Date

SPDX General Meeting Thursday

Philip Odence

If you are planning to be at LinuxCon NA and have not let me know, please do so.
Thanks.

GENERAL MEETING

Meeting Time: Thurs, July 3, 8am PDT / 10 am CDT / 11am EDT / 15:00 UTC. http://www.timeanddate.com/worldclock/converter.html

Technical Team Report - Kate

Legal Team Report - Jilayne

Business Team Report – Jack

Cross Functional Issues – Phil

L. Philip Odence
Vice President and General Manager
Black Duck
8 New England Executive Park, Suite 211, Burlington MA 01803
Phone: 781.810.1819, Mobile: 781.258.9502
Skype: philip.odence

Re: CDDL-1.0 broken link

Philip Odence

And, by the way, this is some of the value of the SPDX license list. When
other URLs change or go away, you can still find the license at the
permanent SPDX URL.

Vice President and General Manager
Black Duck
8 New England Executive Park, Suite 211, Burlington MA 01803
Phone: 781.810.1819, Mobile: 781.258.9502
Skype: philip.odence
podence@...
http://www.blackducksoftware.com <http://www.blackducksoftware.com/>
http://twitter.com/podence
http://www.linkedin.com/in/podence

On 7/30/14, 7:08 AM, "J Lovejoy" <opensource@...> wrote:

Hi Vlada,

The SPDX-Legal team mailing list would be the exact proper place to
report anything having to do with the SPDX License List, but this will do
too!

The links in the url/source field on the SPDX License List do tend to
change from time to time and we try to keep them active, but staying on
top of that is not always entirely possible. For this particular
license, there is always the active link to the OSI site, so we can
probably remove the first link, since, as you point out, it no longer
takes one to the license.

SPDX Legal Team co-lead
opensource@...

On Jul 30, 2014, at 4:21 AM, Vladimír Čunát <vcunat@...> wrote:

Hi,

(I'm not sure this is the proper place to report; please, CC me in the
answers.)

the first link in http://spdx.org/licenses/CDDL-1.0 is broken, and it
looks like a permanent breakage.

Vlada

Re: CDDL-1.0 broken link

J Lovejoy

[...]

CDDL-1.0 broken link

Vladimír Čunát <vcunat@...>

Hi,

(I'm not sure this is the proper place to report; please, CC me in the answers.)

the first link in http://spdx.org/licenses/CDDL-1.0 is broken, and it looks like a permanent breakage.

Vlada

July General Meeting Minutes & IMPORTANT QUESTION

Philip Odence

Please reply (not Reply All) and let me know if you are attending or may be attending LinuxCon.
We will have a ~half day face to face meeting, still zeroing in on Wed or Thursday, and want to make sure we have a sense for who will be there.

General Meeting/Minutes/2014-07-03

  • Attendance: 8
  • Lead by Phil Odence
  • Minutes of June meeting approved

Biz Team Report - Jack

  • Still working on University participation
  • Still working on white papers
  • Website
    • What would you like to do with SPDX today website
    • Help wanted section
    • Wiki Meeting minutes summary pages- will file bug report
    • No update on website statistics
  • Still need to pick a date for the face to face at LinuxCon

Legal Team Report - Jilayne

  • Based on 2.0 being release being pushed to LC Europe
    • Decided to do interim LL is release
    • 80 new licenses
  • Exceptions will wait for 2.0
  • Make splash on SPDX list
    • Exploring announcemtn about Fedora list harmonization
  • Paul has taken a pass 2.0 changes for Website

Tech Team Report - Kate (wrote in)

  • work continues on spec. Have resolved the file types, file usage portions
    • Can describe how a file is used (Static/dynamic)
    • And file type
  • decision made to not include the RDF vocabulary in the SPEC going forward, Gary was having issues regenerating it in form suitable for inclusion, and prefers to go with a different tool in future. Spec will be the master and refer to a static version, that will be on web site.
    • SPDX.org/RDFterms
    • Previously copied into appendix
    • So will just link to from spec, remove appendix
    • RDF terms and licenses pages can’t change.
    • Jack will create wikipage that has ground rules for changing the website.

Cross Functional Issues – Phil

  • Working with Apache
    • Gary developed a Maven plugin to auto-generate an SPDX file
    • Getting some help from ASF members, but not a lot of pull
    • Now looking to attached to another group within Maven

Attendees

  • Phil Odence, Black Duck
  • Scott Sterling, Palamida
  • Jilanyne Lovejoy, ARM
  • Jack Manbeck, TI
  • Paul Madick, HP
  • Tom Incorvia, Microfocus
  • Gary O'Neall, Source Auditor
  • Pierre LaPonte, nexB

Re: Thursday SPDX General Meeting Reminder [license list info]

J Lovejoy

Hi Oliver,

Indeed, Phil is right - all are welcome!

