Date

Re: SPDX General Meeting Thursday

Jeremiah Foster <jeremiah.foster@...>

Hi,

I would love to hear about SPDX 2 integrated into yocto or Open Embedded if someone has done that.

Regards,

Jeremiah

On Jul 1, 2015 2:09 PM, "Philip Odence" <podence@...> wrote:
I’m trying to spice up every General Meeting with a speaker talking about a special topic, usually their organizations’ use of SPDX or work related to. If you have any ideas for future presentations, PLEASE contact me. I assure you that even the simplest adoption story if of great interest.

This month, Matt Germonprez will provide an update on the Univ of Nebraska/Omaha’s work with SPDX.

GENERAL MEETING

Meeting Time: Thurs, July 2, 8am PDT / 10 am CDT / 11am EDT / 15:00 UTC. http://www.timeanddate.com/worldclock/converter.html

Presentation – Matt

Technical Team Report - Kate

Legal Team Report - Jilayne

Business Team Report – Jack

Cross Functional Issues – Phil

SPDX General Meeting Thursday

Philip Odence

I’m trying to spice up every General Meeting with a speaker talking about a special topic, usually their organizations’ use of SPDX or work related to. If you have any ideas for future presentations, PLEASE contact me. I assure you that even the simplest adoption story if of great interest.

This month, Matt Germonprez will provide an update on the Univ of Nebraska/Omaha’s work with SPDX.

GENERAL MEETING

Meeting Time: Thurs, July 2, 8am PDT / 10 am CDT / 11am EDT / 15:00 UTC. http://www.timeanddate.com/worldclock/converter.html

Presentation – Matt

Technical Team Report - Kate

Legal Team Report - Jilayne

Business Team Report – Jack

Cross Functional Issues – Phil

Re: Zero Clause BSD (0BSD)

J Lovejoy

Hi Rob,

Thanks for you email. To request a new license be added to the SPDX License List, you need to provide the info listed on this page (most of which you already have) http://spdx.org/spdx-license-list/request-new-license and send it to the SPDX-Legal mailing list. If you are not a member there, you can join the legal mailing list here: http://spdx.org/participate/legal-team

SPDX Legal Team co-lead

On Jun 12, 2015, at 1:01 PM, Rob Landley <rob@...> wrote:

I'm told I should contact you about registering Toybox's "zero clause
bsd" license for an official 0BSD acronym/abbreviation.

The license text itself (paragraphs 2 and 3 here):

https://github.com/landley/toybox/blob/master/LICENSE

Is 2 clause BSD with the removal of half a sentence:

https://github.com/landley/toybox/commit/ee86b1d8e25cb0ca9d418b33eb0dc5e7716ddc1e

This simplification makes the license function as a public domain
license (such as unlicense.org or creative commons zero), specifically
it means that combining works from multiple sources allows the license
text to collapse together, so you don't wind up with nonsense such as
Android's dozens of concatenated license copies for toolbox:

https://github.com/android/platform_system_core/blob/master/toolbox/NOTICE

(I asked why they had multiple copies of _identical_ license text, and
they said the copyright dates had changed so a strict reading of the
"copy exactly" part of the license meant... Don't laugh, the
"about->license" pulldown in the kindle paperwhite has over _300_pages_
of this nonsense. It's a chronic issue with bsd-alikes.)

So yeah, zero clause BSD. In toybox. Is there a form I should fill out?

Rob

Zero Clause BSD (0BSD)

Rob Landley <rob@...>

[...]

Re: Exclusion of NONE and NOASSERTION from ABNF

Mark Gisi

Hi Terin,

On the surface the following appears to be syntactically convenient:
license-expression = 1*1(simple-expression / compound-expression / "NONE" / "NOASSERTION")

but semantically incorrect. Let me try to explain using a database data field analogy.

NONE and NOASSERTION are defined at the SPDX document field level and even have different semantic values with respect to different fields. SPDX fields can have several different types assigned which is analogous to a database field. For example, a database field may contain values of *type* Character, Integer, Float, Boolean, Date and so forth. A database field can also contain the special value NULL, which does not belong to a specific data type, but instead represents a special field value (NULL = missing unknown data). NONE and NOASSERTION are analogous to NULL, where a license expression is analogous to a type such as Character, Integer, Float, Boolean, Date and so forth.

