Date

Re: SPDX at 2012 Events

Kim Weins

Tom

That would be awesome.

I also have an update for you on the licensing issue of data in SPDX files.
We've taken your feedback and that of others and made some changes to the
licensing that I think you will like. I'll send a separate email with the
details soon.

Kim

On Thu 12/15/11 11:39 AM, "Tom Callaway" <tcallawa@...> wrote:

On 12/15/2011 11:42 AM, Kim Weins wrote:

o FUDCon ­ Jan VA
I'll be at FUDCon, and would be willing to go through a basic abstract
(while not committing Fedora to anything).

~tom

==
Fedora Project

Kim Weins | Senior Vice President, Marketing
kim.weins@...
Follow me on Twitter @KimAtOpenLogic

650 279 0410 | cell
www.openlogic.com
Follow OpenLogic on Twitter @openlogic

Re: SPDX at 2012 Events

Ciaran Farrell

Hi Richard,

we (SUSE's product legal team) were thinking of going to FOSDEM specifically for the legal devroom. It'd be great if there was a SPDX talk there...

Ciaran

Am Thu 15 Dec 2011 18:57:25 CET schrieb Richard Fontana <rfontana@...>:

FOSDEM (Feb 2012) is not listed under 'Others' but in case there is
interest in addressing a sophisticated developer audience on SPDX or
other topics, let me plug the first-ever FOSDEM Legal Issues DevRoom
which I am helping to organize: CFP:
http://info9.net/wiki/fosdem/LegalIssuesDevRoom/

- Richard

On Thu, Dec 15, 2011 at 09:42:13AM -0700, Kim Weins wrote:
Hi all

We have created a list of potential events where we would like to have a talk
on SPDX. We will create a few abstracts that anyone can use (or modify). It
would also be helpful to have talks about use cases from some of the end user
members of SPDX.

If you are planning to be at one of these events (or an event that's not
listed) and would like to submit a talk on SPDX, please let Kim know
kim.weins@.... We’ll try to coordinate so that we can cover as many
events as possible.

This list is also available at http://www.spdx.org/wiki/events-2012

• LF
□ Android Builder/Embedded – Feb CA
□ Collab Summit – Apr CA -- Kim to submit a talk
□ Enterprise Summit – May NY
□ LinuxCon Japan – Jun Yokohama
□ LinuxCon NA – Aug San Diego
□ LinuxCon Europe – Nov Barcelona
• Others
□ DebConf Jul 2012 Nicaragua
□ OSCON – Jul Portland --
□ ApacheCOn – Nov - Scott Lamons willing to speak
□ EclipseCon – Mar DC
□ FUDCon – Jan VA
□ Open World Forum -- Fall Paris?

Kim Weins | Senior Vice President, Marketing
kim.weins@...
Follow me on Twitter @KimAtOpenLogic

650 279 0410 | cell
www.openlogic.com
Follow OpenLogic on Twitter @openlogic

Re: SPDX at 2012 Events

Mahshad Koohgoli

I think this is a good opportunity to create awareness in  Eclipse community. A BOF is a great idea. Any other takers?

The program for EclipseCon has already been finalized. But if anyone wanted to organize a meeting room or a BOF, that may still be possible.

[...]

Tom "spot" Callaway

On 12/15/2011 11:42 AM, Kim Weins wrote:

o FUDCon – Jan VA
I'll be at FUDCon, and would be willing to go through a basic abstract
(while not committing Fedora to anything).

~tom

==
Fedora Project

Re: SPDX at 2012 Events

Richard Fontana

[...]

SPDX General Meeting Minutes & Next Meeting

Philip Odence

No meeting on Dec 29. Happy New Year!

Next meeting: January 12.

SPDX at 2012 Events

Kim Weins

[...]

Help needed with website update

Kim Weins

Hi All

We will be rolling out the new version of the website in early January.  We will have the new website up in parallel from Mon Dec 19 – Fri Jan 6 to move content over from the old site to the new site.

We are looking for volunteers to own sections of the new site and be responsible for moving content over or filling in new content where needed.  Below are the lists of sections or subsections of the new site and the volunteers so far.  We’d like to get volunteers on each of these.  Please let me know if you are able to take a section.  We will provide detailed instructions on what you need to do and no special technical or HTML skills are needed.

