Date   

Re: SPDX Company Membership

Brian Fox
 

Once signing up, how are nominations made?


On Tue, Mar 29, 2022 at 10:17 PM Steve Winslow <swinslow@...> wrote:
Hello SPDX community,

Just wanted to send a reminder from Phil's original email announcing the SPDX project membership process -- see his email below.

As mentioned previously, companies / organizations that become a member of SPDX prior to April 1 (before this coming Friday) will be able to nominate an individual from their organization for consideration for the initial Member Representative seats on the SPDX Steering Committee. On or shortly after April 1, we will send out details about the nomination process to all member companies as of that date, so that nominations can be submitted and the 1 or 2 Member Representatives chosen by the Steering Committee before their annual term begins on May 1.

If you'd like for your company to nominate someone for consideration for the initial Member Representatives, please make sure that your company signs up as a member of SPDX on or before this Thursday, March 31. Please note that just being listed as an "SPDX Supporter" on https://spdx.dev is not itself the same as becoming a member of the project; you'll need to sign up as a member using the process Phil described below.

(Of course, membership will still be open after that date, and future members could participate in nominations for future years' Member Representatives.)

Best,
Steve

On Thu, Dec 2, 2021 at 3:03 PM Phil Odence via lists.spdx.org <phil.odence=synopsys.com@...> wrote:

Dear SPDX community,

 

With the adoption of the new project governance model for SPDX in September, one new aspect of the updated structure is the introduction of the ability for companies and other organizations to become official members of the project.

 

We have been working with the Linux Foundation for them to configure their membership enrollment platform for SPDX. Now that this has been completed, we're happy to announce that organizations can begin signing up as members of SPDX.

 

As a reminder, organizational membership in SPDX is not required in order for anyone to contribute to or participate in the technical development of SPDX. All of SPDX's code and specification development is open to anyone to participate in, whether or not their organization is a formal SPDX member -- same as always.

 

Membership Benefits

 

Membership in SPDX enables an organization to have their logo displayed on the project website and materials to indicate their status as a "member" of the project, and to identify them as such.

 

Additionally, with the governance change, the SPDX Steering Committee will be expanded to include up to two individuals selected as Member Representatives (see Section 2 of the Governance document). Each organization that is a member of SPDX may nominate one person from their organization as a candidate for selection

 

Organizations that become members of SPDX within the first four months following December 1, 2021, may make a nomination for the initial selection of Member Representatives during that four-month time period. After April 1, 2022, the Steering Committee will choose the Member Representatives from among the nominees. We will send updated details about this to the then-current members as the deadline approaches. The terms for all Steering Committee members, as specified in Section 2 of the Governance document, will begin on May 1, 2022.

 

Signing up

 

Project membership in SPDX itself is available at no charge; however, an organization must be a member of The Linux Foundation (which may include fees for your organization) in order to become a member.

 

In order to become a member, go to https://enrollment.lfx.linuxfoundation.org/?project=spdx to begin the signup process. If your organization is not already an LF member, the LF membership agreement sign-up and billing will be included as part of the process.

 

(Please note that the membership enrollment system may still ask for billing information, even if your organization is already an LF member and you are only signing up for SPDX membership.)

 

Please let us know if you or your organization have any questions about becoming a member of SPDX.

 

SPDX Steering Committee

Phil, Kate, Gary, Jilayne, Steve, Paul and Jack

 

 


Re: SPDX Company Membership

Steve Winslow
 

Hello SPDX community,

Just wanted to send a reminder from Phil's original email announcing the SPDX project membership process -- see his email below.

As mentioned previously, companies / organizations that become a member of SPDX prior to April 1 (before this coming Friday) will be able to nominate an individual from their organization for consideration for the initial Member Representative seats on the SPDX Steering Committee. On or shortly after April 1, we will send out details about the nomination process to all member companies as of that date, so that nominations can be submitted and the 1 or 2 Member Representatives chosen by the Steering Committee before their annual term begins on May 1.

If you'd like for your company to nominate someone for consideration for the initial Member Representatives, please make sure that your company signs up as a member of SPDX on or before this Thursday, March 31. