Date   

Updated Invitation: SPDX Legal Workstream (Rollout) Call 11ET/10CT/8PT @ Wed Dec 15 8am - 9am (spdx@fossbazaar.org)

Esteban Rockett <mgia3940@...>
 

This event has been changed.

Changed: SPDX Legal Workstream (Rollout) Call 11ET/10CT/8PT

All:

After successful work to date, the SPDX team has established 3 workstreams (Legal, Business & Technical) to further efficient continued progress of SDPX.

Towards this end, this notice is to invite any interested attorney or software license professional to the SPDX Legal Workstream.

The Agenda for this first Rollout meeting will be:

(1) Outlining the Objectives of the Legal Workstream;
(2) Summary of work done in the prior "SPDX Licensing Track", and remaining items; and
(3) Presentation of SPDX Beta 1.0 abstracts; and fielding remaining questions from Linux Foundation Member Counsel on Beta 1.0.

For all those attending, please add your name to the "NEW" SPDX Legal Workstream Mailing List. You can join the Mailing List by going to the http://spdx.org/wiki/spdx/legal link.

Many thanks,

Rockett

Motorola Inc.
E.A. Rockett
Senior Counsel
Software, Applications &
Digital Content Licensing
(408)541-6703 (O)
(408)541-6900 (F)
(415)508-7625 (M)
rockett@...

When
Wed Dec 15 8am – 9am Pacific Time
Where
Conference Bridge 1.877.825.8522 PIN:0376146 (map)
Calendar
spdx@...
Who
Esteban Rockett - organizer
tony.gomes@...
adcohn@...
feb.cabrasawan@...
Mikko.Amper@...
rfontana@...
jmcbroom@...
Alexandra.Siegel@...
linda.shih@...
jwacha@...
mpierovi@...
smortin@...
kathleen.mullins@...
rtiller@...
amanda.brock@...
alastern@...
ilardi@...
sadams@...
paul.madick@...
areid@...
owen.james.boyle@...
bgieseman@...
Guy.Colpitts@...
pmcbride@...
scott.k.peterson@...
mrc@...
tcarlson@...
spaek@...
andrew.wilson@...
barbara.reilly@...
gsjones@...
JOHN ELLIS
bkahin@...
mccoy.smith@...
andrew.updegrove@...
ssemel@...
kcopenhaver@...
spdx@...
spdx-legal-request@...

Going?   Yes - Maybe - No    more options »

Invitation from Google Calendar

You are receiving this courtesy email at the account spdx@... because you are an attendee of this event.

To stop receiving future notifications for this event, decline this event. Alternatively you can sign up for a Google account at https://www.google.com/calendar/ and control your notification settings for your entire calendar.


Invitation: SPDX SPDX Legal Workstream (Rollout) Call 11ET/10CT/8PT @ Wed Dec 15 8am - 9am (spdx@fossbazaar.org)

Esteban Rockett <mgia3940@...>
 

SPDX SPDX Legal Workstream (Rollout) Call 11ET/10CT/8PT

All:

After successful work to date, the SPDX team has established 3 workstreams (Legal, Business & Technical) to further efficient continued progress of SDPX.

Towards this end, this notice is to invite any interested attorney or software license professional to the SPDX Legal Workstream.

The Agenda for this first Rollout meeting will be:

(1) Outlining the Objectives of the Legal Workstream;
(2) Summary of work done in the prior "SPDX Licensing Track", and remaining items; and
(3) Presentation of SPDX Beta 1.0 abstracts; and fielding remaining questions from Linux Foundation Member Counsel on Beta 1.0.

For all those attending, please add your name to the "NEW" SPDX Legal Workstream Mailing List. You can join the Mailing List by going to the http://spdx.org/wiki/spdx/legal link.

Many thanks,

Rockett

Motorola Inc.
E.A. Rockett
Senior Counsel
Software, Applications &
Digital Content Licensing
(408)541-6703 (O)
(408)541-6900 (F)
(415)508-7625 (M)
rockett@...

When
Wed Dec 15 8am – 9am Pacific Time
Where
Conference Bridge 1.877.825.8522 PIN:0376146 (map)
Calendar
spdx@...
Who
Esteban Rockett - organizer
tony.gomes@...
adcohn@...
feb.cabrasawan@...
Mikko.Amper@...
rfontana@...
jmcbroom@...
Alexandra.Siegel@...
linda.shih@...
jwacha@...
mpierovi@...
smortin@...
kathleen.mullins@...
rtiller@...
amanda.brock@...
alastern@...
ilardi@...
sadams@...
paul.madick@...
areid@...
owen.james.boyle@...
bgieseman@...
Guy.Colpitts@...
pmcbride@...
scott.k.peterson@...
mrc@...
tcarlson@...
spaek@...
andrew.wilson@...
barbara.reilly@...
gsjones@...
JOHN ELLIS
bkahin@...
mccoy.smith@...
andrew.updegrove@...
ssemel@...
kcopenhaver@...
spdx@...

Going?   Yes - Maybe - No    more options »

Invitation from Google Calendar

You are receiving this courtesy email at the account spdx@... because you are an attendee of this event.

To stop receiving future notifications for this event, decline this event. Alternatively you can sign up for a Google account at https://www.google.com/calendar/ and control your notification settings for your entire calendar.


