Date

Reminder about Thursday SPDX General Meeting and SOME IMPORTANT NOTES

Philip Odence

First, note that the US will be turning clocks back this weekend before Europe does, so the time change will be an hour greater than usual for a couple weeks.

Next, I would like to encourage everyone to attend the Linux Collaboration Summit this April the 15th-16th. SPDX will have its own tracks with meetings on Tuesday and Wednesday. Tuesdays focus will be on team meeting and Wednesday’s focus will be on tooling with a "plugfest” Wednesday afternoon.

The schedules are online here:

http://collaborationsummit2013.sched.org/overview/type/spdx#.UTZlzzfm7v0

Information on the Collaboration Summit can be found here:

http://events.linuxfoundation.org/events/collaboration-summit

Meeting Time: Thursday, March 7, 8am PST / 10 am CST / 11am EST / 15:00 UTC. http://www.timeanddate.com/worldclock/converter.html

Approve Minutes-
2013/2/7 General Meeting Minutes

Technical Team Report - Kate

Legal Team Report - Jilayne

Business Team Report – Jack/Scott

Cross Functional Issues – Phil
Website Update – Jack

UNO Fossology+SPDX team introduction

Sam Adams <dabomb322002@...>

Hello SPDX Members,

We are a team working on SPDX tooling at the University of Nebraska at Omaha. We are currently working on projects to: 1) provide SPDX generation capabilities to FOSSology through a FOSSology+SPDX module and to 2) create an SPDX dashboard that consumes and analyzes existing SPDX documents. Our Github organization can be found at:https://github.com/organizations/spdx-tools, with a repository dedicated to each effort.

In each repository, we have use cases for both the FOSSology+SPDX module and the SPDX dashboard and welcome any feedback to enhance our current use cases or create new ones. These can be found at:

FOSSology+SPDX https://github.com/spdx-tools/fossology-spdx/wiki/Fossology-SPDX-Use-Cases

SPDX Dashboard https://github.com/spdx-tools/spdx-dashboard/wiki/SPDX-Dashboard-Use-Cases

You can also find the work allocation plans for both projects at:

FOSSology+SPDX: https://github.com/spdx-tools/fossology-spdx/wiki/FOSSologySPDX-Workload-Allocation

SPDX Dashboard: https://github.com/spdx-tools/spdx-dashboard/wiki/SPDX-Work-Allocation

By Wednesday, March 6, we plan on having the file level editing capability of the FOSSology+SPDX module completed. ByFriday, March 20, we plan on having the initial SPDX dashboard functionality done, specifically an SPDX repository with SPDX commenting capability. An initial schema of the SPDX dashboard can be found at:https://github.com/spdx-tools/spdx-dashboard/wiki/SPDX-Dashboard-Schema

If you want to comment on any portion of our project or have any questions, please let us know. Thanks for your time.

Regards,

Sam Adams

Scott Humlicek

Jake Cloyd

Mike Santo

Liang Cao

Matt Germonprez

SPDX Tools Survey

Gary O'Neall

At the Linux Collaboration Summit, we will be presenting an overview of any tools which support SPDX.  The overview will cover both open source and commercial tools with a majority of the time spent on the open source tools.

If you are aware of any tools which support SPDX, please fill out the following survey by March 12: https://docs.google.com/forms/d/1sdHIc0We0TTJD-r4O259cO40Tehd95rZcd6xdzvfUgM/viewform

Principal Consultant

Source Auditor Inc.

Mobile: 408.805.0586

Email: gary@...

Re: SPDX General Meeting Minutes and New Schedule

Philip Odence

Note: at the bottom is information on the new schedule going forward, in case you missed it.

