Date

SPDX General Meeting Minutes

Philip Odence

We are back in business!

Next call is Dec 15 at 11am Boston time.

Attendance: 7

Technical Team Report - Kate

  • Bugzilla, the final piece of downed infrastracture up, so we are finally fully functional
  • Tech team has been meeting regularly thru the outtage.
  • Minutes have been distributed through the mailing list and will be posted
  • Shortly a new draft will be available, either "1.1" or "1.0.1"
  • EdW is still working on a proposal for handling hierarchy which will be the basis for SPDX 2.0.
  • There have been some good recent contributions to the SPDX tools including a new verification tool

Business Team Report - Michael Herzog (in Kim's absence)

  • Most of the recent discussion has been on our infrastructure plan in the wake of the outtage.
  • No update on new website.

Legal Team Report - Jilayne (in Rockett's absence)

  • Data license issue
    • Seems to be resolved to everyone's satisfaction.
    • Rockett drafted a pre-amble to the CC0 license and got support from Eben Moglen.
  • Next Steps
    • Templatizing work is resuming in the next Legal Team call.
    • Jilayne is resuming some clean-up on the license list

Cross Functional Issues – Phil

  • Infrastructure
    • Discussed the LF's infrastructure issue. Phil's opinion is that the new infrastructure meets our needs
    • In the next couple weeks there will be a meeting with folks from the Linux Foundation in which they will present an overview what's been done, the idea being to make us comfortable.
    • We don't want to group to be overly large, but if anyone is interested in participating, email Phil.

Open Action Items

Attendees

  • Phil Odence, Black Duck Software
  • Kate Stewart, Canonical
  • Jilayne Lovejoy, OpenLogic
  • Michael Herzog, nexB
  • Philippe Obredanne, nexB
  • Adam Cohn, Cisco
  • Brandon Robinson, Cisco

Re: ** Revised Draft SPDX CC-0 Preamble **

Jilayne Lovejoy <jilayne.lovejoy@...>

A few nit-picky, but not crucial suggestions:

  • is "compliance" the right word in the first sentence?
  • first and second sentence seem like they should be the same paragraph, since all related to definition of "SPDX Metadata"
  • "you hereby agree that any copyright... Shall be subject to..." - is that right? Is it the copyright that is subject to the CC-Zero license, or should it be, "you hereby agree that any copyrightable material ... In any SPDX-Metadata... Shall be subject"? (or does it make a difference either way?)
  • "copyright rights" sounds odd. I think that UK attorneys simply would say "copyright" in the first scenario below, which is much cleaner sounding and looking.  Same usage could be implemented in the second scenario or "copyrightable material" as suggested in red below

On 11/30/11 9:01 AM, "Esteban Rockett" <mgia3940@...> wrote:

SPDX Legal Workstream Members:

- Eden is ok with CC-0 and the following preamble for the SDPX-Metadata.

Rockett

** Revised Draft SPDX CC-0 Preamble **

Compliance with the SPDX specification includes populating the SPDX fields therein with data related to such fields ("SPDX-Metadata").

The SPDX specification contains numerous fields where an SPDX author may provide relevant explanatory text in SPDX-Metadata.

Without opining on the lawfulness of "database rights" (in jurisdictions where applicable), such explanatory text is copyrightable subject matter in most Berne Convention countries.

By using the SPDX specification, or any portion hereof, you hereby agree that any copyright [rights] STRIKE (as determined by your jurisdiction) in any SPDX-Metadata, including without limitation explanatory text, shall be subject to the terms of the [below recited] (STRIKE - parentesis at end of sentence says the same thing) Creative Commons CC0 1.0 Universal license (reproduced in its entirety below).

Further, for SPDX-Metadata not containing any copyrightable material, you hereby agree and acknowledge that the SPDX-Metadata is provided to you "as-is" and without any representations or warranties of any kind concerning the SPDX-Metadata, express, implied, statutory or otherwise, including without limitation warranties of title, merchantability, fitness for a particular purpose, non infringement, or the absence of latent or other defects, accuracy, or the present or absence of errors, whether or not discoverable, all to the greatest extent permissible under applicable law.