Re: Python History and License

Tom Incorvia
 

New Proposal for SPDX license tracking related to the Python project and Python “License”:

 

1.       Track "Python License" separate from "Python License Stack". 

a.       The Python Programming Language, regardless of version, would be attributed to the stack

b.      However, other projects can be licensed specifically under the Python License (which is ONLY the first license in the stack).

 

That’s it.

 

An update to the graphic from two weeks ago is attached.  The highlighted portions are new.

 

Tom

 

 

Tom Incorvia

tom.incorvia@...

Direct:  (512) 340-1336

Mobile: (408) 499 6850



This message has been scanned for viruses by MailController.


Minutes from 2 Dec SPDX General Meeting and IMPORTANT notice

Philip Odence
 

IMPORTANT: We need interested folks to sign up for the respective mailing lists for the three teams (Technical, Business, Legal). In the next month or so, invitations to those teams' meetings will go only to the team lists. This general list will continue to be used to announce and circulate minutes for the General Meeting. If you need help see the memo from Martin I copied below. Or let me know if you have questions.


Thanks,
Phil



FROM MARTIN M:


As Phil mentioned during the last SPDX call, we added a number of
mailing lists to facilitate discussions of specific areas.  This list
(spdx@...) will continue to be used for general discussions
but discussions about specific topics (technical development of the
spec; rollout and other business aspects; and legal aspects) will take
place on the other mailing lists.  If you want to participate in the
technical, business or legal team discussions, you therefore have to
subscribe to their mailing lists.

You can find a link to the mailing lists on each team wiki page:




Follow the link to the mailing list and on the page for the mailing list
search for "Subscribing to".  Enter your email address, name (optional)
and password and click on "Subscribe".  You will then get an email with
a link that you have to follow in order to confirm their subscription.

Mailing list archives are also available so you can check if you missed
any discussions.

If you have any questions or problems, please let me know.


SPDX License Review: Part 3 10ET/7PT

Kim Weins
 

8:00 AM - 9:00 AM December 3, 2010
Location: See dial in below


US  866-740-1260
Int'l  http://www.readytalk.com/support/international-numbers.php

ID 2404502

Web Meeting
Www.readytalk.com
ID 2404502

We will continue to work on license list issues.

older license versions that are missing:
-         we don’t have EUPL v1.0, MPL v1.0, NPL v1.0, other OSL versions,
AFL, etc.


license-specific issues:
-         X.Net License à this is really an LGPL notice + special exception
- should we have it as a separate license?
-         Zlib/libpng License à note: this is the zlib license, but OSI
calls it the zlib/libpng license.  Yet there is a different license for
libpng:  see http://www.libpng.org/pub/png/src/libpng-LICENSE.txt
<http://www.libpng.org/pub/png/src/libpng-LICENSE.txt>


Agenda for SPDX meeting today

Philip Odence
 

As discussed last meeting, we are evolving this to the be the SPDX General Meeting, the main purpose being sharing and cross functional coordination between the Technical, Business and Legal Teams. This will be the first General Meeting per se and we will be trying a new agenda structure.


Meeting Time: Dec 2, 8am PDT / 10 am CDT / 11am EDT / 16:00 UTC. http://www.timeanddate.com/worldclock/converter.html

Conf call dial-in:
Conference code:  7812589502
Toll-free dial-in number (U.S. and Canada):  (877) 435-0230
International dial-in number: (253) 336-6732
For those dialing in from other regions, a list of toll free numbers can be found: 
https://www.intercallonline.com/portlets/scheduling/viewNumbers/viewNumber.do?ownerNumber=6053870&audioType=RP&viewGa=false&ga=OFF

Web:
Note, we will be using a different URL for each meeting for purposes of taking attendance. When you login PLEASE INCLUDE YOUR FULL NAME IN THIS FORM: Phil Odence, Black Duck Software so I can just copy/paste into minutes. THXhttp://blackducksoftware.na6.acrobat.com/spdx2dec10
 
Administrative Agenda
Attendance

Technical Team Report - Kate

Business Team Report - Kim/JohnE
Upcoming meetings
Rollout ideas
FAQ

Legal Team Report - Rockett/Karen

Cross Functional Issues - Phil
Feedback on agenda format

Action Items

Most of the action items belong with the Teams. So, in addition to statusing, we will dispatch them to the respective teams and will not continue to track in this meeting. Action items for this meeting will be cross functional.

• Dave/JeffL - Update zlib based on new specification  DONE, BUT AWAITING FEEDBACK FROM GARY
• PeterW- Implement issue tracking system.  BLOCKED ON KATE
• Kate - submit ids to Linux Foundation so infrastructure setup can proceed - PENDING
• Kate- Draft example for LF Member Counsel; include XML and corresponding spreadsheet (or spreadsheet-like) format. PENDING
• Rockett- Query status of trademark application DONE. APPLICATION IS IN AN WAITING FOR ASSIGNMENT OF A TM EXAMINER
• All- Review 6 months mail and contrast against licensing group spreadsheet. FOR NEXT LICENSE GRP MEETING
• Kate- Write up formal proposal on SHA field change and mail to list. IN PROCESS
• All- Review SHA field change proposal for technical flaws; if so, discuss on list. FOR TECH AGENDA NXT MEETING
• Kate- Add back to SPEC page in WIKI preferred syntax for adding comments. TO BE DONE
• Michael H- Write up and share position on "reporting" vs. "interpreting."
• PhilO- Get legal team input on Michael's position.


