Date

Re: SPDX at Leadership Summit in March

Philip Odence

Hello,

If you did not respond to this before, please do now. Thanks

BLACKDUCK
L. Philip Odence
VP/General Manager Black Duck On-Demand
Black Duck Software, Inc.
800 District Avenue, Suite 201
Burlington, MA 01803-5061
E: podence@...
O: +1.781.425.4479
M: +1.781.258.9502
Skype: philip.odence
www.blackducksoftware.com

From: Philip Odence <podence@...>
Date: Wednesday, November 22, 2017 at 9:46 AM
To: "spdx@..." <spdx@...>, "spdx-tech@..." <spdx-tech@...>, "spdx-biz@..." <spdx-biz@...>, "spdx-legal@..." <spdx-legal@...>
Subject: SPDX at Leadership Summit in March

As you may know, the Linux Foundation Leadership Summit is in Sonoma, March 6-8. Additionally, there will be group meetings on the Monday before and Friday after for SPDX and Open Chain respectively.

The call for papers was just published. Please consider submitting a paper. There’s an appetite for talks on SPDX tooling, automation or usage.

http://events.linuxfoundation.org/events/open-source-leadership-summit/program/callforproposals

Please take this 1 minute survey to give a sense of the likelihood or your attending:

https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/NLX7KXN

BLACKDUCK
L. Philip Odence
VP/General Manager Black Duck On-Demand
Black Duck Software, Inc.
800 District Avenue, Suite 201
Burlington, MA 01803-5061
E: podence@...
O: +1.781.425.4479
M: +1.781.258.9502
Skype: philip.odence
www.blackducksoftware.com

Thursday SPDX General Meeting Reminder

Philip Odence

Happy New Year. No guest speaker this month, therefore should be a fairly short meeting.

GENERAL MEETING

Meeting Time: Thurs, Jan 4, 8am PDT / 10 am CDT / 11am EDT / 15:00 UTC. http://www.timeanddate.com/worldclock/converter.html

Conf call dial-in:

New dial in number: 415-881-1586

No PIN needed

The weblink for screenshare will stay the same at:
http://uberconference.com/SPDXTeam

Minutes Approval: https://wiki.spdx.org/view/General_Meeting/Minutes/2017-12-07

Technical Team Report – Kate/Gary

Legal Team Report – Jilayne/Paul

Outreach Team Report – Jack

Cross Functional Issues –All

Re: SPDX License List 3.0 is now live!

W. Trevor King

On Fri, Dec 29, 2017 at 03:26:47PM -0500, Neal Gompa wrote:
Aww man, you've got to be kidding? You got rid of the "+" signifier
and now we have to write out words?!

I really don't like this change. It makes things more verbose for no
benefit.
This issue has seen a a lot of discussion over the past year (going
back at least as far as May [1]). I'm also not wild about the change
(although there are *some* benefits), but discussing it should
probably be an issue for the spdx-legal@ list only (no need to drag in
spdx@ or spdx-biz@, and the spdx-tech@ folks are probably all
listening on spdx-legal@ anyway). I propose we continue this
discussion on spdx-legal@ only, and have only included the other
spdx-*@ in my message in case folks there are wondering where the
conversation went ;).

Cheers,
Trevor

[1]: https://lists.spdx.org/pipermail/spdx-legal/2017-May/001975.html
Subject: various threads on "only" suffix (for GPL)
Date: Fri, 26 May 2017 11:01:44 -0600

Re: SPDX License List 3.0 is now live!

Neal Gompa

On Fri, Dec 29, 2017 at 12:27 PM, J Lovejoy <opensource@jilayne.com> wrote:
Hi all,

Thanks to a lot of hard work by various members of the SPDX legal team, we
have now (finally!) gone live with version 3.0 of the SPDX License List -
including use of the new XML format for the master files and changes to the
GNU license identifiers due to collaboration with the FSF. As always, you
can see the new version at the usual place: https://spdx.org/licenses/

There is still some odds and ends to tidy up, and we’ll have a blog post
with a more thorough description of the changes after the 1st of the year.
In the meantime, I hope everyone enjoys the holiday weekend and New Year’s
festivities (in whatever form you choose)!

Thanks again to the massive effort by the SPDX legal team and tech team
members who have tirelessly made this happen!
Aww man, you've got to be kidding? You got rid of the "+" signifier
and now we have to write out words?!

I really don't like this change. It makes things more verbose for no benefit.

Re: SPDX License List 3.0 is now live!

Philip Odence

AMAZING!

And, of course, Jilayne deserves kudos beyond measure.

From: <spdx-bounces@...> on behalf of Jilayne Lovejoy <opensource@...>
Date: Friday, December 29, 2017 at 12:27 PM
To: SPDX-legal <spdx-legal@...>
Cc: "spdx-tech@..." <spdx-tech@...>, SPDX-biz <spdx-biz@...>, SPDX-general <spdx@...>
Subject: SPDX License List 3.0 is now live!

