From: Tom Callaway [mailto:tcallawa@...]
Sent: Tuesday, December 21, 2010 8:06 AM
To: Jilayne Lovejoy
Cc: spdx@...; Martin Michlmayr; jeff@...
Subject: Re: zlib and libpng licenses clarification

On 12/20/2010 10:26 PM, Jilayne Lovejoy wrote:
It appears that the license terms themselves are essentially the same,
with the exception of a longer explanation for clause 1 in the zlib
license and a lengthier disclaimer statement in the libpng license.
Also, the libpng license includes the applicable attribution notices
for the various project versions.
Fedora treats these two licenses as functionally identical, and calls
them both "zlib".

The third license looks to just be a templated version of the zlib
license.

~tom

==
Fedora Project

Re: zlib and libpng licenses clarification

Tom "spot" Callaway

On 12/20/2010 10:26 PM, Jilayne Lovejoy wrote:
It appears that the license terms themselves are essentially the same,
with the exception of a longer explanation for clause 1 in the zlib
license and a lengthier disclaimer statement in the libpng license.
Also, the libpng license includes the applicable attribution notices
for the various project versions.
Fedora treats these two licenses as functionally identical, and calls
them both "zlib".

The third license looks to just be a templated version of the zlib license.

~tom

==
Fedora Project

zlib and libpng licenses clarification

Jilayne Lovejoy <Jlovejoy@...>

I had a question regarding clarifying the zlib and libpng licenses versus what the OSI lists as the zlib/libpng license on their list.  Perhaps Tom, Martin, or Jeff can shed some light on this?

The zlib license can be found here:  http://www.zlib.net/zlib_license.html

The libpng license can be found here:  http://www.libpng.org/pub/png/src/libpng-LICENSE.txt

It appears that the license terms themselves are essentially the same, with the exception of a longer explanation for clause 1 in the zlib license and a lengthier disclaimer statement in the libpng license.  Also, the libpng license includes the applicable attribution notices for the various project versions.

Whereas, the OSI has what I would call a generic (no copyright notice at all, nor author name) version of the zlib license.  Yet, OSI lists one, which tracks most closely to the zlib license and calls it zlib/libpng:  http://www.opensource.org/licenses/zlib-license.php

Does anyone have any insight as to why this is this way on the OSI list?  More importantly, how should we handle this for our list?  List all three variations (what the OSI refers to as zlib/libpng and then the specific zlib and libpng separately) or just the OSI version or what?

I will post the latest version of the license list (with other changes as discussed in the last few meetings) after this question is resolved.

Thanks!

Jilayne Lovejoy  |  Corporate Counsel

jlovejoy@...

720 240 4545  |  phone

720 240 4556  |  fax

1 888 OpenLogic  |  toll free

www.openlogic.com

OpenLogic, Inc.

Headquarters, Broomfield, Colorado 80021

Issue tracker

Peter Williams <peter.williams@...>

We now have a issue tracker for the SPDX specification and related
tools. Please report any issues you are aware of with the spec or
tools at <http://bugs.linux-foundation.org/enter_bug.cgi?product=spdx>.
(You will need an account but you can easily create one.) This will
ensure our ability to rectify any problems with the spec before the
final release.

All open issues related to SPDX are listed at
<http://bugs.linux-foundation.org/buglist.cgi?query_format=specific&order=relevance+desc&bug_status=__open__&product=spdx&content=>.

Peter
www.openlogic.com

Minutes from Dec 16 General Meeting

Philip Odence

The GM minutes provide a good bi-weekly summary of everything SPDX.

If you have interest in more closely monitoring or being involved with team activities, you should join team mailing lists:
L. Philip Odence
Vice President of Business Development
Black Duck Software, inc.
265 Winter Street, Waltham, MA 02451
Phone: 781.810.1819, Mobile: 781.258.9502

Agenda for Dec 16 SPDX General Meeting

Philip Odence

The SPDX General Meeting is for sharing and cross functional coordination between the Technical, Business and Legal Teams. General Meetings are currently scheduled for 60 minutes, but may only require 30 minutes.