In addition to the link Phil included below, there is also this page explaining when/how the license list inclusion guidelines came about: http://wiki.spdx.org/view/Legal_Team/Decisions/Inclusion_Guidelines_(Background)

We also started tracking the status of requests around the same time, which is on the wiki here: http://wiki.spdx.org/view/Legal_Team/Decisions/Inclusion_Guidelines_(Background)
Any discussion around a decision would be recorded in the relevant meeting minutes, but the best way to participate is of course to join the meetings, as meeting minutes often summarize any discussion.

SPDX Legal Team co-lead
opensource@...

On Jul 7, 2014, at 2:08 PM, Philip Odence <podence@...> wrote:

Oliver,
There are a number of people on the Legal Team who are not lawyers. We would welcome your participation.

From: "Fendt, Oliver" <oliver.fendt@...>
Date: Mon, 7 Jul 2014 10:27:21 +0000
To: Phil Odence <podence@...>, Kate Stewart <kate.stewart@...>, "spdx@..." <spdx@...>
Subject: AW: AW: Thursday SPDX General Meeting Reminder

Hi Phil,

thanks that would really help.
If it is not a requirement to be a lawyer, then I will be happy to participate in the legal team, as well as in the technical team.
You are right the time is sometimes a problem but also I understand your restrictions.

Best regards

Oliver

Oliver Fendt

Siemens AG
Corporate Technology
CT BE OP SWI OSS
Otto-Hahn-Ring 6
81739 München, Deutschland
From: "Fendt, Oliver" <oliver.fendt@...>
Date: Fri, 4 Jul 2014 08:26:25 +0000
To: Kate Stewart <kate.stewart@...>, Phil Odence <podence@...>, "spdx@..." <spdx@...>
Subject: AW: Thursday SPDX General Meeting Reminder

Hi all,
sorry for not being able to participate yesterday in the conf call.
I want to comment on one topic of the last minutes. The topic is:
o             Mikael delivered a workshop at Siemens
They didn't understand license request process
Mikael encouraged them to participate in SPDX  “

I want to thank Mikael for the presentation. He did a very well job and gave us an interesting talk although he had a flue.
In the Q&A part of his talk, I raised the point that at least for me the criteria a license has to fulfill to be accepted for inclusion in the SPDX® license list is not really transparent to me.
In the past I submitted several licenses, some were accepted and some not. That’s totally ok but and the reasons for not accepting those were not transparent to me, like “this is not really an Open Source license” although already some creative commons license instances are in the SPDX license list which are not compliant to the open source definition as well. Another license was not accepted because it has no version number.
When I raised the point to  Mikael I wanted to express that the process for submission is quite clear and we understand it, because it is well described. But it is not described what criteria are checked by the team in charge in order to decide whether the license will be included or not. It would really help (at least me) if these criteria are described because this would help me to save effort and submit in future only those which will meet al criteria.
I hope that the topic of the minutes is bit more clear now

regards
Oliver

Siemens AG
Corporate Technology
CT BE OP SWI OSS
Otto-Hahn-Ring 6
81739 München, Deutschland

kate.stewart@...

[...]

SPDX General Meeting Reminder. Toda

Philip Odence

Sorry for the late reminder.

GENERAL MEETING

Meeting Time: Thurs, June 5, 8am PDT / 10 am CDT / 11am EDT / 15:00 UTC. http://www.timeanddate.com/worldclock/converter.html

Approve Minutes- Attached below

From: Phil Odence <podence@...>
Date: Tue, 13 May 2014 10:33:16 -0400
To: <spdx@...>
Subject: Minutes from May General Meeting

Next meeting is June 5 at the normal time. (11EDT)

General Meeting/Minutes/2014-05-01

  • Attendance: 9
  • Minutes of April meeting not yet complete/approved
  • Lead by Phil Odence

Tech Team Report - Kate

  • Following up on discussions from CollabSummit
    • Clarifying relationships between elements
    • Working big list
      • Includes features
      • Making sure everything designated for 2.0 is covered.
  • Still on track for LinuxCon

Biz Team Report - Jack (unable to attend, but provided written summary)

  • Focus on LinuxCon(s) and 2.0 Promotion
    • Aiming to support 2.0 announcement at LinuxCon NA
      • Phil/Jack and Gary/Jilayne submitting talks. Not sure of others.
    • Out reach through presentations, BoF, etc at LinuxCon Europe
  • Promoting 2 SPDX Reports to spdx.org
    • 2.0 Requirements Doc (Kirsten's)
    • Accessing the License List (Gary's)
  • Mikael will be presenting on SPDX at the GENIVI (automotive OSS community) All Members Meeting in Europe
  • Whitepapers are in process on automotive and embedded

Legal Team Report - Jilayne

  • License Expression Language went our for comment; a few received and incorporate, so it's final.
    • Templates and guidelines need to be updated to reflect
    • Exceptions list work is in process
    • In process of review spec to incorporate references to LL
  • Fedora list work continues and a special meeting is scheduled to target
  • Next License List release will be coincident with 2.0

Cross Functional Issues – Phil

  • Google Summer of Code
    • 4 project accepted
    • Phil working with Matt/Linux Foundation to promote via blogs
    • Biz team is updating the wiki and website with info (and a University participation section).