L. Philip Odence
Vice President of Business Development
Black Duck Software, inc.
265 Winter Street, Waltham, MA 02451
Phone: 781.810.1819, Mobile: 781.258.9502


New SPDX mailing lists

Martin Michlmayr
 

As Phil mentioned during the last SPDX call, we added a number of
mailing lists to facilitate discussions of specific areas. This list
(spdx@...) will continue to be used for general discussions
but discussions about specific topics (technical development of the
spec; rollout and other business aspects; and legal aspects) will take
place on the other mailing lists. If you want to participate in the
technical, business or legal team discussions, you therefore have to
subscribe to their mailing lists.

You can find a link to the mailing lists on each team wiki page:

- Technical Team: http://spdx.org/wiki/spdx/spec-development

- Business Team: http://spdx.org/wiki/spdx/biz

- Legal Team: http://spdx.org/wiki/spdx/legal

Follow the link to the mailing list and on the page for the mailing list
search for "Subscribing to". Enter your email address, name (optional)
and password and click on "Subscribe". You will then get an email with
a link that you have to follow in order to confirm their subscription.

Mailing list archives are also available so you can check if you missed
any discussions.

If you have any questions or problems, please let me know.

--
Martin Michlmayr
Open Source Program Office, Hewlett-Packard


SPDX Business (Rollout) Call 11ET/8PT

Kim Weins
 

9:00 AM - 10:00 AM December 9, 2010
Location: See dial in below

US  866-740-1260
Int'l  http://www.readytalk.com/support/international-numbers.php

ID 2404502

Web Meeting
Www.readytalk.com
ID 2404502

Agenda
We will be covering several areas on the rollout plan.

1. Beta process
2. User Content - what is needed
3. Evangelism and outreach

Occurs every 2 week(s) on Thursday effective Thu 12/9/10



Python History and License

Tom Incorvia
 

Regarding the Python licensing,

 

Kim is correct.  http://python.org/psf/summary/ clearly states that the PSF Python releases are licensed under the stack of licenses.  So my statement regarding a particular PSF version being licensed under one and only one license is incorrect for the PSF-related licenses – it is the stack.   

 

If we can get a statement from the PSF saying that the stack license applies regardless of version (even the old CWI versions), then we will only need the stack-license (although it has a “pick whatever applies to your release” nature that is a bit different than what we have been doing).  This is a bit different than the Mozilla tri-license where the end user picks . . .

 

The alternative to listing the stack-license would be to have PSF say on a version by version basis when a stack / stack-subset / individual license applies.  Messy – that is the route that I was taking.    

 

Tom

 

Tom Incorvia

tom.incorvia@...

Direct:  (512) 340-1336

Mobile: (408) 499 6850

 


Python License Graphic for Friday Teledonference

Tom Incorvia
 

Please find attached a jpeg that details Python licensing (for today’s Python agenda item in the SPDX Licensing teleconference).  Tom

 

Tom Incorvia

tom.incorvia@...

Direct:  (512) 340-1336

Mobile: (408) 499 6850


newly uploaded license list

Jilayne Lovejoy <Jlovejoy@...>
 

Hi All,

 

I have uploaded a new version of the License List (v1.3) in spreadsheet format to the Wiki page, as well as accompanying guidelines document (remaining outstanding questions highlighted in yellow there).  As per last week’s license meeting, I made the following changes:

  1. fix header for “GPL v3 only”
  2. add “GPL v3 or later”
  3. added GPL exceptions (see list below with) 
    1. I did not add headers for these.  Sometimes the header has the exception and sometimes it is located at the bottom of the license (or both), so it didn’t seem like there is an “official header” in this situation, unless we just use the standard GPL headers.
    2. I have hidden the “exceptions” column for now in the spreadsheet.  Now that we are adding each exception as a separate line item, this field seemed NA – thoughts?
    3. We decided we would only list the “official” GPL exceptions.  I’m not sure we discussed what constitutes “official,” but the GNU website only lists 2 – Autoconf and GCC Runtime Library - (see http://www.gnu.org/licenses/exceptions.html) on their website, yet I’m pretty sure that the others we mentioned on the call (Bison, Font, Classpath) should be included as well.  So, for going forward, we’ll need to determine some kind of protocol to decide a) what makes the cut for out list for exceptions and b) have we missed any?

 

Exceptions added:

- GPL v2 w/Autoconf exception – I could not find a link to this.  The GNU website only has the v3 exception, but there was one for v2.  I even tried downloading an old version of Autoconf and the COPYING.txt file (which is supposed to have the exception included in it…) did not have the exception.  Please check to see the text I did find is correct

- GPL v2 w/Bison exception

- GPL v2 w/Classpath exception

- GPL v2 w/GCC Runtime Library exception – I could not find a link to this.  GNU website only have v3 exception.  Please check if this text is correct…

 

- GPL v3 w/Autoconf exception

- GPL v3 w/GCC Runtime Library Exception – the GNU website has a v3.0 and v3.1 of this exception – the most recent one is included here.  I could not find

 

If there is another exception you want added, can you please email me the name of it and a url for where you found the text.

