Date

Re: call in about an hour :)

J Lovejoy

Thanks for the update, Tom, and for updating your email address on the mailing lists :)

Congrats!

Jilayne

SPDX Legal Team co-lead
opensource@...

On Jul 7, 2016, at 11:53 AM, Vidal, Thomas <TVidal@...> wrote:

Hi, Just wanted to update you all that my last day at AGMB is tomorrow. As of next week, I will be a partner in the firm of Pryor Cashman LLP<http://www.pryorcashman.com/>. The SPDX-legal list, you will be happy to note, has already been updated.

Thomas H. Vidal

Pryor Cashman LLP

1801 Century Park East<x-apple-data-detectors://2/1>

Los Angeles, CA 90067<x-apple-data-detectors://2/1>

tvidal@...<mailto:tvidal@...>

tel. (310) 556-9608<tel:(310)%20556-9608>

fax. (310) 556-9670<tel:(310)%20556-9670>

Sincerely,

Tom

On Jul 7, 2016, at 9:09 AM, J Lovejoy <opensource@...<mailto:opensource@...>> wrote:

Agenda:

1) check in on XML files review / go over any questions that have come up

2) discuss other tasks related to switch to XML format, such as:
- license exceptions (still need to be added to XML format?)
- how to deal with deprecated licenses?
- process flow for new license list format

3) any other open items?

Jilayne
SPDX Legal Team co-lead
opensource@...<mailto:opensource@...>

________________________________

***CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE***
This email contains confidential information which may also be legally privileged and which is intended only for the use of the recipient(s) named above. If you are not the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that forwarding or copying of this email, or the taking of any action in reliance on its contents, may be strictly prohibited. If you have received this email in error, please notify us immediately by reply email and delete this message from your inbox.

Re: call in about an hour :)

Tom Vidal

Hi, I didn't mention this on the call, but I wanted to update you all that my last day at AGMB is tomorrow. As of next week, I will be a partner in the firm of Pryor Cashman LLP<http://www.pryorcashman.com/>. The SPDX-legal list, you will be happy to note, has already been updated.

Thomas H. Vidal

Pryor Cashman LLP

1801 Century Park East

Los Angeles, CA 90067

tvidal@...<mailto:tvidal@...>

tel. (310) 556-9608

fax. (310) 556-9670

[...]

SPDX July General Meeting Minutes

Philip Odence

General Meeting/Minutes/2016-07-07

  • Attendance: 13
  • Lead by Phil Odence
  • Minutes of June meeting approved

Special Guest - Sam Ellis, ARM[edit]

  • Sam works in ARM’s Cambridge HQ
    • SW Engineer/Mgr
    • No legal training
    • Has gotten involved just as part as his job
    • Now acts as bridge between dev and legal teams
  • They use a license scanning tool
    • That’s the implementation of SPDX
    • Keen on the license list for name consistency
    • And using SPDX basis of repository of data about open source in products
  • Dev process
    • Similar to most
    • Are careful to separate out open source archive
      • Basis of license scanning
      • Develop an SPDX tag format report for each product
  • Legal Approval Process
    • They use a custom tool internally
    • When open source comes into the company, they assess risk
    • Recently put a new system in place
      • Asks the type of questions that SPDX captures
        • Package name, licenses, copyright notices, where downloaded, etc.
      • Goal is to to eventually import/export SPDX for this purposes
    • Tracks OSS use cases
  • Two systems using
    • Approval process
    • Data from the build
    • Will eventually try to compare to ensure sync
      • Can be hard to maintain, particularly when removing stuff.
  • Sam’s projects use and exceptionally large amount of OSS
    • Need to explain to customers
    • Ideally would like to auto-gen the list of licenses they publish
      • Practical Problem: They don’t want to declare all
        • For example, disjunctive license, may only want declare one
  • Would like to ship SPDX
    • Need to work out how much to declare
    • They get a lot of queries
      • Concern is does providing more info, generate more queries
    • * Certainly they feel that SPDX is the right format
  • Observations
    • Tag file is large - 130 MB for one product
      • Too large to ship, but could include on website
      • Too much info to be comprehensible
    • People who need to use, don’t have the tools
      • Need something that can open and filter/summarize
  • Learning
    • In the past have developed one big SPDX file
    • Probably a mistake, should have broken it down
  • Discussion
    • Tooling- perhaps the convertor to spreadsheet
    • Supply chain partners are really interested in use cases, not just what’s in product
    • Any sharing SPDX docs within company yet? - No, not yet.