Attendees

  • Phil Odence, Black Duck
  • Scott Sterling, Palamida
  • Kirsten Newcomer, Black Duck
  • Jilanyne Lovejoy, ARM
  • Mark Gisi, Wind River
  • Matt Germonprez, UNO
  • Jack Manbeck, TI
  • Kate Stewart, Lenaro
  • Paul Madick, HP

Minutes from May General Meeting

Philip Odence

[...]

Re: Help converting Fedora license IDs to SPDX format

J Lovejoy

Hi Richard (x2)!

Richard H - great to hear you are using the SPDX License List for identifying licenses in AppStream for a number of reasons. Your responses below are all correct in terms of understanding the SPDX License List, so I’ll only add a bit more info in regards to the issues you have come across.

As Phil mentioned in his response, the SPDX legal team is currently working through the Fedora Good License list (https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Licensing:Main?rd=Licensing#Good_Licenses) in order to identify where the SPDX License List is missing a license that is on the Fedora list. The inclination is to add any such licenses and try to align the SPDX short identifier with whatever Fedora had been using. However, for the reasons you and Richard F identified (e.g. I’ll call it the “MIT bucket,” identifying that Fedora uses to describe similar licenses) not all the short identifiers will align. I suspect we will end up with a “equivalency” document as part of the SPDX License List reference materials, for convenience. In any case, the next release of the SPDX License List is currently schedule to coincide with the release of 2.0 of the spec, so at that point you will see many additions to this end.

In regards to the exceptions, this is also something we are currently working on. As of 2.0, license exceptions will be treated as a modifier to the base license to better enable capturing the various exceptions that exist in the wild. An explanation of this change, as well as the bigger picture in regards to creating a better way to express complex licensing info for files was recently summarized here: http://article.gmane.org/gmane.comp.licenses.spdx.legal/855/match=expression

<<I have responded to both the general and legal mailing lists here, but subsequent discussion should move to the legal list only, where it will get more direct responses/discussion :)

SPDX Legal Team co-lead
opensource@...

On May 2, 2014, at 8:03 AM, Richard Hughes <hughsient@...> wrote:

On 2 May 2014 14:41, Richard Fontana <rfontana@...> wrote:
Also (based on what little documentation on AppStream that I looked at) it is unclear what the purposes are in the case of AppStream.
So, for AppStream the idea is to explain the licenses in the
user-facing software center, e.g. gnome-software or apper for KDE.
This would mean you could click on a link that says "GPLv3+" and get
sent to http://spdx.org/licenses/GPL-3.0+ rather than just having a
license string to look at and perhaps Google.

My knowledge of SPDX itself is limited, but if you look at:
http://spdx.org/spdx-license-list/matching-guidelines you will see
that SPDX is using license identifiers in an entirely different way
from how Fedora uses RPM metadata license identifiers.
Right. The idea is that you can define "upstream" what licenses your
software is using, rather than relying on the packager to work it out
and apply broad classification during the packaging step. I'm really
only doing this for applications not explicitly specifying what SPDX
licences they are using.

A good example, though not on your list probably because you assume it
is not problematic, is "MIT". For SPDX, this means
http://spdx.org/licenses/MIT#licenseText subject to the points made in
the SPDX matching guidelines.
Right.

For Fedora, however, "MIT" is supposed
to mean a wide range of different license texts (which SPDX would
surely treat as distinct, non-matching licenses) that were determined
by the Fedora Project to be what I myself might verbosely call "X
Window Project-descended license family licenses, particularly as
distinguished from BSD-family licenses" if I had to call it anything.
Yes, this is the fudge-factor I was talking about. Ideally we would
have all these MIT-variants as separate SPDX license IDs.

So for the ones you list, first of all for most of these there isn't
any SPDX license identifier anyway even if you ignore the issue I just
talked about, since the SPDX list is, at least at present, not meant
to be a comprehensive list of all licenses ever encountered in, say, a
conventional Linux distribution, but rather those that are "commonly
found". In your list, none of those are "commonly found" in that sense
except that the AGPLv3 part of "AGPLv3 with exceptions" is *likely* to
correspond to SPDX AGPL-3.0, but not the "with exceptions" part which
has no SPDX license identifier counterpart.
Right.