 

Thanks,

 

Jilayne Lovejoy  |  Corporate Counsel

jlovejoy@...

 

720 240 4545  |  phone

720 240 4556  |  fax

1 888 OpenLogic  |  toll free

www.openlogic.com

 

OpenLogic, Inc.

Headquarters, Broomfield, Colorado 80021

 


Re: artifactof proposal ratified... but couldn't post comment (Martin?)

Martin Michlmayr
 

I'm not sure why the system would flag this comment as spam but the
logs confirm that it did. I changed a setting so that comments marked
as spam are no longer discarded; instead they require manual approval.
Please post the comment again and I'll approve it.

* Bill Schineller <bschineller@...> [2010-11-18 17:01]:

Per our call, I attempted to comment on the ratification of the artifactof proposal by commenting on the wiki page

http://www.spdx.org/wiki/proposal-2010-10-21-3-artifactof


Unfortunately, the wiki told me my comment triggered the spam filter and wouldn’t save it.
Here is the comment (Martin?)

“2010-11-18 general call feedback

“By choosing to reference DOAP model, we are tacitly approving that an SPDX document may include with it additional information which is in the DOAP vocabulary.

We are requiring that an SPDX 1.0 compliant parser be able to understand only the 2 fields from DOAP (name and homepage).

If additional information from DOAP is included within the SPDX document, an SPDX 1.0 compliant parser may silently ignore the additional information.

Folks on the 2010-11-18 general call accepted the ArtifactOf proposal, and rejected the 'File origin' proposal.”





On 11/17/10 5:23 PM, "Philip Odence" <podence@...> wrote:

Meeting Time: Nov18, 8am PDT / 10 am CDT / 11am EDT / 16:00 UTC. http://www.timeanddate.com/worldclock/converter.html

Conf call dial-in:
Conference code: 7812589502
Toll-free dial-in number (U.S. and Canada): (877) 435-0230
International dial-in number: (253) 336-6732
For those dialing in from other regions, a list of toll free numbers can be found: https://www.intercallonline.com/portlets/scheduling/viewNumbers/viewNumber.do? <https://www.intercallonline.com/portlets/scheduling/viewNumbers/viewNumber.do?> ownerNumber=6053870&audioType=RP&viewGa=false&ga=OFF
Web:
Note, we will be using a different URL for each meeting for purposes of taking attendance. When you login PLEASE INCLUDE YOUR FULL NAME IN THIS FORM: Phil Odence, Black Duck Software so I can just copy/paste into minutes. THX. http://blackducksoftware.na6.acrobat.com/spdx8nov10/


Administrative Agenda
Attendance
Approval of minutes
http://www.spdx.org/wiki/20101104-minutes
Outreach and evangelism:
Common Messaging/Presentation – PhilO
Industry Venues – PhilR
Website – PhilO/Martin (defer to Org Structure discussion)
Roll Out Update - KimW/JohnE
Legal Update - Rockett
SPDX Group Organizational Structure - PhilO

Action Items
Note: Drafting related action items are embedded in the Wiki. http://www.spdx.org/wiki/spdx/specification
• Dave - Clean up the WIKI to only have analysis visible that reflects current spec. ON HOLD FOR MARTIN TO PROVIDE PRIVS; SHOULD BE UNDERWAY
• Dave/JeffL - Update zlib based on new specification DONE, BUT AWAITING FEEDBACK
• PeterW- Implement issue tracking system. BLOCKED ON KATE
• Kate - submit ids to Linux Foundation so infrastructure setup can proceed - PENDING
• Kate- Draft example for LF Member Counsel; include XML and corresponding spreadsheet (or spreadsheet-like) format. PENDING
• Phil R - Update Industry Events. IN PROCESS
• Rockett- Mail out trademark policy draft to SPDX list. WAITING FOR SIGNOFF BY LF
• Rockett- Query status of trademark application TBD
• Kim- Send out invite for next licensing meeting. DONE. WILL INCLUDE FOLKS FROM DEBIAN.
• All- Review 6 months mail and contrast against licensing group spreadsheet. FOR NEXT LICENSE GRP MEETING
• All- If you can't attend meeting, post feedback/vote to list on 5.6/5.7 proposals. FOR TECH AGENDA NXT MTG.
• Kate- Write up formal proposal on SHA field change and mail to list. IN PROCESS
• All- Review SHA field change proposal for technical flaws; if so, discuss on list. FOR TECH AGENDA NXT MEETING
• Kate- Add back to SPEC page in WIKI preferred syntax for adding comments. TBD

Technical Agenda
Spec Status Update- Kate
License Group Update- Kim
RDF Group Update- Bill
Resolution on recommendation of proposal 2 by RDF team
[1]: <http://www.spdx.org/wiki/proposal-2010-10-21-2-file-origin>
[2]: <http://www.spdx.org/wiki/proposal-2010-10-21-3-artifactof>
Repository Changes- Kate



L. Philip Odence
Vice President of Business Development
Black Duck Software, inc.
265 Winter Street, Waltham, MA 02451
Phone: 781.810.1819, Mobile: 781.258.9502
podence@...
http://www.blackducksoftware.com
http://twitter.com/podence
http://www.linkedin.com/in/podence
http://www.networkworld.com/community/odence (my blog)



Bill Schineller
Knowledge Base Manager
Black Duck Software Inc.
T: +1.781.810.1829
F: +1.781.891.5145
E: bschineller@...
http://www.blackducksoftware.com
--
Martin Michlmayr
Open Source Program Office, Hewlett-Packard


SPDX License Review Meeting: Part 2

Kim Weins
 

8:00 AM - 9:00 AM November 19, 2010
Location: See dial in infi below



US  866-740-1260
Int'l  http://www.readytalk.com/support/international-numbers.php

ID 2404502

Web Meeting
Www.readytalk.com
ID 2404502

We will finish addressing license list issues.