Meeting Time: Thursday, Feb 7, 8am PST / 10 am CST / 11am EST / 15:00 UTC. http://www.timeanddate.com/worldclock/converter.html

Approve Minutes-
http://spdx.org/wiki/2013110-general-meeting-minutes

From: Phil Odence <podence@...>
Date: Wednesday, January 23, 2013 10:52 AM
To: "spdx@..." <spdx@...>
Subject: SPDX General Meeting Minutes and New Schedule

Here are the meeting minutes from the January 10 General Meeting:

Going forward, we will go to a monthly schedule for the General Meeting. Recall that the purpose of the General Meeting is simply for each group to report out on progress, and the feeling is that a monthly reporting is sufficient. I will continue to issue minutes to the list and encourage anyone with interest in SPDX to sign up for this list to receive a monthly summary. We keep the traffic on this list low so as not to be burdensome to folks who just want to keep their fingers on the pulse. The real work gets done on the respective team lists.

So, going forward, the General Meetings will be held at the same time, 11am US Eastern, on the first Thursday of every month. The next one is February 7. I have not historically, used a calendar invite, but that is becoming a custom of the teams, so I will follow suit. Please don't respond to me, as this is a big list and I don’t want to be flooded with responses.

Lastly, let me put in a plug for a couple of volunteers to work with Jack on maintaining the website. This is not a big commitment, probably no more than a few hours a week, but it would be very helpful. Let know if you have any interest.

Vice President of Business Development
Black Duck Software, Inc.
8 New England Executive Park, Suite 211, Burlington MA 01803
Phone: 781.810.1819, Mobile: 781.258.9502
Skype: philip.odence

Re: BSD-2|3-Clause-Clear typo

Jilayne Lovejoy <jilayne.lovejoy@...>

Good catch, Camille! I have made the change in the master file, but it
may not show up on the website until we push another version. This could
be a few months, as v1.17 was just released. I'll see about making an
incremental change in the meantime...

On 1/24/13 7:07 AM, "Camille Moulin" <camille.moulin@...> wrote:

Hi all,

I think there is a typo on http://spdx.org/licenses/BSD-3-Clause-Clear :
the licence has "BSD-3-Clause-Clear" as ID but "BSD 2-clause "Clear"
License" as full name (also on http://spdx.org/licenses/ ).

Cheers,
Camille

BSD-2|3-Clause-Clear typo

Camille Moulin <camille.moulin@...>

Hi all,

I think there is a typo on http://spdx.org/licenses/BSD-3-Clause-Clear : the licence has "BSD-3-Clause-Clear" as ID but "BSD 2-clause "Clear" License" as full name (also on http://spdx.org/licenses/ ).

Cheers,
Camille

SPDX General Meeting

Philip Odence

When: Occurs every month on the first Thursday of the month from 11:00 AM to 12:00 PM effective 2/7/2013. (UTC-05:00) Eastern Time (US & Canada)
Where: Bridge info enclosed

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*
Please accept so this recurring meeting is on your calendar, however no need to respond.

DIAL IN:
Toll-free dial-in number (U.S. and Canada): (877) 435-0230

Conference code: 7812589502

[...]

SPDX License List v1.17 is live

Jilayne Lovejoy <jilayne.lovejoy@...>

SPDX License List v1.17 is now live here: http://spdx.org/licenses/

The downloadable .zip file containing the spreadsheet (with a column indicating what licenses are new this version) and the .txt files of each license text can be found at the bottom of this page:  http://spdx.org/content/license-list

Thanks,

Jilayne Lovejoy
SPDX Legal Team co-lead

SPDX examples and demo

Mark Gisi

At the Linux Foundation’s Open Compliance Summit last October, we received several requests for SPDX file examples and a demo of SPDX file generation. Here is a web page that makes these resources available:

       http://spdx.windriver.com

To facilitate the adoption of SPDX we hope to add more examples and demos over the coming months.

best,

Mark

Mark Gisi | Wind River | Senior Intellectual Property Manager

Tel (510) 749-2016 | Fax (510) 749-4552

Thursday SPDX General Meeting

Philip Odence

Welcome back to the New Year.