Hi all,

Thanks to a lot of hard work by various members of the SPDX legal team, we have now (finally!) gone live with version 3.0 of the SPDX License List - including use of the new XML format for the master files and changes to the GNU license identifiers due to collaboration with the FSF. As always, you can see the new version at the usual place: https://spdx.org/licenses/

There is still some odds and ends to tidy up, and we’ll have a blog post with a more thorough description of the changes after the 1st of the year.  In the meantime, I hope everyone enjoys the holiday weekend and New Year’s festivities (in whatever form you choose)!

Thanks again to the massive effort by the SPDX legal team and tech team members who have tirelessly made this happen!

SPDX Legal Team co-lead
opensource@...

SPDX License List 3.0 is now live!

Thanks to a lot of hard work by various members of the SPDX legal team, we have now (finally!) gone live with version 3.0 of the SPDX License List - including use of the new XML format for the master files and changes to the GNU license identifiers due to collaboration with the FSF. As always, you can see the new version at the usual place: https://spdx.org/licenses/

There is still some odds and ends to tidy up, and we’ll have a blog post with a more thorough description of the changes after the 1st of the year.  In the meantime, I hope everyone enjoys the holiday weekend and New Year’s festivities (in whatever form you choose)!

Thanks again to the massive effort by the SPDX legal team and tech team members who have tirelessly made this happen!

SPDX Legal Team co-lead
opensource@...

Re: FreeBSD adding in SPDX license identifers too...

Shane Martin Coughlan <shane@...>

Hi Kate

I think this is just as exciting as the kernel development. It’s a fantastic example of cross-community collaboration. I’ve shared this news on social media and also wanted to throw my hat into the ring to lend a hand where useful.

Regards

Shane

On Dec 8, 2017, at 04:02 , Kate Stewart <kstewart@...> wrote:

And in addition to Linux getting serious in terms of adding SPDX identifiers,
we also have FreeBSD applying them to their code base.

Kate

From: Pedro Giffuni <pfg@...>
Date: Thu, Dec 7, 2017 at 11:31 AM
To: SPDX-legal <spdx-legal@...>

Hi legal-team!

As a follow up to the monthly meeting (thanks for the invitation), here is the link to FreeBSD preferred license:

https://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/articles/committers-guide/pref-license.html

Which of course now includes the SPDX ID-license identifier :).

Best regards,

Pedro.

SPDX license identifiers in the Linux kernel

Kate Stewart

Some of you have already noticed that this started in 2016
but as of 4.14, we had a major breakthrough and cleanup
of all the files without a license reference all had SDPX identifiers
added to them.

There are some good writeups of the work emerging.

LWN has an excellent summary with links to more references at:

There's also a good blog by one of the kernel developers
from Samsung explaining how to add the identifiers as well
that came out last week.

Some other excellent documentation that has emerged
including how to integrate SPDX one liners into a project
is available at:  https://reuse.software/practices/  which the linux kernel
developers have consulted and worked with for the kernel.

Thanks, Kate

SPDX General Meeting Minutes

Gary O'Neall

The minutes for the general meeting have been posted at https://wiki.spdx.org/view/General_Meeting/Minutes/2017-12-07

Principal Consultant

Source Auditor Inc.

Mobile: 408.805.0586

Email: gary@...

Thurs SPDX General Meeting (with special guest speaker) Reminder

Philip Odence

We are fortunate to have Pedro Giffuni speaking with us on Thursday. Pedro is a Mechanical Engineer by profession but has been using FreeBSD since 1997, and eventually became a project committer in 2012. As part of his involvement in FreeBSD he also became an OpenOffice developer and was involved in the transition from a copyleft project under Oracle's umbrella to a permissively licensed project in order to become an Apache Software Foundation Top Level Project.

Outline of the talk:
- How is Licensing handled in Open Source projects.
- About FreeBSD and it's objectives.
- Why SPDX is important to FreeBSD.
- Strategy for adoption.
- Progress Report.
- Practical issues.
- Open questions.
_______

Apologies, I have had a conflict arise, so Gary will be hosting.

GENERAL MEETING

Meeting Time: Thurs, Dec 7, 8am PDT / 10 am CDT / 11am EDT / 15:00 UTC. http://www.timeanddate.com/worldclock/converter.html

Conf call dial-in:

New dial in number: 415-881-1586

No PIN needed

The weblink for screenshare will stay the same at:
http://uberconference.com/SPDXTeam

Minutes Approval: https://wiki.spdx.org/view/General_Meeting/Minutes/2017-11-02

Guest Presenation – Pedro

[...]

SPDX General Meeting 2018

Philip Odence

Note that we will be using a different dial in and different URL for future SPDX General Meetings.

Apologies for my having to send a new invitation. For some reason Outlook won’t let me update the original. So, you’ll have to delete the old. I called this one 2018, so there would be no confusion. (I hope)

Please accept so this recurring meeting is on your calendar, however no need to respond.