Python licenses
-         currently we have just the two OSI approved licenses, using the
OSI long titles for the licenses – Tom I found some other versions, but the
naming is a bit inconsistent (in terms of what they are referred to in the
field, Tom’s email included some practical clarification on this in terms of
matching the license to the software version)
-         do we need to add others?  If so, which ones and how to name?

older license versions that are missing:
-         we don’t have EUPL v1.0, MPL v1.0, NPL v1.0, other OSL versions,
AFL, etc.


license-specific issues:
-         X.Net License à this is really an LGPL notice + special exception
- should we have it as a separate license?
-         Zlib/libpng License à note: this is the zlib license, but OSI
calls it the zlib/libpng license.  Yet there is a different license for
libpng:  see http://www.libpng.org/pub/png/src/libpng-LICENSE.txt
<http://www.libpng.org/pub/png/src/libpng-LICENSE.txt>


artifactof proposal ratified... but couldn't post comment (Martin?)

Bill Schineller
 

Per our call, I attempted to comment on the ratification of the artifactof proposal by commenting on the wiki page

http://www.spdx.org/wiki/proposal-2010-10-21-3-artifactof


Unfortunately, the wiki told me my comment triggered the spam filter and wouldn’t save it.
Here is the comment (Martin?)

“2010-11-18 general call feedback

By choosing to reference DOAP model, we are tacitly approving that an SPDX document may include with it additional information which is in the DOAP vocabulary.

We are requiring that an SPDX 1.0 compliant parser be able to understand only the 2 fields from DOAP (name and homepage).

If additional information from DOAP is included within the SPDX document, an SPDX 1.0 compliant parser may silently ignore the additional information.

Folks on the 2010-11-18 general call accepted the ArtifactOf proposal, and rejected the 'File origin' proposal.”





On 11/17/10 5:23 PM, "Philip Odence" <podence@...> wrote:

Meeting Time: Nov18, 8am PDT / 10 am CDT / 11am EDT / 16:00 UTC. http://www.timeanddate.com/worldclock/converter.html

Conf call dial-in:
Conference code:  7812589502
Toll-free dial-in number (U.S. and Canada):  (877) 435-0230
International dial-in number: (253) 336-6732
For those dialing in from other regions, a list of toll free numbers can be found: https://www.intercallonline.com/portlets/scheduling/viewNumbers/viewNumber.do?
<https://www.intercallonline.com/portlets/scheduling/viewNumbers/viewNumber.do?> ownerNumber=6053870&audioType=RP&viewGa=false&ga=OFF
Web:
Note, we will be using a different URL for each meeting for purposes of taking attendance. When you login PLEASE INCLUDE YOUR FULL NAME IN THIS FORM: Phil Odence, Black Duck Software so I can just copy/paste into minutes. THX.
http://blackducksoftware.na6.acrobat.com/spdx8nov10/


Administrative Agenda
Attendance
Approval of minutes
   http://www.spdx.org/wiki/20101104-minutes
Outreach and evangelism:
Common Messaging/Presentation – PhilO
Industry Venues – PhilR
Website – PhilO/Martin (defer to Org Structure discussion)
Roll Out Update - KimW/JohnE
Legal Update - Rockett
SPDX Group Organizational Structure - PhilO

Action Items
Note: Drafting related action items are embedded in the Wiki. http://www.spdx.org/wiki/spdx/specification
• Dave - Clean up the WIKI to only have analysis visible that reflects current spec.  ON HOLD FOR MARTIN TO PROVIDE PRIVS; SHOULD BE UNDERWAY
• Dave/JeffL - Update zlib based on new specification  DONE, BUT AWAITING FEEDBACK
• PeterW- Implement issue tracking system.  BLOCKED ON KATE
• Kate - submit ids to Linux Foundation so infrastructure setup can proceed - PENDING
• Kate- Draft example for LF Member Counsel; include XML and corresponding spreadsheet (or spreadsheet-like) format. PENDING
• Phil R - Update Industry Events. IN PROCESS
• Rockett- Mail out trademark policy draft to SPDX list. WAITING FOR SIGNOFF BY LF
• Rockett- Query status of trademark application TBD
• Kim- Send out invite for next licensing meeting. DONE. WILL INCLUDE FOLKS FROM DEBIAN.
• All- Review 6 months mail and contrast against licensing group spreadsheet. FOR NEXT LICENSE GRP MEETING
• All- If you can't attend meeting, post feedback/vote to list on 5.6/5.7 proposals. FOR TECH AGENDA NXT MTG.
• Kate- Write up formal proposal on SHA field change and mail to list. IN PROCESS
• All- Review SHA field change proposal for technical flaws; if so, discuss on list. FOR TECH AGENDA NXT MEETING
• Kate- Add back to SPEC page in WIKI preferred syntax for adding comments. TBD