Note there will be no General Meeting on Dec 30; we'll resume the biweekly schedule on Jan 13, 2011.

Meeting Time: Dec 16, 8am PDT / 10 am CDT / 11am EDT / 16:00 UTC. http://www.timeanddate.com/worldclock/converter.html

Web:
There does not seem to be a need to use the web for this meeting, so for now, no link.

Technical Team Report - Kate

Business Team Report - Kim

Legal Team Report - Rockett/Karen

Cross Functional Issues - Phil
Sign ups for Team mailing lists.

Action Items

  • Kate- Draft example for LF Member Counsel; include XML and spreadsheet. PENDING
  • Kate- Add back to Spec page in wiki preferred syntax for adding comments. PENDING
  • MichaelH- Write up and share postion on "reporting" vs. "interpreting. NO UPDATE
  • PhilO- Get input on MH position from Legal Team and get resolution.
  • GaryO- Post regular meeting times on Tech Team page.
  • Rockett- Post regular meeting times on Legal Team page.
  • MartinM- Report back on # of people on respective mailing lists.

  • [Update] SPDX Legal Workstream (Rollout) Call 11ET/10CT/8PT

    mgia3940@motorola.com <mgia3940@...>

    Re: Python History and License

    Tom Incorvia

    For Today’s Legal Stream Call (attached).  Tom

    Tom Incorvia

    tom.incorvia@...

    Direct:  (512) 340-1336

    From: "kate.stewart@..." <kate.stewart@...>
    Date: Wed, Dec 8, 2010 10:03 am
    Subject: SPDX face to face at LF CollabSummit
    To: "Martin Michlmayr" <tbm@...>, "spdx@..." <spdx@...>, "MarkRadcliffe" <Mark.Radcliffe@...>
    Cc: "KarenCopenhaver" <kcopenhaver@...>, "LeslieRoay" <Leslie.Roay@...>

    Mark,

    That would be very cool. :) Let us know what looks possible.

    We'll be doing some brainstorming on the agenda options, and that capability would open up some nice options.

    Kate

    From: Radcliffe, Mark <Mark.Radcliffe@...>
    To: "Martin Michlmayr" <tbm@...>, "spdx@..." <spdx@...>
    Cc: "Copenhaver, Karen" <kcopenhaver@...>, "Roay, Leslie" <Leslie.Roay@...>
    Date: Wednesday, December 8, 2010, 11:53 AM
[...]

    Michael J Herzog <mjherzog@...>

    Martin,

    The meeting last year at the Collab Summit was very productive so I strongly recommend that we plan an F2F meeting. We can manage the agenda around areas where we may need participation from Kate and Rockett.

    regards, Michael

    Michael J. Herzog
    +1 650 380 0680 | mjherzog_at_nexB.com
    nexB [Open by Design] http://www.nexb.com

    CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE: This e-mail (including attachments) may contain information that is proprietary or confidential. If you are not the intended recipient or a person responsible for its delivery to the intended recipient, do not copy or distribute it. Please permanently delete the e-mail and any attachments, and notify us immediately at (650) 380-0680.

    On 12/8/2010 6:29 AM, Martin Michlmayr wrote:
    I'm wondering if we should make any plans for the LF Collaboration
    Summit in 2011. The CollabSummit will take place April 6-8 in San
    Francisco. Traditionally, FOSSBazaar had a room there and we could
    request a room and use it for SPDX.

    However, I noticed that at least Kate and Rockett will be presenting
    SPDX at the European Legal Network Conference, which unfortunately
    conflicts with the CollabSummit since it takes place on April 7-8
    in Amsterdam.

    Any thoughts?

    Re: SPDX face to face at LF CollabSummit

    Philip Koltun

    Great minds think alike!

    I have been asked to organize a compliance track for the Collaboration Summit and would like to include SPDX briefings and updates as a significant part of the track.  (FOSSBazaar as well.) I was planning to talk initially to Kate and Phil O about SPDX presentations.  All ideas are welcome.

    Phil Koltun
    Director, Open Compliance Program
    The Linux Foundation

    On Wed, Dec 8, 2010 at 8:29 AM, Martin Michlmayr <tbm@...> wrote:
[...]