A license expression represents the licensing terms of a piece of software (source or binary). In less precise terms, it represents the distribution obligations for a software component. NONE and NOASSERTION do not semantically represent that. To include NONE and NOASSERTION as validate license expressions is analogous to adding NULL to a database type which would be semantically awkward.

In summary, on the surface the following appear syntactically convenient:
license-expression = 1*1(simple-expression / compound-expression / "NONE" / "NOASSERTION")

But semantically it is not correct, and therefore, NONE or NOASSERTION should not be included in the ABNF definition for a license expression.

At least that is one perspective.

Best,
- Mark

Mark Gisi | Wind River | Director, IP & Open Source
Tel (510) 749-2016 | Fax (510) 749-4552

From: Phil Odence <podence@...>
Date: Wednesday, March 4, 2015 at 3:01 PM
To: "spdx@..." <spdx@...>, "spdx-legal@..." <spdx-legal@...>, "spdx-biz@..." <spdx-biz@...>, "spdx-tech@..." <spdx-tech@...>
Subject: Rescheduling important SPDX General Meeting

The Feb 5 meeting will be postponed 1 week to Thurs. Feb 12. (outside US, note that US will be on daylight savings time next week so the call will be an hour off of normal for you).

The main thrust of the call will be to answer questions about the SPDX 2.0 Spec. We’ll do a very compressed version of the team updates and spend most of the time discussing questions about the new spec and the license list (which has also gone through significant change).

IMPORTANT: See the instructions below the meeting agenda and the attached copy of the spec, and please take time to review the spec in advance of the meeting.

Lastly, unfortunately, I have a conflict, so Kate will chair.

****************

GENERAL MEETING

Meeting Time: Thurs, Feb12, 8am PDT / 10 am CDT / 11am EDT / 15:00 UTC. http://www.timeanddate.com/worldclock/converter.html

Technical Team Report - Kate

Legal Team Report - Jilayne

Business Team Report – Jack

Cross Functional Issues – 2.0 Spec and License List Review - Kate

********

Greetings SPDX Community,

We are pleased to announce that the penultimate version of the SPDX 2.0 Specification and the new  SPDX License List are ready for community review.  With 2.0 there have been great strides forwards in the expressiveness of an SPDX document through relationships and the license expression syntax.

There will be a general question and answer session on these at the March 12th General Meeting.   Any comments regarding the material below should be submitted no later than March 23rd as directed below. We are hoping to finalize the material and officially release it at the April 2nd General Meeting. This should allow you plenty of time to do a thorough review.

Background Information

---------------------------------

For an overview of the  2.0 requirements you may read this http://wiki.spdx.org/images/SPDX-TR-2014-3.v1.0.pdf

The Use Cases are documented on the Technical team wiki athttp://wiki.spdx.org/view/Technical_Team/Use_Cases/2.0

For a presentation given at LinuxCollab in February 2015 on changes to the specification go here. It’s a nice overview.

http://spdx.org/sites/spdx/files/publications/SPDX%202.0%20Collab%202015%20Presentation.pptx

Specification Review Material

------------------------------------

SPDX 2.0 Specification, dated 20150303 is attached to this email as a PDF for your convenience.     The same file is also available athttp://wiki.spdx.org/view/Technical_Team/SPDX_Specification_Versions

as SPDX-2.0rc3.pdf

The technical team would prefer comments were made in the google doc located athttps://docs.google.com/a/linaro.org/document/d/1wE_zvLU4c291ACi9wIJmQoE4ltKRW4rzM1TYiIvEVOs/edit#heading=h.x7jjfaxtluz1.

The schema for the RDF can be found athttp://spdx.org/rdf/ontology/spdx-2-0-rev-12/ .

The model diagram can be found at  http://wiki.spdx.org/view/Technical_Team/Model_2_0. The model is a great way to see how all the old and new pieces fit together.

Tools

-------

The tools for the 2.0 Specification are located in the SPDX GIT repository.

To try them, you will need to download the source and build them.  You can access the repository here:http://git.spdx.org/?p=spdx-tools.git;a=snapshot;h=refs/heads/develop;sf=tgz

Instructions on building the tools can be found in the README.md file in the root directory of the source tree here: http://git.spdx.org/?p=spdx-tools.git;a=blob_plain;f=README.md;hb=5efe1f1e4727d7d7be48488225b68c65e71b84b9and here: http://spdx.org/publications/tool-documentation/how-to-use-the-software-package-document-exchange-spdx-tools

SPDX License List

-------------------------

The SPDX License List v2.0-rc3 and  can be reviewed at http://spdx.org/licenses/preview/ .  Due to the adoption of the License Expression Syntax, license exceptions have their own sub-list and some licenses have been deprecated.  Information for all of this can be linked to from this page.