Some special notices:
  • Please check out the minutes of the last meeting. There were some great inputs from Adam Cohen and Mark Gisi's trip to Japan and Jack's trip to Nebraska: http://spdx.org/wiki/20121129-general-meeting-minutes
  • Meeting Scheduling:
    • General Meeting will move to once per month
    • Business and Legal Teams
      • Both looking at rescheduling (although retaining the semi-monthly rhythm)
      • Both will be trying to drive more work to the mailing list, so potentially shorter or fewer meetings in the future
    • We really need someone(s) to help Jack out with administration of the website. Helping will not be a huge time sink, but is sorely needed. Please let me know if you are interested and I'll provide more info.

Meeting Time: Thursday, Jan 10, 8am PST / 10 am CST / 11am EST / 15:00 UTC. http://www.timeanddate.com/worldclock/converter.html

Approve Minutes-

Technical Team Report - Kate

Legal Team Report - Jilayne

Business Team Report – Jack/Scott

Cross Functional Issues – Phil
Website Update – Jack

L. Philip Odence
Vice President of Business Development
Black Duck Software, Inc.
8 New England Executive Park, Suite 211, Burlington MA 01803
Phone: 781.810.1819, Mobile: 781.258.9502
Skype: philip.odence

Re: on the variability of BSD and MIT licenses

dmg

I am not sure what the current procedure is, but yeah, we hope that our
study can help improve the matching of BSDs and MITs.

--dmg

Guillaume> Hi Daniel,
Guillaume> Yes indeed, it looks to be really great regarding SPDX relevance to
Guillaume> adress and describe large scale situation.
Guillaume> I guess you will push some of your recommendation in the Tech/Legal WG
Guillaume> to upgrade
Guillaume> http://spdx.org/wiki/spdx-license-list-match- guidelines ?

Guillaume> Season's greatings.

Guillaume> Guillaume

Guillaume> Le 27/12/12 20:31, D M German a écrit :
>> Hi everybody,
>>
>> This term I taught a course on Intellectual Property and Software
>> Development. the students were expected to conduct some research as part
>> of the evaluation. One of them, Trevor Maryka (who I think is also
>> subscribed to this list) took on the problem of trying to determine how
>> 'variable' are the BSD and the MITs and what this means for their
>> standardization under SPDX. he makes a set of recommendations to SPDX
>> (see section 5). I am attaching his paper. It is, in my opinion, very
>> good news for SPDX.
>>

>> --
>> Daniel M. German "Beauty is the first test; there is no
>> permanent place in the world for ugly
>> G. H. Hardy -> mathematics."
>> http://turingmachine.org/
>> http://silvernegative.com/
>> dmg (at) uvic (dot) ca
>> replace (at) with @ and (dot) with .

Guillaume> --
Guillaume> Guillaume ROUSSEAU
Guillaume> CEO, Co-Founder, Antelink
Guillaume> Président, Cofondateur, Antelink

Guillaume> 18, rue Yves Toudic, 75010, Paris 10ème, France
Guillaume> http://www.antelink.com/
Guillaume> Office : +33 1 42 39 30 78

Guillaume> _______________________________________________
Guillaume> Spdx mailing list
Guillaume> Spdx@...

Daniel M. German "You cannot have the success without
H. G. Hasler -> the failures."
http://turingmachine.org/
http://silvernegative.com/
dmg (at) uvic (dot) ca
replace (at) with @ and (dot) with .

Re: on the variability of BSD and MIT licenses

Philip Odence

Daniel,
Thanks to you and Trevor for contributing.
I agree with Guillaume. This is great discussion for the Legal Team.
Let's remove the general list from the thread. (also, please note that the fossbazaar list you originally used is out of date)
Phil

From: Guillaume Rousseau <guillaume.rousseau@...>
Date: Friday, December 28, 2012 4:30 AM
To: "spdx@..." <spdx@...>
Subject: Re: on the variability of BSD and MIT licenses

Hi Daniel,
Yes indeed, it looks to be  really great regarding SPDX relevance to adress and describe large scale situation.
I guess you will push some of your recommendation in the Tech/Legal WG to upgrade
[...]