New dial in number: 415-881-1586

No PIN needed

The weblink for screenshare will stay the same at:
http://uberconference.com/SPDXTeam

MEETING MINUTES FOR REVIEW: http://spdx.org/wiki/meeting-minutes-and-decisions

SPDX General Meeting: New Web Meeting Number and URL

Philip Odence

I will follow this email with an updated invitation to the General Meeting. Please accept the recurring meeting even if you can’t make the upcoming Dec meeting.

FSFE Recommends use of SPDX License Identifiers

Manbeck, Jack

We were excited to see this and wanted to share. As part of Project REUSE the FSFE is recommending use of SPDX License Identifiers.

https://spdx.org/news/news/2017/11/fsfe-recommends-license-identifiers-part-project-reuse

(Click the link for the page with the Video)

SPDXTeam - new dial in number for meetings, same web link.

    We were able to get the SPDXTeam Uberconference updated
last Thursday to remove the limit on number of people attending
the call.  Yay!!!   However,  as a result of this,  we had to change the dial in number.

New dial in number: 415-881-1586
No PIN needed

The weblink for screenshare will stay the same at:
http://uberconference.com/SPDXTeam

Meeting times for teams will remain the same, as indicated
on the page for each Team Work Area on https://wiki.spdx.org

Thanks, Kate

Re: Minutes of Nov SPDX General Meeting

Kate Stewart

Hi Phil,
     Couple of comments on the Prague section,  added them inline, but that's probably
not clear - so can you substitute the following in the minutes?

Prague
  • SPDX Open Source Tools Session
    • MarkG demoed sparts as part of Intel booth,  and illustrated how Hyperledger with SPDX can be used in supply chain
    • Thomas Steenbergen announced open source review toolkit (ORT) and provided overview of ScanCode
    • Michael Jaeger reviewed how SW360 and new release of FOSSology can be used to work with SPDX
    • source{d} discussed proposal they're working on to apply machine learning to license recognition.
    • Kate overviewed the SPDX tools repository and some of the newer additions by GSoC students as well as the test suite.
  • Kate did a talk on "automating license compliance - filling in the missing pieces" - more info at http://sched.co/BxI3.
    • Lots of developer interest in this topic now.
  • FOSSology Hands-on training had section on SPDX documents, that she presented.

Thanks,   Kate

On Thu, Nov 2, 2017 at 10:18 AM, Phil Odence <podence@...> wrote:

https://wiki.spdx.org/view/General_Meeting/Minutes/2017-11-02

General Meeting/Minutes/2017-11-02

General Meeting‎ | Minutes

  • Attendance: 5
  • Lead by Phil Odence
  • Minutes of Oct meeting approved

Contents

 [hide

Tech Team Report - Kate[edit]

  • Focus on new license list
    • Getting ready
    • Adding FSF Libre field
    • Trevor extending to an API, if they want to push changes, or we can pull
  • Prague
    • Sessions
should be "SPDX Tools Session"
      • MarkG demoed Hyperledger with SPDX
      • Thomas Steenbergen announced open source review tool
(ORT) Open Source Review Toolkit working with ScanCode to generate SPDX files
      • Michael Jaeger showed a new tools as well
SW360 and FOSSology to generate SPDX files.
      • Source D showed machine learning in license recognition
source{d} discussed proposal they're working on to apply machine learning to license recognition.
    • Kate talked about LF tools
about SPDX tools (and GSOC contributions)

      • Kate did a talk on automating license compliance
link to more info:  http://sched.co/BxI3.    Lots of developer interest in this topic now.
      • She also participated in FOSSology training with a basic SPDX presentation
      • Lots of Developer representation
    • SPDX tagging seems to be getting traction with developers
  • Upcoming talks at the Open Compliance Summit in Yokahama
    • Several will touch on SPDX

Legal Team Report - Paul[edit]

  • XML project continues well
  • Still discussions on “or later” issue
    • On hold for the moment as Jilayne is out

Outreach Team Report[edit]

  • Jack still working on testing tools

Attendees[edit]

  • Phil Odence, Black Duck
  • Kate Stewart, Linux Foundation
  • Paul Madick, Dimension Data
  • Mike Dolan, Linux Foundation
  • Bradlee Edmondson, Harvard

[...]

Re: Reminder Thursday SPDX General Meeting

W. Trevor King

On Tue, Oct 31, 2017 at 12:16:17PM +0000, Phil Odence wrote:
Meeting Time: Thurs, Nov2, 8am PDT / 10 am CDT / 11am EDT / 15:00
UTC. http://www.timeanddate.com/worldclock/converter.html
For folks who keep a digital calendar, there's an iCalendar file which
includes this meeting in flight with [1]. You can import the calendar
from [2] now if you don't want to wait for the PR to land, although
folks who do that will probably need to re-import if/when the PR lands
and I remove the branch from my repository.

Cheers,
Trevor

[1]: https://github.com/spdx/spdx-spec/pull/42
[2]: https://raw.githubusercontent.com/wking/spdx-spec/meeting.ics/meeting.ics