(By contrast there are
some GPLv2 and GPLv3 SPDX license identifiers that include some
commonly-found permissive exceptions.)
Agreed, I didn't know whether the "with exceptions" AGPL thing
could/should be broken down any further for SPDX.

This is what Fedora "MIT" means some of the time but not all
of the time.
Yes, it's not ideal at all, but the data I'm presenting is more of an
interesting titbit of information about the application rather than a
comprehensive legal explanation. Apps are still free to specify a
special license ID of "libtiff with extensions" but it just won't be
hyperlinked in the front end tool.

Richard

Re: Help converting Fedora license IDs to SPDX format

Richard Hughes

[...]

Richard Fontana

On Fri, May 02, 2014 at 12:53:30PM +0100, Richard Hughes wrote:
Hi all,

I hope I'm asking in the right place, if not please disregard this
message. When writing AppStream metadata I'm required to convert the
existing Fedora license tag to an SPDX-compatible string so it can be
made into a hyperlink and be clickable. Most license IDs are either
the same, or map between one and the other with a small fudge factor,
but I'm having problems finding SPDX licences for a few Fedora IDs.

The fedora license ID's that probably should map to something (ideas welcome!):

* Afmparse
* AGPLv3 with exceptions
* AGPLv3+ with exceptions
* libtiff
* mecab-ipadic
* Mup
* OpenPBS
* softSurfer
* Teeworlds
* TORQUEv1.1
* UCD
* Vim
* XSkat
* Baekmuk
* Bitstream Vera
* Crystal Stacker
* Liberation
* MgOpen
* mplus

There are a few things that don't make sense, e.g.
* Public Domain
* Copyright only
* Freely redistributable without restriction
* Redistributable, no modification permitted

If anyone knows of any existing SPDX IDs suitable for any of the
above, I'd be very grateful. Thanks.
I think the problem is that you are dealing with three different
notions of license identifiers, two of which are superficially the
same in that AppStream has decided to use SPDX identifiers for its own
purposes, if I understand correctly. Also (based on what little
documentation on AppStream that I looked at) it is unclear what the
purposes are in the case of AppStream.

My knowledge of SPDX itself is limited, but if you look at:
http://spdx.org/spdx-license-list/matching-guidelines you will see
that SPDX is using license identifiers in an entirely different way
from how Fedora uses RPM metadata license identifiers.

A good example, though not on your list probably because you assume it
is not problematic, is "MIT". For SPDX, this means
http://spdx.org/licenses/MIT#licenseText subject to the points made in
the SPDX matching guidelines. For Fedora, however, "MIT" is supposed
[...]

has no SPDX license identifier counterpart. (By contrast there are
some GPLv2 and GPLv3 SPDX license identifiers that include some
commonly-found permissive exceptions.)

So when you say "I'm required to convert the existing Fedora license
tag to an SPDX-compatible string so it can be made into a hyperlink
and be clickable", this is only meaningful if what you mean by "Most
license IDs are either the same, or map between one and the other with
a small fudge factor" is understood with my point about, e.g. the
significant distinction between SPDX "MIT" and Fedora "MIT" in
mind. And what would "MIT" hyperlink to -- the OSI version of the MIT
license? This is what Fedora "MIT" means some of the time but not all
of the time.

- Richard

Re: Help converting Fedora license IDs to SPDX format

Philip Odence

Richard,
I¹m moving you from the general SPDX list to the legal team. We are
actually in the middle of marching through the Fedora licenses and are
happy to work with you on this. You should be hearing shortly from someone
on our legal team.
Best,
Phil Odence
SPDX Chair

On 5/2/14, 7:53 AM, "Richard Hughes" <hughsient@...> wrote:

[...]

REMINDER – Call for talks
Although LinuxCon NA is a few months off (Chicago, Aug 20) we are just one week from the deadline for submitting talks (May 2). “SPDX” is specifically mentioned under suggested topics, and we would love to get a few submissions. Jack tapped me to co-submit an update on SPDX 2.0 and we are talking about doing a hands on session with tools, but there’s certainly room for other topics. In particular, it would be interesting to get some talks on usage. The crowd would be really interested to understand what you are doing in your company with SPDX.  If you don’t feel you have a full 40 minutes worth but would like to talk, let me and Jack know and perhaps we can pull together 3 or 4 mini presentations.

Here’s the link for submitting:

GENERAL MEETING

Meeting Time: Thurs, May 1, 8am PDT / 10 am CDT / 11am EDT / 15:00 UTC. http://www.timeanddate.com/worldclock/converter.html

Approve Minutes- Note, minutes have not yet been posted.

Technical Team Report - Kate

Legal Team Report - Jilayne

Business Team Report – Jack

Cross Functional Issues – Phil