***

Jilayne Lovejoy |  Corporate Counsel
jlovejoy@...

720 240 4545  |  phone
720 240 4556  |  fax
1 888 OpenLogic  |  toll free
www.openlogic.com

OpenLogic, Inc.
10910 W 120th Ave, Suite 450
Broomfield, Colorado 80021

SPDX Update

Philip Odence

SPDX Community,

As most of you know, the Linux Foundation web properties were victim to a very sophisticated attack from which the Foundation is nearly recovered. The time it has taken to recover is reflective of how seriously the Foundation took has taken the incident. They have been pretty much 100%, 7 days a week focused on putting back in place a super-hardened infrastructure to avoid the issue in the future. Finally, SPDX and our mailing lists are back in action. Thanks for your patience.

This has obviously been a big hit to SPDX progress. Amazingly, some good work has gotten done over the last couple months, hurdles notwithstanding. Now it's time to get a back on track. To get momentum ramped up, we need everyone individually to dive back in; please take 30 seconds to get yourself psyched up. First order of business is for each of the teams to create a report on current status and next steps, which we will circulate to the General list. Otherwise it's business as usual on our old normal schedule.

An elephant in the room is: How do we avoid this in the future? As companies become committed to SPDX, they will also become dependent on our on-line assets. In this sense, the timing of the incident could have been much worse. Let's take it as a wakeup call that we need to ensure we have a reliable site. Given the work that the LF has done, there's a good chance that the new platform and processes are sufficiently secure and reliable for our needs. We are in the midst of discussions with the Linux Foundation to verify that the new infrastructure can meet our needs in the future.

To help everyone sync'ed, below is the ongoing schedule. Looking forward to reconnecting and once again moving forward.

Best wishes,

Vice President of Business Development
Black Duck Software, Inc.
265 Winter Street, Waltham, MA 02451
Phone: 781.810.1819, Mobile: 781.258.9502
Skype: philip.odence

GENERAL MEETING
Purpose- Reporting out of by each team.
Calls- Every two weeks; Thursday at 11am US Eastern time. Next one: Dec 1
Organizer- Phil Odence, podence@...
Dial in Info-

TECHNICAL TEAM MEETING
Purpose- Technical discussion around the spec and its implementation
Mailing list- spdx-tech@...
IRC: #spdx at Freenode.net
Contact - Kate Stewart (stewart@...)
Calls- every week on Tuesday at 2pm EST (1900 GMT)
Host - Bill Schineller (bschineller@...)
Dial in Info-  (877) 435-0230; Conference code: 7833942033.
Screenshare: http://blackducksoftware.na6.acrobat.com/spdxrdf/

BUSINESS TEAM MEETING
Purpose- Discuss business team issues such as website, community outreach, business processes.
Calls- Every other week (opposite week from General Meeting); Thursday 11am ET/8am PT; Next one Dec 8
Organizer-Kim Weins, kim.weins@...
Dial in Info- 866-740-1260  ID 2404502

LEGAL TEAM MEETING
Purpose- Handling all legal issues associated with the project (spec, website, licensing, etc.)
Calls- Every two weeks; Wednesday at 11am US Eastern time. Next one: Nov 30
Organizer-Esteban Rockett rockett@...
Dial in Info-  1.877.825.8522 PIN:0376146

Re: status of git repositories?

Jeff Licquia

On 11/26/2011 11:29 AM, Peter Bigot wrote:
I see from email earlier this month that there was some sort of
problem which explains why the tools page link to
http://git.linuxfoundation.org/?p=spdx-tools.git;a=tree does not work
(it comes back with "no such project"). I'd also somewhere run across
minutes from a meeting a couple months ago suggesting the tools were
going to be split into separate Python and Java repositories, so
perhaps the link is simply out of date.

Are these tools still available anywhere, or will they be restored anytime soon?
Yes; the Linux Foundation is still restoring services after the security
breach we had a while back. While a lot has been restored, we're still
ironing out some of the kinks.