Tech Team Report - Kate/Gary[edit]

  • Spec
    • 2.1 draft is out for review
      • open until the end of the month
      • assuming no show stoppers, that should be it
  • Tooling
    • Started updating for 2.1 last week
    • External references implementation taking more time than anticipated
    • Tooling first pass should be ready with 2.1 release timeframe
    • Gary is keen for feedback on our tools and any issues in implementing other tools

Outreach Team Report - Jack[edit]

  • Website
    • Very close to wrapping up
    • Looking at final review next week

Legal Team Report - Jilayne[edit]

  • XML templates
    • Review continuing
    • Call today will checkpoint where we are and remaining work
  • 2.5 list release
    • Should be live in the next day or two
    • Not too many new licenses

Cross Functional Topics - Phil[edit]

  • Guest stars
    • Always looking for more
  • LinuxCon
    • Looks light nothing official

Attendees[edit]

  • Phil Odence, Black Duck
  • Kate Stewart, Linux Foundation
  • Jilayne Lovejoy, ARM
  • Scott Sterling, Palamida
  • Robin Gandhi, UNO
  • Jack Manbeck, TI
  • Yev Bronshteyn, Black Duck
  • Gary O’Neill, SourceAuditor
  • Mark Gisi, Wind River
  • Dave Marr, Qualcomm
  • Matt Germonprez, UNO
  • Michael Herzog- nexB
  • Sam Ellis, ARM

Thursday's SPDX General Meeting

Philip Odence

Please join us this week. Sam Ellis will kick the meeting off with a presentation on ARM’s use of and plans for SPDX.

GENERAL MEETING

Meeting Time: Thurs, July 7, 8am PDT / 10 am CDT / 11am EDT / 15:00 UTC. http://www.timeanddate.com/worldclock/converter.html

Conf call dial-in:
Optional dial in number: 877-297-7470
Alternate number: 512-910-4433
No PIN needed

Guest Presentation – Sam Ellis, ARM

Technical Team Report – Kate

Legal Team Report – Jilayne

Business Team Report – Jack

Cross Functional Issues - Phil

SPDX 2.1 Specification - please provide any final input before July 29, 2016

Kate Stewart

Greetings,
     The tech team is winding up the remaining minor changes, and has
declared the SPDX 2.1 specification ready for wider public review.
The review window will end on July 29th, and if there are no show stoppers,
we'll be releasing 2.1 after that.

Highlights of this version are,  more expressive and accurate handling
of external references,   ability to accurately reference snippets and syntax
for embedding SPDX license list short identifiers in source files.

A .pdf version of the 2.1 draft version of the specification has been
attached for your convenience.

What we're still working on:
- area's highlighted in yellow - some wording discussions ongoing.
- figuring out how to handle external references to debian (hope to settle it this week)
- update license list to 2.5 when its released.
- summary information.
- clean up some formatting weirdnesses in final document and moving it to git

How can you help?
- please read through the new sections on the .pdf or google document (see below)
  and make sure they are understandable.
- please start implementing tools and let us know if we've overlooked something.

Any minor syntax, grammar, style etc. changes - please create a comment in the google document.

If you spot a major flaw,   please open a bugzilla bug at: https://bugs.linuxfoundation.org under
project SPDX,  version 2.1.

Thank you for your help!

Kate Stewart,  on behalf of the spdx-tech team.

SPDX June General Meeting Minutes

Philip Odence

Dave Marr did a great job presenting the importance of SPDX to Qualcomm. Please let me know if you or colleagues would be willing to give a brief, high level talk on how SPDX is being thought about and used (or planned to be used) in the field. Thanks!

General Meeting/Minutes/2016-06-02

  • Attendance: 14
  • Lead by Phil Odence
  • Minutes of May meeting approved

Special Guest - Dave Marr, Qualcomm[edit]

  • SPDX is a critical piece of getting well and getting good at managing open source
  • Open source overall
    • Requires cross functional participation
    • Some very intellectual interesting aspects
    • Management
      • really requires a lot of uninteresting, rote work
      • Necessary to get it right
    • Opportunity for automation
      • Requires standard practices
      • Customer focus required
        • Focus on internal customers too, requires mindset shift
        • Delivering code with compliance problems is like delivering bad code
        • Qualcomm engineers all take Dave’s training
          • The more specific instructions the better
      • SPDX connection
        • Information must be in a factorable form
        • Standardization is key
      • Process required to yield the output
        • That’s the hard part
        • Can’t have drag on engineering processes
        • So need automation and “plumbing”
      • Direction
        • Aiming for seamlessness
        • Suppliers need to be brought into this
        • If everyone provides SPDX, there’s still the need to efficiently consume and manage through the dev process
        • Solution needs to handle version control and compilation
        • The dream is a way to move the SPDX files along with the code and to handle refactoring to the ultimately the SPDX files for products the ship are available and largely accurate.
      • How to get there?
        • Tricky to improve the plane while still flying
      • Does annotation in SPDX help?
        • So far they struggle with achieving behavioral change in engineering
        • Works best when product managers drive
        • Annotations are good for simple use case
      • Looking at hooks into version control systems?
        • Yes, and this might be the ultimate approach
        • At least part of the solution
        • One source of truth is required -- and as contained within the version control system