You can review the mindmap for the new website at http://www.spdx.org/wiki/spdx-web-site-mind-maps
You can review the assignment list at  http://www.spdx.org/wiki/website-content-assignments

Kim

  • Intro to SPDX
    • Background -- Phil O
    • Membership -
    • How to Participate
    • Roles & Responsibilities
  • Documentation
    • Current Specification -
    • FAQs - Mark Gisi
    • Archive Specs
    • Whitepapers/Tutorials/Other Content - Kim
    • Beta Collateral - Kim
    • Launch Collateral - Kim
  • Tools -- Gary
  • Current Activities
    • Beta Test  Kim
    • SPDX Launch - Kim
  • WorkGroups
    • General - Phil O
    • Technical -
    • Legal
    • Business - Kim
    • Website Refresh - Web Team
  • Calendar
  • Blogs & Discussion
  • Finding your way around this site

Kim Weins |
Senior Vice President, Marketing
kim.weins@...
Follow me on Twitter @KimAtOpenLogic

650 279 0410  |  cell
www.openlogic.com
Follow OpenLogic on Twitter @openlogic

Re: SPDX and the Collaboration Summit

Kim Weins

The Biz Team will take responsibility for getting a speaking slot at the key
events. We'll of course be asking for volunteers who will be at various
events to do the speaking. I can do the Collab Summit one.

And yes, I think we should do a F2F there.

Kim

On Thu 12/15/11 6:47 AM, "Martin Michlmayr" <tbm@...> wrote:

We had a very productive SPDX meeting at the Collaboration Summit
earlier this year. In 2012, the Collaboration Summit will take place
from April 3 to 5 (again in San Francisco but at a different hotel).

Are we planning to have another face to face meeting in April?

The CFP is currently open and if we want to have a room for a SPDX
meeting we should request one:
https://events.linuxfoundation.org/events/collaboration-summit/cfp

Kim Weins | Senior Vice President, Marketing
kim.weins@...
Follow me on Twitter @KimAtOpenLogic

650 279 0410 | cell
www.openlogic.com
Follow OpenLogic on Twitter @openlogic

SPDX and the Collaboration Summit

Martin Michlmayr

--
Martin Michlmayr
Open Source Program Office, Hewlett-Packard

FW: SPDX General Meeting Thursday Reminder

Philip Odence

Sorry, I had the wrong date in the previous version.

From: Phil Odence <podence@...>
Date: Tue, 13 Dec 2011 08:38:27 -0500
To: "spdx@..." <spdx@...>
Subject: SPDX General Meeting Thursday Reminder

Meeting Time: December 15, 8am PDT / 10 am CDT / 11am EDT / 15:00 UTC. http://www.timeanddate.com/worldclock/converter.html

Approve Minutes
http://www.spdx.org/wiki/2011122-general-meeting-minutes
Technical Team Report - Kate

Legal Team Report - Rockett/Karen

Business Team Report - Kim

Cross Functional Issues

Meeting Time: Sept 8, 8am PDT / 10 am CDT / 11am EDT / 15:00 UTC. http://www.timeanddate.com/worldclock/converter.html

Approve Minutes
http://www.spdx.org/wiki/2011122-general-meeting-minutes
Technical Team Report - Kate

Legal Team Report - Rockett/Karen

Business Team Report - Kim

Cross Functional Issues

SPDX Business Team Minutes

Kim Weins

Hi all

We had a meeting today — minutes here.
http://www.spdx.org/wiki/business-team-meeting-agendaminutes-2011-12-08.

Topics included:
-Website
-Community outreach
-2012 goals for business team

We are going to be needing help in the next month to migrate content to our new website.  Stay tuned for more info as we request volunteers to own pages or sections.

Kim

Kim Weins |
Senior Vice President, Marketing
kim.weins@...
Follow me on Twitter @KimAtOpenLogic

650 279 0410  |  cell
www.openlogic.com
Follow OpenLogic on Twitter @openlogic

SPDX General Meeting Minutes

Philip Odence

We are back in business!

Next call is Dec 15 at 11am Boston time.

Attendance: 7

Technical Team Report - Kate

  • Bugzilla, the final piece of downed infrastracture up, so we are finally fully functional
  • Tech team has been meeting regularly thru the outtage.
  • Minutes have been distributed through the mailing list and will be posted
  • Shortly a new draft will be available, either "1.1" or "1.0.1"
  • EdW is still working on a proposal for handling hierarchy which will be the basis for SPDX 2.0.
  • There have been some good recent contributions to the SPDX tools including a new verification tool

Business Team Report - Michael Herzog (in Kim's absence)

  • Most of the recent discussion has been on our infrastructure plan in the wake of the outtage.
  • No update on new website.

