Date

SPDX License List v1.19 is now live!!

Jilayne Lovejoy <lovejoylids@...>

SPDX License List version 1.19 has been released!

The website pages at http://spdx.org/licenses/ has been updated and the download of the SPDX License List can now be found here: http://git.spdx.org/?p=license-list.git;a=summary

Here's a summary of changes over v1.18 (which is also summarized in the last column of the spreadsheet):

- 4 new licenses:
  1. Artistic-1.0-cl8
  2. Artistic-1.0-Perl
  3. IBM-pibs
  4. SISSL-1.2
  5. Unlicense

- 1 license removed:
  1. Ruby  --> in reviewing a newer version of Ruby License (where the notice regarding the disjunctive license choice changed from GPLv2 or Ruby to BSD-2-clause or Ruby) it was noticed there are also variations in the substantive text of the license.  The current situation (with how Ruby is listed on the SPDX License List) means we have text for the older version and link to the current version, which only adds to potential confusion/ambiguity in that people will continue to use that short identifier perhaps incorrectly.  The SPDX Legal Team is researching the variations and communicating with Ruby to come to an accurate way to represent the different license variations. (In other words, Ruby License will be put back on the SPDX License List in the near future, but in a more accurate and complete way than it had been.)

- Differences in Artistic License 1.0 variations accounted for in Notes field
- PHP-3.0 license text updated (was duplicate with PHP-3.01 previously)
- "v1.1" added to full name of SISSL (due to addition of SISSL-1.2)
- W3C - full name corrected

.odt and .xls formats of the SPDX License List spreadsheet are included in the git repo download.

Jilayne Lovejoy
SPDX Legal Team lead

Re: PIBS License Identifier

Wolfgang Denk

Dear Jilayne,

In message <BDE6BBEB-1FDC-4B89-9576-7BDC59BD4577@...> you wrote:

We are adding this license to the about-to-be-released version 1.19 of
the SPDX License LIst and I had a couple things I wanted to share with
you.
Thanks - much appreciated.

1) it was suggested to use the short identifier: "ibm-pibs" - do you
have any objection to "IBM-pibs"? The reason being that all other SPDX
License List short identifiers tend towards using capital letters unless
spelling a word. I'd prefer to be consistent to this end, but it's not
a major sticking point either way (in other words, if you are already
using the all-lower-case short identifier, I don't see why we can't
adopt that to the SPDX License List - if anyone on the Legal Team
disagrees with me, please speak up)
I like consistency, too, so please feel free to use "IBM-pibs".
the necessary change to the U_boot code is trivial, and was expected,
as I was aware that I was using an self-made name. So no objections
from my side.

2) in regards to the two different copyright dates you mentioned below
(2002 and 1995) - I have compared the actual text of the 2002 version
you listed in this email and the 1995 version you provided links to in a
subsequent email and the only difference is the date itself. In this
case, the SPDX License List matching guidelines would equate these two
license as the same, as this is only a copyright notice year difference,
not a difference in the substantive text of the license.
Agreed. I think I could find some more versions of this license if I
dig deeper in our old code archives, but those I've seen so far all
differ in the date only. So your suggestion makes perfect sense.

If you could get back to me as to the first item as soon as possible,
that would be great.
Thanks for your help with that!

Best regards,

Wolfgang Denk

--
DENX Software Engineering GmbH, MD: Wolfgang Denk & Detlev Zundel
Phone: (+49)-8142-66989-10 Fax: (+49)-8142-66989-80 Email: wd@...

Re: PIBS License Identifier

Jilayne Lovejoy <lovejoylids@...>

Hello Wolfgang,

[...]

Cheers,

Jilayne Lovejoy
SPDX Legal Team lead

On Jul 28, 2013, at 8:23 AM, Wolfgang Denk <wd@...> wrote:

Hello,

IBM has published several versions of their PIBS (PowerPC
Initialization and Boot Software) boot loader source code with a
license header like this:

---------- snip ----------
This source code has been made available to you by IBM on an AS-IS
basis. Anyone receiving this source is licensed under IBM
copyrights to use it in any way he or she deems fit, including
copying it, modifying it, compiling it, and redistributing it either
with or without modifications. No license under IBM patents or
patent applications is to be implied by the copyright license.

Any user of this software should understand that IBM cannot provide
technical support for this software and will not be responsible for
any consequences resulting from the use of this software.

Any person who transfers this source code or any derivative work
must include the IBM copyright notice, this paragraph, and the
preceding two paragraphs in the transferred software.

COPYRIGHT I B M CORPORATION 2002
LICENSED MATERIAL - PROGRAM PROPERTY OF I B M
---------- snip ----------

I have another version of this license text dated 1995.

Has any of these been evaluated before? I can't find a SPDX License
Identifier for this?

Thanks in advance.

Best regards,

Wolfgang Denk

--
DENX Software Engineering GmbH, MD: Wolfgang Denk & Detlev Zundel
Phone: (+49)-8142-66989-10 Fax: (+49)-8142-66989-80 Email: wd@...

Re: New Person Questions

Gary O'Neall

Hi David,

As Mark mentioned, 1.2 is still under development.  The current schedule has the spec being release within the next 2 weeks.  The SPDX tools typically follow within a week.

I’ll take care of update the version number of the tag to RDF tools (your #1 below).  Thanks for pointing that out.

Feel free to report any problems or suggest any improvements in the tools through bugs.linuxfoundation.com, the spdx-tech mailing list, or emailing me.