypGLr32LS3C2O_wHyP41mqY3R_zeeLbnY&s=JDrekKfFj8YxDxZ7wpimHqc54vZdBsJx0pv-fwfrndc&e=

Please help us with building out information regarding the status of the community and what we need to do next. The survey should only take 3~5 minutes.

Regards

Shane

--
Shane Coughlan
General Manager, OpenChain

Schedule a call:
https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__calendly.com_shanecoughlan&;d=DwIFAg&c=DPL6_X_6JkXFx7AXWqB0tg&r=6RejxoO58WZ8e0SKjO9DwnbnAWbcLSaQRQp3CZDH85w&m=aQam-BJyZPypGLr32LS3C2O_wHyP41mqY3R_zeeLbnY&s=WCdJEEFPfF2XvjP-nhu-qi2_R2mQAVRW9gdR5EBGfbQ&e=

SPDX 2019 Survey - Ready for your thoughts - Let's collect data

Shane Coughlan <coughlan@...>

https://forms.gle/h958R6kkvFhxRJtz7

Please help us with building out information regarding the status of the community and what we need to do next. The survey should only take 3~5 minutes.

Regards

Shane

--
Shane Coughlan
General Manager, OpenChain
e: coughlan@linux.com
p: +81 (0) 80 4035 8083
w: www.openchainproject.org

Schedule a call:
https://calendly.com/shanecoughlan

SPDX Aug General Meeting Minutes

Phil Odence

https://wiki.spdx.org/view/General_Meeting/Minutes/2019-08-01

General Meeting/Minutes/2019-08-01

< General Meeting‎ | Minutes

·         Attendance: 11

·         Lead by Phil Odence

·         Minutes of July meeting approved

Contents

 [hide

·         1 Special Presentations - Umang Taneja, Tanjong Smith, GSoC

·         2 Tech Team Report - Kate/Gary

·         3 Legal Team Report - Jilayne/Paul/Steve

·         4 Outreach Team Report - Kate

·         5 Cross Functional -

·         6 Attendees

Special Presentations - Umang Taneja, Tanjong Smith, GSoC[edit]

·         Umang

·         License submittal workflow automation

·         Aim is to enhance user experience

·         Compare submitted text against existing licenses to see if there’s duplication or close match

·         Problems he’s trying address

·         What if the license is on the list, proposed, rejected…or a close match to one of those

·         Current XML formatting- word-wrap doesn’t match license

·         Also creating/documenting an API

·         Tasks:

·         Create API- use without logging in, so can be accessed by other tools

·         Create License Matcher- looks for exact and close matches

·         Returns all matches and close matches

·         Compare with not accepted as well as rejected licenses.

·         Reports appropriately according to match

·         Relies on user input regarding whether to go ahead with submittal

·         Improve formatting of generated license

·         Screenshots available at: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1NMcLZVXxBV2PZobPJh1OugbCfC2d8kbAOX4m4TauEYk/edit?usp=sharing

·         Some discussion of how the workflow should work with close matches

·         Aiming for demo in future Legal Team meeting

·         Tanjong

·         License namespace

·         A way to name valid licenses outside of the License List

·         Created namespace and UI

·         Also a mechanism for turning into a license request

·         Took feedback from the joint/legal team meeting

Tech Team Report - Kate/Gary[edit]

·         Spec

·         Progress on Appendix for including other fields in the source like the license ID

·         Keeping scope at file level

·         Tags with SPDX prefix

·         Allows to make it easier for tools to pick up.

·         Source file analysis

·         Philip demoed

·         Heavy testing mode

·         Tools

·         GSoC

·         Continues to go very well

·         All students passed second evaluation

·         Looking for feedback from community:

·         License matching algorithm approaches

·         Some encoded rules

·         Some depended on XML markup

·         Should we encode in XML or handle programmatically? (Discuss with Gary)

Legal Team Report - Jilayne/Paul/Steve[edit]

·         License List

·         3.6 version went out last month

·         Working issues in 3.7

·         Good input/support from Tech Team

·         Recent meetings have been joint with Tech Team

·         Very helpful at this point

Outreach Team Report - Kate[edit]

·         Shane has readied the survey

Cross Functional -[edit]

·         None

Attendees[edit]

·         Phil Odence, Black Duck/Synopsys

·         Matthew Crawford, ARM

·         Umang Taneja, GSoC

·         Tanjong Smith, GSoC

·         Steve Winslow, LF

·         Gary O’Neall, SourceAuditor

·         Kate Stewart, Linux Foundation

·         Paul Madick, Dimension Data

·         Mark Atwood, Amazon

·         Jilayne Lovejoy, Canonical

·         Jack Manbeck, TI