Legal Team Report - Jilayne (in Rockett's absence)

  • Data license issue
    • Seems to be resolved to everyone's satisfaction.
    • Rockett drafted a pre-amble to the CC0 license and got support from Eben Moglen.
  • Next Steps
    • Templatizing work is resuming in the next Legal Team call.
    • Jilayne is resuming some clean-up on the license list

Cross Functional Issues – Phil

  • Infrastructure
    • Discussed the LF's infrastructure issue. Phil's opinion is that the new infrastructure meets our needs
    • In the next couple weeks there will be a meeting with folks from the Linux Foundation in which they will present an overview what's been done, the idea being to make us comfortable.
    • We don't want to group to be overly large, but if anyone is interested in participating, email Phil.

Open Action Items

Attendees

  • Phil Odence, Black Duck Software
  • Kate Stewart, Canonical
  • Jilayne Lovejoy, OpenLogic
  • Michael Herzog, nexB
  • Philippe Obredanne, nexB
  • Adam Cohn, Cisco
  • Brandon Robinson, Cisco

Re: ** Revised Draft SPDX CC-0 Preamble **

Jilayne Lovejoy <jilayne.lovejoy@...>

A few nit-picky, but not crucial suggestions:

  • is "compliance" the right word in the first sentence?
  • first and second sentence seem like they should be the same paragraph, since all related to definition of "SPDX Metadata"
  • "you hereby agree that any copyright... Shall be subject to..." - is that right? Is it the copyright that is subject to the CC-Zero license, or should it be, "you hereby agree that any copyrightable material ... In any SPDX-Metadata... Shall be subject"? (or does it make a difference either way?)
  • "copyright rights" sounds odd. I think that UK attorneys simply would say "copyright" in the first scenario below, which is much cleaner sounding and looking.  Same usage could be implemented in the second scenario or "copyrightable material" as suggested in red below

On 11/30/11 9:01 AM, "Esteban Rockett" <mgia3940@...> wrote:

SPDX Legal Workstream Members:

- Eden is ok with CC-0 and the following preamble for the SDPX-Metadata.

Rockett

** Revised Draft SPDX CC-0 Preamble **

Compliance with the SPDX specification includes populating the SPDX fields therein with data related to such fields ("SPDX-Metadata").

The SPDX specification contains numerous fields where an SPDX author may provide relevant explanatory text in SPDX-Metadata.

Without opining on the lawfulness of "database rights" (in jurisdictions where applicable), such explanatory text is copyrightable subject matter in most Berne Convention countries.

By using the SPDX specification, or any portion hereof, you hereby agree that any copyright [rights] STRIKE (as determined by your jurisdiction) in any SPDX-Metadata, including without limitation explanatory text, shall be subject to the terms of the [below recited] (STRIKE - parentesis at end of sentence says the same thing) Creative Commons CC0 1.0 Universal license (reproduced in its entirety below).

Further, for SPDX-Metadata not containing any copyrightable material, you hereby agree and acknowledge that the SPDX-Metadata is provided to you "as-is" and without any representations or warranties of any kind concerning the SPDX-Metadata, express, implied, statutory or otherwise, including without limitation warranties of title, merchantability, fitness for a particular purpose, non infringement, or the absence of latent or other defects, accuracy, or the present or absence of errors, whether or not discoverable, all to the greatest extent permissible under applicable law.

***

Jilayne Lovejoy |  Corporate Counsel
jlovejoy@...

720 240 4545  |  phone
720 240 4556  |  fax
1 888 OpenLogic  |  toll free
www.openlogic.com

OpenLogic, Inc.
10910 W 120th Ave, Suite 450
Broomfield, Colorado 80021

SPDX Update

Philip Odence

SPDX Community,

As most of you know, the Linux Foundation web properties were victim to a very sophisticated attack from which the Foundation is nearly recovered. The time it has taken to recover is reflective of how seriously the Foundation took has taken the incident. They have been pretty much 100%, 7 days a week focused on putting back in place a super-hardened infrastructure to avoid the issue in the future. Finally, SPDX and our mailing lists are back in action. Thanks for your patience.

This has obviously been a big hit to SPDX progress. Amazingly, some good work has gotten done over the last couple months, hurdles notwithstanding. Now it's time to get a back on track. To get momentum ramped up, we need everyone individually to dive back in; please take 30 seconds to get yourself psyched up. First order of business is for each of the teams to create a report on current status and next steps, which we will circulate to the General list. Otherwise it's business as usual on our old normal schedule.

