Date

SPDX Thurs (today) General Meeting Reminder

Phil Odence

It’s September! Apologies for the late reminder. I just never hit send yesterday.

Note that the minutes from August meeting are at the bottome of this email.

This month, there will be no special presentation per se, however the Steering Committee update will be extended and will include Jilayne presenting a new process to facilitate expedient decision making around new ideas that have cross team impact or would represent a big change for the overall project.

General Manager, Black Duck Audit Business

Synopsys Software Integrity Group, Burlington, MA

M (781) 258-9502 | phil.odence@...

https://www.synopsys.com/audits

SIG-emailsig-2020

signature_2892046952   signature_4149161518   signature_715487372   signature_2597224942

GENERAL MEETING

Meeting Time: Thurs, Sept 1, 8am PT / 10 am CT / 11am ET / 15:00 UTC. http://www.timeanddate.com/worldclock/converter.html

Conf call dial-in:

Join the meeting:
https://meet.jit.si/SPDXGeneralMeeting

To join by phone instead, tap this: +1.512.647.1431,,1310118349#

Looking for a different dial-in number?
See meeting dial-in numbers:
https://meet.jit.si/static/dialInInfo.html?room=SPDXGeneralMeeting

If also dialing-in through a room phone, join without connecting to audio:
https://meet.jit.si/SPDXGeneralMeeting#config.startSilent=true

Etherpad for minutes:

https://spdx.swinslow.net/p/spdx-general-minutes

Minutes Approval: At the bottom of this email

Steering Committee Update - Phil

Technical Team Report – Kate/Gary/Others

  • Specification and Profiles
    • Overview
    • Core
    • Legal
    • Integrity
    • Defects
    • Usage and Other Emerging
  • Tooling

Legal Team Report – Jilayne/Paul/Steve

Outreach/Website Team Report – Jack/Sebastian/Alexios

SPDX General Meeting Minutes - Aug 4, 2022

Administrative

Attendance: 29

  • Lead by Phil Odence, Steve Winslow
  • Minutes from last meeting approved

Special Presentation, Matthew Crawford

  • A new era for SPDX at Arm, are we ready for change? - A New Era for SPDX at Arm: Are we ready for change? (recording available, insert link later)
  • Thanks to Jilayne, Sami Atabani and SPDX team
  • Old system (ulimately non-std BoM format)
  • Towards generating SPDX
  • New tooling "hot off the press"

Tech Team Report - Gary/Kate/WilliamB

Spec

  • SPDX 2.3 release window - 6 days left. If see any issues, raise in Github, or on tech team email list
    • RC1 window - no roadblocks raised yet.
    • Schema available and tool creators requested to experiment and raise issues.
    • Joshua - CVE reporting added, not clear how to use it. Gary: using external references to refer to CVEs, as well as other security types. Any way to indicate a specific CVE has been fixed? VEX document may be an option. Recommed going to defects working group.
    • Java tools have been implemented, will be publised after 2.3 release is out.
  • GSoC checkpoint - Alexios
    • just passed half-time mark, steady progress on both projects.
  • SPDX 3.0 Model
    • Good progress on identities, updated in repo. seee: SPDX v3 model diagram https://github.com/spdx/spdx-3-model/blob/main/model.png
    • AI BOM profile - discussed into 2 parts - AI App/Model & Data sets
    • Build Profile - making steady process
    • Defects - looking at what should be in 3.0 now, use-cases welcome
    • Usage -

Legal Team Report - Jilayne/Paul/Steve

Outreach Team Report - Sebastian / Jack / Alexios

  • GSoC - mentioned above
  • general activity, making improvements to outreach team Landscape with Wipro volunteer assistance (thanks Vicky and others!)
  • logos for SPDX's own tools - seeking folks with graphic design talents
    • can explore with LF marketing (Steve will help with LF interaction)
    • noted at OpenSSF - using AI image generators
    • Meeting time is changing to shorter weekly 30 minute meetings.

Attendees

  • Phil Odence, Synopsys/Black Duck Audits
  • Matthew Crawford (Arm)
  • Kate Stewart
  • Gary O'Neall
  • Jilayne Lovejoy (Red Hat)
  • Jari Koivisto
  • Sebastian Crane
  • Alexios Zavras
  • Steve Winslow
  • Ray Lutz (Citizensoversight.org)
  • Akbar (Arm)
  • Alex Rybak (Revenera)
  • Alfredo Espinosa
  • Andrew Jorgenson
  • Brad Goldring (GTC Law Group)
  • Bryan Cowan
  • Christopher Lusk
  • David Edelsohn
  • Jeff H.
  • Karsten Klein
  • Molly Menoni
  • Rich Steenwyk
  • Shailja Kumari
  • Joshua Watt
  • Ria Schalnat
  • Stephen Reeves
  • Janet
  • VM Brasseur
  • Jeff Schutt

Re: SPDX Merging #spdx

Ivana Atanasova

Hi,

Just made the sbom-composer tool public. It’s been only run with sboms that I generated, so would be very happy to hear your feedback and do any following updates if necessary.