You may have better luck with the following link:

http://git.spdx.org/?p=spdx-tools.git;a=summary

If you find any other things that are hard to find, let us know.
--
Jeff Licquia
The Linux Foundation

Linux Foundation Events Schedule: events.linuxfoundation.org

Join us this year in celebrating the 20th Anniversary of Linux!
Watch the "Story of Linux" here:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5ocq6_3-nEw
See all of the 20th Anniversary activities here:
http://www.linuxfoundation.org/20th

status of git repositories?

Peter A. Bigot

From an email in the OpenEmbedded development group I've found SPDX,
and would like to try following the current specification in a new
open source project I'm going to release. Ideally I'd like to be able
to put tag values into the source files and have them automatically
extracted. So, I'm looking for SPDX-related tools.

I see from email earlier this month that there was some sort of
problem which explains why the tools page link to
http://git.linuxfoundation.org/?p=spdx-tools.git;a=tree does not work
(it comes back with "no such project"). I'd also somewhere run across
minutes from a meeting a couple months ago suggesting the tools were
going to be split into separate Python and Java repositories, so
perhaps the link is simply out of date.

Are these tools still available anywhere, or will they be restored anytime soon?

Thanks.

Peter

SPDX General team meeting schedule

Kirsten Newcomer

Hi all,

My apologies for the missed General team meeting today. I had a conflict today and didn't realize that Phil was also unavailable.

The next SPDX General meeting will be held on Thursday, December 1, at the usual time of 11 am ET.

We'll talk to you then! Thanks!

Kirsten

Kirsten Newcomer
Senior Product Manager
Black Duck Software, Inc.

knewcomer@...
Office: +1.781.810.1839   Mobile: +1.781-710-2184

Re: Status of spdx.org

Tom "spot" Callaway

On 11/11/2011 12:25 AM, Martin Michlmayr wrote:
- I was asked to install mediawiki a few months ago but afaik this
was not used at all. I've therefore no plans to install it... is
this ok or do you need it? (Note: this is not the wiki at
spdx.org/wiki but a separate wiki that Tom Callaway requested)
I am not currently active on SPDX efforts at the moment, as it is
unclear whether or not Fedora will participate going forward at this
point. I suppose you don't have to add mediawiki just for me then.

~tom

==
Fedora Project

Status of spdx.org

Martin Michlmayr

I'm happy to say that spdx.org is back. Here is a status update.

What works:

- Web site: spdx.org (as well as fossbazaar.org) are back.
You should have received an email already on how to reset your
password.

- Mailing lists: all spdx lists (spdx, spdx-tech, spdx-legal
and spdx-biz) are working again; see https://fossbazaar.org/mailman/listinfo
for archives and more information. If you have subscribed to
an SPDX list in the past, you are already subscribed; there's
no need to re-subscribe.

Questions and input needed:

- I performed an audit of the code (i.e. the software behind our
web site). I also looked at the web site and it seems that
everything looks ok. However, if you notice any problems with
the web site, the mailing lists or anything else, let me know.
We had to re-install everything, so it's possible that there
are some problems I'm not aware of.

- I was asked to install mediawiki a few months ago but afaik this
was not used at all. I've therefore no plans to install it... is
this ok or do you need it? (Note: this is not the wiki at
spdx.org/wiki but a separate wiki that Tom Callaway requested)

- Sandbox (we had a test site where Steve Cropper and others were
working on a new design of the web site): I emailed Steve to see
what the requirements are.

Things I cannot help with:

- The bug tracker and the git repos are on LF infrastructure and not
done by me. I don't have an estimate on when they'll be back.
Kate is already in contact with the LF admins on this, however.

Any questions or problems - please let me know.

Martin

P.S. Thanks to Jeff Licquia and Eric Searcy from the Linux Foundation
for their help getting things back.

--
Martin Michlmayr
Open Source Program Office, Hewlett-Packard

SPDX General Meeting today

Philip Odence

Sorry for the late reminder; I'm just getting back into the post-LinuxCon groove.

Meeting Time: Sept 8, 8am PDT / 10 am CDT / 11am EDT / 15:00 UTC. http://www.timeanddate.com/worldclock/converter.html

Technical Team Report - Kate

Legal Team Report - Rockett/Karen

Business Team Report - Kim

Cross Functional Issues – Phil
Handling "over the transom" requests for information on the various lists.

Re: Clarification on purpose and participation

Karim Ratib <karim.ratib@...>

Kim and Daniel,

Thanks for your informative replies. My main interest at this point is
to generate an SPDX from a running Drupal installation, not a source
code repository, if at all feasible - I'll check how Ninka can help
there.

In general, my motivation for exploring the software inventory domain
is not legal as much as it is economically oriented: knowing which
open source packages are used in a project is the first step in
budgeting some resources (money, effort) to go towards those packages'
communities. Being an open source producer/consumer myself, I wish
this was an established practice.

Best,
Karim

On Sat, Sep 3, 2011 at 12:48 PM, D M German <dmg@...> wrote:
 Kim Weins twisted the bytes to say:

 Kim> Their are several commercial tools that do this, but we also feel that open
 Kim> source tools will be critical.  Today there are a couple of OSS tools that
 Kim> can help find and identify open source licenses.  One is FOSSology (created
 Kim> and maintained by HP) which is available at fossology.org.  They are also
 Kim> hosting it at OSU's Open Source Lab.  Another is ninka (
 Kim> http://ninka.turingmachine.org/) which was created by Daniel German.  I've
 Kim> cc'd Daniel -- since you may want to talk to him about some of his
 Kim> experience doing this.  I don't believe FOSSology or Ninka will generate an
 Kim> SPDX file (yet).  We also have some free OSS tools on the spdx.org site that
 Kim> can help you convert a software bill of materials from spreadsheet form into
 Kim> SPDX format.  However that assumes you already have the info about what open
 Kim> source licenses are included.

I wrote some scripts that will actually do a decent job of generating an
SPDX document. The only (challenge|problem) is that Ninka does not recognized
many of the SPDX licenses. here is an example, using Linux as the Guinea pig:

http://turingmachine.org/~dmg/temp/linux-3.0.2.spdx.v0.1

Notice that this is not a true SPDX compliant document:

- It is licensed under the Creative Commons.
- It has some extra tags that I find useful.
- It does not contain a verification code.

--dmg

--
Daniel M. German
http://turingmachine.org/

Re: Clarification on purpose and participation

dmg

Kim Weins twisted the bytes to say:

Kim> Their are several commercial tools that do this, but we also feel that open
Kim> source tools will be critical. Today there are a couple of OSS tools that
Kim> can help find and identify open source licenses. One is FOSSology (created
Kim> and maintained by HP) which is available at fossology.org. They are also
Kim> hosting it at OSU's Open Source Lab. Another is ninka (
Kim> http://ninka.turingmachine.org/) which was created by Daniel German. I've
Kim> cc'd Daniel -- since you may want to talk to him about some of his
Kim> experience doing this. I don't believe FOSSology or Ninka will generate an
Kim> SPDX file (yet). We also have some free OSS tools on the spdx.org site that
Kim> can help you convert a software bill of materials from spreadsheet form into
Kim> SPDX format. However that assumes you already have the info about what open
Kim> source licenses are included.

I wrote some scripts that will actually do a decent job of generating an
SPDX document. The only (challenge|problem) is that Ninka does not recognized
many of the SPDX licenses. here is an example, using Linux as the Guinea pig:

http://turingmachine.org/~dmg/temp/linux-3.0.2.spdx.v0.1

Notice that this is not a true SPDX compliant document:

- It is licensed under the Creative Commons.
- It has some extra tags that I find useful.
- It does not contain a verification code.

--dmg

--
Daniel M. German
http://turingmachine.org/
http://silvernegative.com/
dmg (at) uvic (dot) ca
replace (at) with @ and (dot) with .

Re: Clarification on purpose and participation

Kim Weins

Hi Karim

Thanks so much for your interest and sorry for the slow response!

All of the questions that you have asked are exactly on track with our next
steps for SPDX. Now that we have a v1 of the SPDX spec, we want to start to
create tools that will help developers that create or use OSS to better
generate SPDX files.