Guillaume ROUSSEAU
CEO, Co-Founder, Antelink
Président, Cofondateur, Antelink

18, rue Yves Toudic, 75010, Paris 10ème, France
http://www.antelink.com/
Office : +33 1 42 39 30 78

Re: on the variability of BSD and MIT licenses

guillaume.rousseau@antelink.com

[...]

Slides from the Open Compliance Summit 2012 are now available

Ibrahim Haddad <ibrahim@...>

Thursday Special SPDX General Meeting

Philip Odence

This meeting will feature some valuable input from the field and it may be the last meeting of the year. Please make every effort to join.
Adam Cohn had a great experience at the LF Compliance Summit in Tokyo, talking to a number of interested companies and came back with some great insights. He will be reporting on his visit. And, Jack Manbeck will be talking about his recent trip to U of Nebraska to meet with Matt Germonprez and his team who are doing some cool stuff with FOSSlogy and SPDX.

Meeting Time: Nov 29, 8am PST / 10 am CST / 11am EST / 15:00 UTC. http://www.timeanddate.com/worldclock/converter.html

Approve Minutes-

Input from the Field - Adam and Jack

Technical Team Report - Kate

Legal Team Report - Jilayne

Business Team Report – Jack/Scott
Roadmap

Cross Functional Issues – Phil
Website Update – Jack

L. Philip Odence
Vice President of Business Development
Black Duck Software, Inc.
8 New England Executive Park, Suite 211, Burlington MA 01803
Phone: 781.810.1819, Mobile: 781.258.9502
Skype: philip.odence

Taxonomy to classify types of software licences

stijn.goedertier@...

Hi all,

I would like to bring to your attention that the AMDS.SW Working Group has released 9 software taxonomies  under an open licence with multilingual labels in 7 languages. These taxonomies [3] include:  Licence Type, Intended Audience, Natural Language, Operating System, Programming Language,Status, Topic, User Interface / Graphical Environment, and Publisher Type.

I think especially the Licence Type taxonomy could be of particular interest to the SPDX community. The taxonomies can be viewed on this web page:
https://joinup.ec.europa.eu/svn/adms_foss/amds_sw_taxonomies/ADMS_SW_v1.00_Taxonomies.html
and can be downloaded here:
https://joinup.ec.europa.eu/asset/adms_foss/release/release100

The taxonomies are represented in a machine readable format: the SKOS standard of W3C. The majority of these taxonomies were originally made available in March 2012 by SourceForge under CC BY 3.0 [2]. We hope that the use of common taxonomies to categorise software will contribute to making software better searchable on the Web.

with kind regards,
Stijn

[1]
https://joinup.ec.europa.eu/svn/adms_foss/amds_sw_taxonomies/ADMS_SW_v1.00_Taxonomies.html
[2]
http://sourceforge.net/apps/trac/sourceforge/wiki/Software%20Map%20and%20Trove
[3]
https://joinup.ec.europa.eu/asset/adms_foss/release/release100
[4]
https://joinup.ec.europa.eu/asset/adms_foss/description

*Professional Mail*

*Professional Mail*
This e-mail is intended only for the person to whom it is addressed.
If an addressing or transmission error has misdirected this e-mail,
please notify the author by replying to this e-mail. If you are not
the intended recipient you must not use, disclose, copy, print or
rely on this e-mail.

PwC may monitor outgoing and incoming e-mails and
other telecommunications on its e-mail and telecommunications systems.

SPDX General Meeting Today

Philip Odence

Meeting Time: Nov 15, 8am PST / 10 am CST / 11am EST / 15:00 UTC. http://www.timeanddate.com/worldclock/converter.html

Approve Minutes-