Technical Agenda
Spec Status Update- Kate
License Group Update- Kim
RDF Group Update- Bill
Resolution on recommendation of proposal 2 by RDF team
[1]: <http://www.spdx.org/wiki/proposal-2010-10-21-2-file-origin>
[2]: <http://www.spdx.org/wiki/proposal-2010-10-21-3-artifactof>
Repository Changes- Kate



L. Philip Odence
Vice President of Business Development
Black Duck Software, inc.
265 Winter Street, Waltham, MA 02451
Phone: 781.810.1819, Mobile: 781.258.9502
podence@...
http://www.blackducksoftware.com
http://twitter.com/podence
http://www.linkedin.com/in/podence
http://www.networkworld.com/community/odence (my blog)



Bill Schineller
Knowledge Base Manager
Black Duck Software Inc.
T: +1.781.810.1829
F: +1.781.891.5145
E: bschineller@...
http://www.blackducksoftware.com


new release of Ninka

dmg
 

Hi everybody,

We are releasing a minor update to our license identification tool. The
major difference with version 1.0-pre1 is packaging. We no longer
require the user to download and patch the sentence splitter. It should
be easier to use.

We also thank Armijn Hemel for his help with the documentation.

http://turingmachine.org/~dmg/temp/ninka-1.0-pre2.tar.bz2


Enjoy!

--dmg


--
--
Daniel M. German
http://turingmachine.org/
http://silvernegative.com/
dmg (at) uvic (dot) ca
replace (at) with @ and (dot) with .


Agenda for 18 November SPDX Call

Philip Odence
 

Meeting Time: Nov18, 8am PDT / 10 am CDT / 11am EDT / 16:00 UTC. http://www.timeanddate.com/worldclock/converter.html

Conf call dial-in:
Conference code:  7812589502
Toll-free dial-in number (U.S. and Canada):  (877) 435-0230
International dial-in number: (253) 336-6732
For those dialing in from other regions, a list of toll free numbers can be found: 
https://www.intercallonline.com/portlets/scheduling/viewNumbers/viewNumber.do?ownerNumber=6053870&audioType=RP&viewGa=false&ga=OFF
Web:
Note, we will be using a different URL for each meeting for purposes of taking attendance. When you login PLEASE INCLUDE YOUR FULL NAME IN THIS FORM: Phil Odence, Black Duck Software so I can just copy/paste into minutes. THX. 
http://blackducksoftware.na6.acrobat.com/spdx8nov10/
 

Administrative Agenda
Attendance
Outreach and evangelism:
Common Messaging/Presentation – PhilO
Industry Venues – PhilR
Website – PhilO/Martin (defer to Org Structure discussion)
Roll Out Update - KimW/JohnE
Legal Update - Rockett
SPDX Group Organizational Structure - PhilO
 
Action Items
Note: Drafting related action items are embedded in the Wiki. http://www.spdx.org/wiki/spdx/specification
• Dave - Clean up the WIKI to only have analysis visible that reflects current spec.  ON HOLD FOR MARTIN TO PROVIDE PRIVS; SHOULD BE UNDERWAY
• Dave/JeffL - Update zlib based on new specification  DONE, BUT AWAITING FEEDBACK
• PeterW- Implement issue tracking system.  BLOCKED ON KATE
• Kate - submit ids to Linux Foundation so infrastructure setup can proceed - PENDING
• Kate- Draft example for LF Member Counsel; include XML and corresponding spreadsheet (or spreadsheet-like) format. PENDING
• Phil R - Update Industry Events. IN PROCESS
• Rockett- Mail out trademark policy draft to SPDX list. WAITING FOR SIGNOFF BY LF
• Rockett- Query status of trademark application TBD
• Kim- Send out invite for next licensing meeting. DONE. WILL INCLUDE FOLKS FROM DEBIAN.
• All- Review 6 months mail and contrast against licensing group spreadsheet. FOR NEXT LICENSE GRP MEETING
• All- If you can't attend meeting, post feedback/vote to list on 5.6/5.7 proposals. FOR TECH AGENDA NXT MTG.
• Kate- Write up formal proposal on SHA field change and mail to list. IN PROCESS
• All- Review SHA field change proposal for technical flaws; if so, discuss on list. FOR TECH AGENDA NXT MEETING
• Kate- Add back to SPEC page in WIKI preferred syntax for adding comments. TBD

Technical Agenda
Spec Status Update- Kate
License Group Update- Kim
RDF Group Update- Bill
Resolution on recommendation of proposal 2 by RDF team
[1]: <http://www.spdx.org/wiki/proposal-2010-10-21-2-file-origin>
[2]: <http://www.spdx.org/wiki/proposal-2010-10-21-3-artifactof>
Repository Changes- Kate



L. Philip Odence
Vice President of Business Development
Black Duck Software, inc.
265 Winter Street, Waltham, MA 02451
Phone: 781.810.1819, Mobile: 781.258.9502


Examples posted

Dave McLoughlin
 

Finally!  Sorry about the delay.  I took the examples that were already in the wiki area (http://spdx.org/wiki/openlogic-spdx-10-beta-examples) that Peter W posted some time ago and posted them in the main examples area.  http://spdx.org/spec/examples

Please take a look and let me know if you have any questions.