    License Meeting Minutes from today are available

    Kim Weins

    Hi Everyone

    Minutes on license meeting are now available on the wiki at the link below.

    We have a few remaining followups that are being chased down (per the minutes) and after that we will temporarily CLOSE adding of new licenses.  We need to focus on getting the license repo in place and getting license data loaded and reviewed.  Once that is done, we will define and document the process for adding new licenses to the list and re-open the list.  If you see any egregious items missing from the license list, please let us know ASAP.  Everything else will need to wait for the license repo to get in place — we’re estimating that will be about 8 weeks away.

    License List on wiki
    http://www.spdx.org/wiki/license-list

    Minutes
    http://www.spdx.org/wiki/license-subteam-minutes-20101203

    Kim

    Kim Weins | Senior Vice President, Marketing
    kim.weins@...
    Follow me on Twitter @KimAtOpenLogic

    650 279 0410 | cell
    www.openlogic.com
    Follow OpenLogic on Twitter @OpenLogic

    OpenLogic, Inc.
    Headquarters, Broomfield, Colorado

    Updated Invitation: SPDX Legal Workstream (Rollout) Call 11ET/10CT/8PT @ Wed Dec 15 8am - 9am (spdx@fossbazaar.org)

    Esteban Rockett <mgia3940@...>

    This event has been changed.

    Changed: SPDX Legal Workstream (Rollout) Call 11ET/10CT/8PT

    All:

    After successful work to date, the SPDX team has established 3 workstreams (Legal, Business & Technical) to further efficient continued progress of SDPX.

    Towards this end, this notice is to invite any interested attorney or software license professional to the SPDX Legal Workstream.

    The Agenda for this first Rollout meeting will be:

    (1) Outlining the Objectives of the Legal Workstream;
    (2) Summary of work done in the prior "SPDX Licensing Track", and remaining items; and
    (3) Presentation of SPDX Beta 1.0 abstracts; and fielding remaining questions from Linux Foundation Member Counsel on Beta 1.0.

    Many thanks,

    Rockett

    Motorola Inc.
    E.A. Rockett
    Senior Counsel
    Software, Applications &
    Digital Content Licensing
    (408)541-6703 (O)
    (408)541-6900 (F)
    (415)508-7625 (M)
    rockett@...

    When
    Wed Dec 15 8am – 9am Pacific Time
    Where
    Conference Bridge 1.877.825.8522 PIN:0376146 (map)
    Calendar
    spdx@...
    Who
    Esteban Rockett - organizer
    tony.gomes@...
    adcohn@...
    feb.cabrasawan@...
    Mikko.Amper@...
    rfontana@...
    jmcbroom@...
    Alexandra.Siegel@...
    linda.shih@...
    jwacha@...
    mpierovi@...
    smortin@...
    kathleen.mullins@...
    rtiller@...
    amanda.brock@...
    alastern@...
    ilardi@...
    sadams@...
    paul.madick@...
    areid@...
    owen.james.boyle@...
    bgieseman@...
    Guy.Colpitts@...
    pmcbride@...
    scott.k.peterson@...
    mrc@...
    tcarlson@...
    spaek@...
    andrew.wilson@...
    barbara.reilly@...
    gsjones@...
    JOHN ELLIS
    bkahin@...
    mccoy.smith@...
    andrew.updegrove@...
    ssemel@...
    kcopenhaver@...
    spdx@...
    spdx-legal-request@...

    Going?   Yes - Maybe - No    more options »

    Invitation from Google Calendar

    You are receiving this courtesy email at the account spdx@... because you are an attendee of this event.

    To stop receiving future notifications for this event, decline this event. Alternatively you can sign up for a Google account at https://www.google.com/calendar/ and control your notification settings for your entire calendar.

    Invitation: SPDX SPDX Legal Workstream (Rollout) Call 11ET/10CT/8PT @ Wed Dec 15 8am - 9am (spdx@fossbazaar.org)

    Esteban Rockett <mgia3940@...>

    1361 - 1380 of 1589