Tech Team Report - Kate[edit]

  • Spec
    • 2.1 very close to getting pushed out
      • two appendices need a little work, but that’s it
      • Kate can provide link to review for everyone
      • Somewhat waiting for Gary’s return from vaca
    • Live on the new website
  • Tools
    • Starting to update for 2.1

Outreach Team Report - Jack[edit]

  • Website
    • Still working it through
    • Lots to talk about in team call today
    • Still a few functional issues, need to resolve with LF folks

Legal Team Report - Paul[edit]

  • Primary focus getting all the licenses into GitHub
      • for maintenance
      • and more future utility
    • all license have been converted
      • going thru manually
  • New licenses
    • knocking them down as they come in
    • little backlog at this point

Cross Functional Topics - Phil[edit]

  • Guest stars
    • Sam Ellis, Dave Marr, one more in pipeline

Attendees[edit]

  • Phil Odence, Black Duck
  • Kate Stewart, Linux Foundation
  • Jilayne Lovejoy, ARM
  • Jack Manbeck, TI
  • Scott Sterling, Palamida
  • Paul Madick, Dimension Data
  • Robin Gandhi, UNO
  • Alexios Zavras, Intel
  • Pierre LaPointe, nexB
  • Michael Herzog- nexB
  • Mike Dolan, Linux Foundation
  • Matt Germonprez, UNO
  • Yev Bronshteyn, Black Duck
  • Matija Suklje, FSFE

SPDX Special Guest Star Announcement and Thursday General Meeting Reminder

Philip Odence

This month, Dave Marr from Qualcomm will talk about his company’s use of SPDX. It will surely be interesting, so please join us.

GENERAL MEETING

Meeting Time: Thurs, June 2, 8am PDT / 10 am CDT / 11am EDT / 15:00 UTC. http://www.timeanddate.com/worldclock/converter.html

Conf call dial-in:
Optional dial in number: 877-297-7470
Alternate number: 512-910-4433
No PIN needed

Guest Presentation – Dave Marr

Technical Team Report – Kate

Legal Team Report – Jilayne

Business Team Report – Jack

Cross Functional Issues - Phil

SPDX May General Meeting Minutes

Philip Odence

General Meeting/Minutes/2016-05-05

  • Attendance: 9
  • Lead by Phil Odence
  • Minutes of April meeting approved

Tech Team Report - Kate/Gary[edit]

  • Spec
    • Getting to final stages
    • Collab Summit issues have been addressed
    • People working on the spec have reviewed
    • Then will go out for broader review in a couple weeks
    • Transitioning documentation to Git
  • 2.1 Tools
    • Tool dev is finding some inconsistencies in tool
      • e.g. No license, no assertion

Outreach Team Report - Jack[edit]

  • Website
    • Still trying to finish off
    • Important call today

Legal Team Report - Jilayne/Paul[edit]

  • Special Call today
    • Working on XML files today
    • What review will look like
    • So work can be easily divided
  • License review tasks at hand-
    • 300 license need review (no more than 30 person-hours)
    • This is a rough look to make sure machine conversion hasn’t made obvious mistakes
    • Hoping to have done for next release of license list, end of Jun
    • Will make the call early in June.
  • Regular business of Legal Team
    • Some normal license approvals
    • Issue of Public Domain re-raised and discussed
      • Back burnered for future discussion
      • May involve a standard govt header

Cross Functional Topics - Phil[edit]

  • Google SoC
    • Will not participate this year
  • Uber Conf
    • Need to find how our account was originally created
    • Kate building new one
  • Guest stars
    • Sam Ellis, Dave Marr, one more in pipeline
  • OSI Meeting

Attendees[edit]

  • Phil Odence, Black Duck
  • Kate Stewart, Linux Foundation
  • Jilayne Lovejoy, ARM
  • Mark Gisi, Wind River
  • Jack Manbeck, TI
  • Scott Sterling, Palamida
  • Gary O’Neill, SourceAuditor
  • Paul Madick, Dimension Data
  • Robin Gandhi, UNO

Reminder: Thursday SPDX General Meeting

Philip Odence

For the week, it will just be the normal agenda, so the meeting is likely to run only 30 minutes.
We have guest speakers lined up for the next several meetings.

GENERAL MEETING

Meeting Time: Thurs, May 5, 8am PDT / 10 am CDT / 11am EDT / 15:00 UTC. http://www.timeanddate.com/worldclock/converter.html

Conf call dial-in:
Optional dial in number: 877-297-7470