Their are several commercial tools that do this, but we also feel that open
source tools will be critical. Today there are a couple of OSS tools that
can help find and identify open source licenses. One is FOSSology (created
and maintained by HP) which is available at fossology.org. They are also
hosting it at OSU's Open Source Lab. Another is ninka (
http://ninka.turingmachine.org/) which was created by Daniel German. I've
cc'd Daniel -- since you may want to talk to him about some of his
experience doing this. I don't believe FOSSology or Ninka will generate an
SPDX file (yet). We also have some free OSS tools on the spdx.org site that
can help you convert a software bill of materials from spreadsheet form into
SPDX format. However that assumes you already have the info about what open
source licenses are included.

We are also looking to create additional tools/toolkits that can be used,
and would love help in that process.

If you are interested in participating, we have three workstreams --
technical, legal and business. Each group holds regular open calls to
discuss issues. You can find more details on the participate section of
spdx.org.

Also, you can sign up for the mailing lists and participate that way as
well.

Kim

On Fri 8/26/11 3:57 PM, "Karim Ratib" <karim.ratib@...> wrote:

Hello,

I just discovered SPDX and after watching the 3-minute video and
reading through the Web site, I am eager to understand more - and
possibly to participate in the effort, in my capacity as a software
developer.

I develop web applications using the open source Drupal CMS, and each
implementation typically uses tens, if not hundreds, of contributed
modules. Each module as well as the core system are GPL licensed. I
would like to generate a bill of material for the whole application,
and eventually for the server that hosts the application.

My initial thought is to write a software tool that generates a single
SPDX file based on the Drupal installation's metadata - core version,
installed modules, additional libraries, etc.

Is this what would be expected to comply with the SPDX vision?

As follow-up questions:
- Is there a convention to query Web applications for their SPDX (e.g.
a well-known URI) ?
Nope. Interesting idea thought
- Are there existing tools within Linux distributions to generate SPDX
for installed packages ?
Nope. We want to create some tools though.
- Is there a recommended workflow for generating a comprehensive SPDX
document for a given computer (desktop/server) ?
Nope.

Sorry of these are naive questions - thanks in advance for taking the
time to enlighten me.

Karim

Kim Weins | Senior Vice President, Marketing
kim.weins@...
Follow me on Twitter @KimAtOpenLogic

650 279 0410 | cell
www.openlogic.com
Follow OpenLogic on Twitter @openlogic

Canceled Event: SPDX Legal Workstream Call 11ET/10CT/8PT @ Wed Aug 31 8am - 9am (spdx@fossbazaar.org)

Esteban Rockett <mgia3940@...>

This event has been canceled and removed from your calendar.

SPDX Legal Workstream Call 11ET/10CT/8PT

All:

As discussed, this is a reminder that we agreed to meet "same time, same place" this week to attempt to finish resolving the "meta-data/confidentiality issue for verision 1.1 of the specification.

I actually thought I sent this reminder notice out last week, but just noticed I did not.

(I just went through a complex week, with moving from the East Coast to California, and (due to Hurricane Irene) 2 re-scheduled flights and lost of power when I needed to finish packing up family ... hard to pack in the dark.)

Many thanks,

Rockett

Motorola Inc.
E.A. Rockett
Senior Counsel
Software, Applications &
Digital Content Licensing
(408)541-6703 (O)
(408)541-6900 (F)
(415)508-7625 (M)
rockett@...

When
Wed Aug 31 8am – 9am Pacific Time
Where
Conference Bridge 1.877.825.8522 PIN:0376146 (map)
Calendar
spdx@...
Who
Esteban Rockett - organizer

Invitation from Google Calendar

You are receiving this courtesy email at the account spdx@... because you are an attendee of this event.

To stop receiving future notifications for this event, decline this event. Alternatively you can sign up for a Google account at https://www.google.com/calendar/ and control your notification settings for your entire calendar.

Updated Invitation: SPDX Legal Workstream Call 11ET/10CT/8PT @ Wed Aug 31 8am - 9am (spdx@fossbazaar.org)

Esteban Rockett <mgia3940@...>

This event has been changed.

SPDX Legal Workstream Call 11ET/10CT/8PT

Changed: All:

[...]