Also, Gary, can you take a look at the zlib example we created at OpenLogic for 1.2.3 and 1.2.5 and let me know if you have any questions or comments?

Martin and Kate, thanks again for getting my site privileges set up so I could do this.

Cheers,

--
Dave McLoughlin | OpenLogic



Technical team recommendation regarding file provenance proposals

Peter Williams <peter.williams@...>
 

The two open, overlapping, proposals for showing the provenance of files in an SPDX document are up for approval at the next SPDX full group meeting. Proposal 2010-10-21-2 [1] proposes adding optional 'Project' and 'ProjectURL' properties to File objects. Proposal 2010-10-21-3 [2] proposes adding an optional 'ArtifactOf' property, whose value is a DOAP project, to File objects.

After careful consideration the technical team recommends proposal 2010-10-21-3 [2] (the proposal for an optional 'ArtifactOf' property) be accepted by the full SPDX group. The technical team also recommends that proposal 2010-10-21-2 [1] be rejected due to its redundancy with the changes in proposal 2010-10-21-3 [2].

Peter
www.openlogic.com

[1]: <http://www.spdx.org/wiki/proposal-2010-10-21-2-file-origin>
[2]: <http://www.spdx.org/wiki/proposal-2010-10-21-3-artifactof>


Re: VS: GPL vX or later issue

Kim Weins
 

Adding to the answer on timing — we would expect that the version due around the end of the year would be a “release candidate”.  It would not go “final” till after Beta testing.  

However, there will be a process for updating the license list on an ongoing basis as needed — separate from revisions of the SPDX versions.  This process for updating licenses has not been completely flushed out, but the idea is that people can submit new licenses at any point in time.  There will be a review process and the person that wants to add the license will need to sign up for doing a little technical work to set up the page in the license database.

Kim



On Mon 11/15/10 7:12 AM, "Philip Odence" <podence@...> wrote:

Martin, regarding your PPS
We are aiming for an end of the year version with more or less frozen features. It won't be released until it's been through some more extensive testing, but we don't expect adding a lot of features after that point.
There is a wiki page on spdx.org <http://spdx.org>  that houses beyond 1.0 ideas: http://www.spdx.org/wiki/ideas-after-10-spec

 <http://www.spdx.org/wiki/ideas-after-10-spec> Phil


L. Philip Odence
Vice President of Business Development
Black Duck Software, inc.
265 Winter Street, Waltham, MA 02451
Phone: 781.810.1819, Mobile: 781.258.9502
podence@...
http://www.blackducksoftware.com
http://twitter.com/podence
http://www.linkedin.com/in/podence
http://www.networkworld.com/community/odence (my blog)

On Nov 15, 2010, at 6:39 AM, Martin von Willebrand wrote:

-
>> Which is only true at that moment of time. If/when GPLv4 is available,
>> you would miss that one. So it's important to keep the fact that the
>> author stated that it's GPLv2+ to cover this.
>> So it's not simply OR. It's OR with potential licenses that do not
>> exist.
>
>Yeah, it does have the issue that the members of the set change over
>time.  However, at any particular moment in time (i.e. any time you are
>doing anything with an SPDX file) it can be treat as a simple
>disjunctive set (all the members are known).
>
>> Making it IMHO a beast in itself.
>
>I agree.  It seems to me that this "or later version" scenario is
>something that should be handled explicitly.  Shoehorning it into the
>license model feels clumsy.

(I am restarting participation after a longer pause.)

Was the question on license attachment clauses decided in the teleconf last week? Are different attachment clauses classified as licenses for the time being or will SPDX be added with separate taxonomy for explaining different license attachments?

Looking at the spec, it is currently unclear for me how one should report a file (or package) with a license attachment clause allowing choosing between GPLv2, any later GPL version, MPL 1.1 or any later MPL version. This needs to be treated somehow, and preferably captured so that this information needs not to be rechecked (unless for quality control).

Is there a "declared license" in a package, if there is just the text of the license in a separate file, with no license attachment statements? Based on the spec, I assume yes, but the text in the spec is a little vague.

Also, the wiki on license texts currently holds placeholders for a number of "license+exception" licenses. What is the standing on this, should these be elaborated to contain the text of the exception so that misunderstandings are less likely?

Br,
Martin

PS. Some other comments on the standard:

1. Licenses detected information under section 3 of the standard seems to be something that repeats parts of information from section 5 of the standard. (With the exception that non-standard licenses are introduced with the help of section 3.)

2. I'm wondering how could the "license tree" of a package be better reflected in the standard. (It can be derived form sec 5. Perhaps that's enough.) E.g. We use a conclusion that a license.txt file containing e.g. LGPL 2.1 license text is concluded to apply to all files in that folder and subfolder, if the files do not contain any license attachment statements and there is no contradicting information. I believe others need to address the same question since files with no license information is a very frequent issue. Viewing licenses as a tree helps in this analysis. Recording licenses detected under section 3 with path information would actually mean even more repeating of information, thus not good. On the other hand, sec 5 is not well suited for information analysis, but for information storage. Hmmm...

PPS. Generic update: what is the timetable for the standard? What type of changes are anticipated or considered prior to release of version 1.0? What goes to future versions?