An elephant in the room is: How do we avoid this in the future? As companies become committed to SPDX, they will also become dependent on our on-line assets. In this sense, the timing of the incident could have been much worse. Let's take it as a wakeup call that we need to ensure we have a reliable site. Given the work that the LF has done, there's a good chance that the new platform and processes are sufficiently secure and reliable for our needs. We are in the midst of discussions with the Linux Foundation to verify that the new infrastructure can meet our needs in the future.

To help everyone sync'ed, below is the ongoing schedule. Looking forward to reconnecting and once again moving forward.

Best wishes,

Vice President of Business Development
Black Duck Software, Inc.
265 Winter Street, Waltham, MA 02451
Phone: 781.810.1819, Mobile: 781.258.9502
Skype: philip.odence

GENERAL MEETING
Purpose- Reporting out of by each team.
Calls- Every two weeks; Thursday at 11am US Eastern time. Next one: Dec 1
Organizer- Phil Odence, podence@...
Dial in Info-

TECHNICAL TEAM MEETING
Purpose- Technical discussion around the spec and its implementation
Mailing list- spdx-tech@...
IRC: #spdx at Freenode.net
Contact - Kate Stewart (stewart@...)
Calls- every week on Tuesday at 2pm EST (1900 GMT)
Host - Bill Schineller (bschineller@...)
Dial in Info-  (877) 435-0230; Conference code: 7833942033.
Screenshare: http://blackducksoftware.na6.acrobat.com/spdxrdf/

BUSINESS TEAM MEETING
Purpose- Discuss business team issues such as website, community outreach, business processes.
Calls- Every other week (opposite week from General Meeting); Thursday 11am ET/8am PT; Next one Dec 8
Organizer-Kim Weins, kim.weins@...
Dial in Info- 866-740-1260  ID 2404502

LEGAL TEAM MEETING
Purpose- Handling all legal issues associated with the project (spec, website, licensing, etc.)
Calls- Every two weeks; Wednesday at 11am US Eastern time. Next one: Nov 30
Organizer-Esteban Rockett rockett@...
Dial in Info-  1.877.825.8522 PIN:0376146

Re: status of git repositories?

Jeff Licquia

On 11/26/2011 11:29 AM, Peter Bigot wrote:
I see from email earlier this month that there was some sort of
problem which explains why the tools page link to
http://git.linuxfoundation.org/?p=spdx-tools.git;a=tree does not work
(it comes back with "no such project"). I'd also somewhere run across
minutes from a meeting a couple months ago suggesting the tools were
going to be split into separate Python and Java repositories, so
perhaps the link is simply out of date.

Are these tools still available anywhere, or will they be restored anytime soon?
Yes; the Linux Foundation is still restoring services after the security
breach we had a while back. While a lot has been restored, we're still
ironing out some of the kinks.

You may have better luck with the following link:

http://git.spdx.org/?p=spdx-tools.git;a=summary

If you find any other things that are hard to find, let us know.
--
Jeff Licquia
The Linux Foundation

Linux Foundation Events Schedule: events.linuxfoundation.org

Join us this year in celebrating the 20th Anniversary of Linux!
Watch the "Story of Linux" here:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5ocq6_3-nEw
See all of the 20th Anniversary activities here:
http://www.linuxfoundation.org/20th

status of git repositories?

Peter A. Bigot

From an email in the OpenEmbedded development group I've found SPDX,
and would like to try following the current specification in a new
open source project I'm going to release. Ideally I'd like to be able
to put tag values into the source files and have them automatically
extracted. So, I'm looking for SPDX-related tools.

I see from email earlier this month that there was some sort of
problem which explains why the tools page link to
http://git.linuxfoundation.org/?p=spdx-tools.git;a=tree does not work
(it comes back with "no such project"). I'd also somewhere run across
minutes from a meeting a couple months ago suggesting the tools were
going to be split into separate Python and Java repositories, so
perhaps the link is simply out of date.

Are these tools still available anywhere, or will they be restored anytime soon?

Thanks.

Peter

SPDX General team meeting schedule

Kirsten Newcomer

Hi all,

My apologies for the missed General team meeting today. I had a conflict today and didn't realize that Phil was also unavailable.

The next SPDX General meeting will be held on Thursday, December 1, at the usual time of 11 am ET.

We'll talk to you then! Thanks!

Kirsten

Kirsten Newcomer
Senior Product Manager
Black Duck Software, Inc.

knewcomer@...
Office: +1.781.810.1839   Mobile: +1.781-710-2184

1121 - 1140 of 1604