Changed: Wed Aug 31 8am – 9am Pacific Time
Where
Conference Bridge 1.877.825.8522 PIN:0376146 (map)
Calendar
spdx@...
Who
Esteban Rockett - organizer
amanda.brock@... - creator
sadams@...
tony.gomes@...
feb.cabrasawan@...
rfontana@...
jmcbroom@...
Alexandra.Siegel@...
linda.shih@...
mpierovi@...
kathleen.mullins@...
rtiller@...
JOHN ELLIS
alastern@...
Mikko.Amper@...
adcohn@...
paul.madick@...
ilardi@...
areid@...
tom.incorvia@...
Mansour Ghomeshi
smortin@...
owen.james.boyle@...
scott.k.peterson@...
bgieseman@...
Guy.Colpitts@...
pmcbride@...
tcarlson@...
spaek@...
andrew.wilson@...
barbara.reilly@...
jwacha@...
bkahin@...
mrc@...
andrew.updegrove@...
vmah@...
mccoy.smith@...
ssemel@...
gsjones@...
kcopenhaver@...
spdx@...
spdx-legal-request@...

Going?   Yes - Maybe - No    more options »

[...]

No SPDX General Meeting...next one Sept 8

Philip Odence

To let everyone catch a late summer breath in the wake of the V1.0 release, we'll not be holding a general meeting this week.

LinuxCon SPDX Summary
It was a great event. The main focus was the 20th anniversary of Linux, but despite that, the first slide of Jim Zemlin's opening was the SPDX 1.0 announcement. Several hours before that, we put out a press release (well done, Kim) with a number of great quotes from the community. Rockett and I presented details of the 1.0 release to a group of about 40 and the news was well received. As you know we had a booth; none of the booths were terribly active, but we did have folks stop by the SPDX booth each day. We also had a BoF (Birds of a Feather) session with about a dozen participants. A few issues came up in that session which we will be discussing in the various teams. The main thrusts of the discussion were around hierarchy/nesting of SPDX files and licensing of the data. On the latter point, there was concern about the unfamiliarity of the PDDL, and that it would impede adoption.
Again, congrats to everyone who contributed to the 1.0 release…onward and upward.

LinuxCon: I have an extra ticket to the gala

dmg

in case somebody needs one... let me know...

Daniel M. German
http://turingmachine.org/
http://silvernegative.com/
dmg (at) uvic (dot) ca
replace (at) with @ and (dot) with .

SPDX V1.0 Announced

Philip Odence

Congrats and thanks (from Vancouver) to everyone who has been involved with SPDX.

Vice President of Business Development
Black Duck Software, Inc.
265 Winter Street, Waltham, MA 02451
Phone: 781.810.1819, Mobile: 781.258.9502
Skype: philip.odence

Re: Cancelled: SPDX Business (Rollout) Call 11ET/8PT

guillaume.rousseau@antelink.com

Hi everyone,
I was wondering if the final version of the press release was avalailable, and when it will be released (should be tomorrow).
best regards,
Guillaume

Le 15/08/11 18:27, Kim Weins a écrit :

We will be doing the rollout for SPDX 1.0 at LinuxCon NA.

We will reconvene in 2 weeks at the normal time.

Kim

US  866-740-1260
Int'l  http://www.readytalk.com/support/international-numbers.php

ID 2404502

Web Meeting
Www.readytalk.com
ID 2404502

Agenda
We will be covering several areas on the rollout plan.

1. Beta process
2. User Content - what is needed
3. Evangelism and outreach

Guillaume ROUSSEAU
CEO, Co-Founder, Antelink
Président, Cofondateur, Antelink

18, rue Yves Toudic, 75010, Paris 10ème, France
http://www.antelink.com/
+33 1 42 39 30 78

Cancelled: SPDX Business (Rollout) Call 11ET/8PT

Kim Weins

We will be doing the rollout for SPDX 1.0 at LinuxCon NA.

We will reconvene in 2 weeks at the normal time.

Kim

US  866-740-1260
Int'l  http://www.readytalk.com/support/international-numbers.php

ID 2404502

Web Meeting
Www.readytalk.com
ID 2404502

Agenda
We will be covering several areas on the rollout plan.

1. Beta process
2. User Content - what is needed
3. Evangelism and outreach

1121 - 1140 of 1590