Martin von Willebrand, Attorney-at-law, Partner
HH Partners, Attorneys-at-law Ltd
Mannerheimintie 14 A
P.O. Box 232, 00101 Helsinki, Finland
Tel: +358 9 177 613, Fax: +358 9 653 873
GSM: +358 40 770 1818
martin.vonwillebrand@...
www.twitter.com/mvonwillebrand <http://www.twitter.com/mvonwillebrand>
www.hhpartners.fi <http://www.hhpartners.fi>  
Validos ry, Chairman, www.validos.org <http://www.validos.org>
Have you checked our renewed web pages, at www.hhpartners.fi <http://www.hhpartners.fi/?ref=mail> ?

Privileged and confidential information may be contained in this message. If you are not addressee indicated in this message (or responsible for delivery of the message to such person), you may not copy or deliver this message to anyone. In such case, kindly notify us by reply e-mail and delete this message immediately. Thank you.
<#> <ATT00001..c>



_______________________________________________
Spdx mailing list
Spdx@...
https://fossbazaar.org/mailman/listinfo/spdx


Kim Weins | Senior Vice President, Marketing
kim.weins@...
Follow me on Twitter @KimAtOpenLogic

650 279 0410 | cell
www.openlogic.com
Follow OpenLogic on Twitter @OpenLogic

OpenLogic, Inc.
Headquarters, Broomfield, Colorado





Re: VS: GPL vX or later issue

Philip Odence
 

Martin, regarding your PPS
We are aiming for an end of the year version with more or less frozen features. It won't be released until it's been through some more extensive testing, but we don't expect adding a lot of features after that point.
There is a wiki page on spdx.org that houses beyond 1.0 ideas: http://www.spdx.org/wiki/ideas-after-10-spec

Phil


L. Philip Odence
Vice President of Business Development
Black Duck Software, inc.
265 Winter Street, Waltham, MA 02451
Phone: 781.810.1819, Mobile: 781.258.9502

On Nov 15, 2010, at 6:39 AM, Martin von Willebrand wrote:

-
>> Which is only true at that moment of time. If/when GPLv4 is available,
>> you would miss that one. So it's important to keep the fact that the
>> author stated that it's GPLv2+ to cover this.
>> So it's not simply OR. It's OR with potential licenses that do not
>> exist.
>
>Yeah, it does have the issue that the members of the set change over
>time.  However, at any particular moment in time (i.e. any time you are
>doing anything with an SPDX file) it can be treat as a simple
>disjunctive set (all the members are known).
>
>> Making it IMHO a beast in itself.
>
>I agree.  It seems to me that this "or later version" scenario is
>something that should be handled explicitly.  Shoehorning it into the
>license model feels clumsy.

(I am restarting participation after a longer pause.)

Was the question on license attachment clauses decided in the teleconf last week? Are different attachment clauses classified as licenses for the time being or will SPDX be added with separate taxonomy for explaining different license attachments?

Looking at the spec, it is currently unclear for me how one should report a file (or package) with a license attachment clause allowing choosing between GPLv2, any later GPL version, MPL 1.1 or any later MPL version. This needs to be treated somehow, and preferably captured so that this information needs not to be rechecked (unless for quality control).

Is there a "declared license" in a package, if there is just the text of the license in a separate file, with no license attachment statements? Based on the spec, I assume yes, but the text in the spec is a little vague. 

Also, the wiki on license texts currently holds placeholders for a number of "license+exception" licenses. What is the standing on this, should these be elaborated to contain the text of the exception so that misunderstandings are less likely? 

Br,
Martin

PS. Some other comments on the standard: 

1. Licenses detected information under section 3 of the standard seems to be something that repeats parts of information from section 5 of the standard. (With the exception that non-standard licenses are introduced with the help of section 3.)

2. I'm wondering how could the "license tree" of a package be better reflected in the standard. (It can be derived form sec 5. Perhaps that's enough.) E.g. We use a conclusion that a license.txt file containing e.g. LGPL 2.1 license text is concluded to apply to all files in that folder and subfolder, if the files do not contain any license attachment statements and there is no contradicting information. I believe others need to address the same question since files with no license information is a very frequent issue. Viewing licenses as a tree helps in this analysis. Recording licenses detected under section 3 with path information would actually mean even more repeating of information, thus not good. On the other hand, sec 5 is not well suited for information analysis, but for information storage. Hmmm... 

PPS. Generic update: what is the timetable for the standard? What type of changes are anticipated or considered prior to release of version 1.0? What goes to future versions?


Martin von Willebrand, Attorney-at-law, Partner
HH Partners, Attorneys-at-law Ltd
Mannerheimintie 14 A
P.O. Box 232, 00101 Helsinki, Finland
Tel: +358 9 177 613, Fax: +358 9 653 873
GSM: +358 40 770 1818 
martin.vonwillebrand@... 
www.twitter.com/mvonwillebrand
www.hhpartners.fi 
Validos ry, Chairman, www.validos.org
Have you checked our renewed web pages, at www.hhpartners.fi?
Privileged and confidential information may be contained in this message. If you are not addressee indicated in this message (or responsible for delivery of the message to such person), you may not copy or deliver this message to anyone. In such case, kindly notify us by reply e-mail and delete this message immediately. Thank you.
<ATT00001..c>

1381 - 1400 of 1591