The master files for the license list can be found here:  http://git.spdx.org/?p=license-list.git;a=summary

General information about the SPDX License List can be found here: http://spdx.org/spdx-license-list/license-list-overview

The Matching Guidelines can be found here:http://spdx.org/spdx-license-list/matching-guidelines

Feedback is welcome and can be sent to: spdx-legal@...  . You will need to be a member of the list to send an email.

Best regards,

SPDX Technical, Legal and Business Teams

[...]

Meeting minutes below.

Also, here’s information on SPDX participation at CollabSummit. Big thanks to Jack for pulling it all together.

L. Philip Odence
General Manager Audit Services
Vice President of Corporate and Business Development
Black Duck Software, Inc.
8 New England Executive Park, Suite 211, Burlington MA 01803
Phone: 781.810.1819, Mobile: 781.258.9502
Skype: philip.odence

General Meeting/Minutes/2015-02-05

  • Attendance: 5
  • Lead by Phil Odence
  • Minutes of January meeting approved

Biz Team Report - Jack[edit]

  • Collab Summit
    • Agenda set
    • Tech Team will meet on Wed
    • Friday afternoon meeting
    • Jack will post
  • Looking like 2.0 spec won’t be finalized
    • Likely to be the subject for Friday afternoon
  • Starting to gear up for another Google Summer of Code

Tech Team Report - Jack[edit]

  • Some delay in finalizing due to last minute issues arising
  • Has gotten very good detailed review by Tech Team
  • 2.0 will go out for community review prior to Collab

Legal Team Report - Jilayne[edit]

  • Beta LL list posted, feedback welcome

Cross Functional Topics - Phil[edit]

  • Future Presentations for General Meeting
    • TI would be happy to after Collab
    • Would love to get other companies to share

Attendees[edit]

  • Phil Odence, Black Duck
  • Jack Manbeck, TI
  • Hassib Khanafer, Protecode
  • Pierre LaPointe, nexB
  • Kirsten Newcomer, Black Duck

Minutes from January SPDX General Meeting

Philip Odence

Again, thanks to Bruno Grasset from Valeo for a great presentation.
Hope to see everyone at CollabSummit. Time to make your plans.

MINUTES

General Meeting/Minutes/2015-01-08

  • Attendance: 6
  • Lead by Phil Odence
  • Minutes of December meeting approved

Cross Functional Issues – Phil[edit]

  • Great Presentation from Bruno Grasset
  • He opened and closed with thanks to everyone involved with SPDX for providing something so useful to the industry
    • Valeo
      • Supplier to Automotive Industry- Autonomous Cars, Connected Car, Intuitive Control
      • Middle of complex supply chain
    • Why they think SPDX is important
      • Industry is “likes” standards, procedures, rules
      • Have an explicit program to ensure respecting licenses and meeting obligations in all products
      • Bruno is in charge of OSS compliance
    • How they use
      • License List
        • Internal policy started with the SPDX list
        • They use the SPDX license IDs in all of their documents and databases (including promoting publicly)
        • And they check any licenses anyone supplies against our standard text
      • Document Spec
        • Prototyped use internally
        • Have been looking for hierarchy, so 2.0 is important; evaluating in 2015
    • Future Intent
      • Large OEMs (car companies) are starting to require
      • Customer requirements are making this a priority in 2015
      • Will need to require from their own suppliers
      • Integration with Yocto is critical
      • Aiming for chain of trust, based on SPDX
    • Questions
      • When you evaluated SPDX, any features beyond hierarchy that they require?
        • Not yet mature enough to completely evaluate
      • How did you hear of? How can we promote?
        • LinuxCon Europe session- Bruno came then promoted internally.
        • He expects that in his space that SPDX will catch on quickly because of car makers requirements
      • SPDX and Yocto- Is there only interest in Yocto integration or more general integration?
        • Broader interest in integrating into process

General Status - Phil[edit]

  • On track for 2.0 release at CollabSummit
  • Jack has been working hard to get a good agenda together
  • We will be sharing a room with OpenChain so that folks can participate in both
  • Looking forward to seeing everyone

Attendees[edit]

  • Phil Odence, Black Duck
  • Kirsten Newcomer, Black Duck