Joe, it does the merge based on these guidelines. As an example these two sboms result in this composed.spdx. Shortly, it just appends the data without the document creation information, allows the latter to be configurable and updates the references. Would be happy to hear your feedback if any.

Best,

Ivana

---

Ivana Atanasova

Open Source Engineer

VMware Open Source Program Office

From: spdx@... <spdx@...> on behalf of Joe Bussell via lists.spdx.org <joe.bussell=microsoft.com@...>
Date: Tuesday, 9 August 2022, 20:09
To: spdx@... <spdx@...>
Subject: Re: [spdx] SPDX Merging #spdx

Shouldn’t this be done by creating a third SBOM that refers back to the subordinate SBOMs, including all three in the result chain?

From: spdx@... <spdx@...> on behalf of Gary O'Neall via lists.spdx.org <gary=sourceauditor.com@...>
Date: Monday, 8 August 2022, 20:07
To: spdx@... <spdx@...>

From: Spdx-legal@... <Spdx-legal@...> on behalf of Steve Winslow <swinslow@...>
Date: Saturday, July 30, 2022 at 12:06 PM
To: J Lovejoy <opensource@...>
Cc: SPDX-legal <Spdx-legal@...>, spdx@... <spdx@...>, Spdx-tech@... <Spdx-tech@...>, Spdx-outreach@... <Spdx-outreach@...>
Subject: Re: [spdx-tech] Important changes to software license information in Fedora packages (SPDX and more!)

Jilayne, this is awesome news -- thanks for passing it along!

Looking forward to us working with the Fedora community to support them adding SPDX license IDs across the distro.

Steve

On Fri, Jul 29, 2022 at 12:21 PM J Lovejoy <opensource@...> wrote:

Hot off the press!

Link to blog post of this here: https://communityblog.fedoraproject.org/important-changes-to-software-license-information-in-fedora-packages-spdx-and-more/

Thanks for the support on this from SPDX-legal. There is more work to come, for sure, but being able to use SPDX license identifiers in a full distro is a great challenge for our project to meet!

:)

Jilayne

Date: Fri, 29 Jul 2022 11:19:48 -0400
From: Matthew Miller <mattdm@...>
To: devel-announce@...

----------------------------------

-------------------

--
Matthew Miller
<mattdm@...>

Important changes to software license information in Fedora packages (SPDX and more!)

J Lovejoy

[...]

SPDX Spec Version 2.3 Available for Review

Gary O'Neall

Greetings all,

The SPDX spec version 2.3 is now available for review at https://spdx.github.io/spdx-spec/v2.3-RC1/.

A summary of the changes can be found in the SPEC Annex I.

If you identify any issues, please submit an issue or pull request in the SPDX spec repository.  See the CONTRIBUTING.md file for details.  You can also submit issues to the SPDX tech mailing list.

Please submit any issues or proposed spec changes by end of day August 10.

Best regards,

SPDX Tech Team

Principal Consultant

Source Auditor Inc.

Mobile: 408.805.0586

Email: gary@...

CONFIDENTIALITY NOTE: The information transmitted, including attachments, is intended only for the person(s) or entity to which it is addressed and may contain confidential and/or privileged material. Any review, re-transmission, dissemination or other use of, or taking of any action in reliance upon this information by persons or entities other than the intended recipient is prohibited. If you received this in error, please contact the sender and destroy any copies of this information.

Re: Specific SPDX identifier question I didn't see addressed in the specification

Again, this conversation belongs on the SPDX-legal mailing list, not the SPDX-general list. I tried to remedy this early on, but somehow SPDX-legal got dropped and it went back to SPDX-general.

I’m happy to re-start this thread or raise it as a topic on the next SPDX legal team call, but either way a new thread or conversation needs to be started to avoid unnecessary traffic on the SPDX-general list.

SPDX legal team co-lead
Steering Committee member

On Jul 11, 2022, at 11:17 AM, McCoy Smith <mccoy@...> wrote:

On Jul 11, 2022, at 9:51 AM, Alexios Zavras <alexios.zavras@...> wrote:

I think our understanding until now is that the package should have "License-A AND License-B", to denote the presence of these licenses. But conversely, this license expression should NOT be understood to mean that "everything in here is under this expression (combination of licenses)".

Richard's example of taking the license of a set and applying it to every single item shows the error in this approach.
Yes that’s it. I think AND alone could be (and might widely be) misconstrued as to what state is actually being represented.
One solution is for people and tools to correctly understand the SPDX tags and operators.
The other is to convey more information with those tags and operators.
Which is best I don’t know, depends on how well people and tools are interpreting the conveyed information.
This is a bit orthogonal from my initial inquiry, but perhaps my inquiry tests the limits of “just use AND” as the solution?
-- zvr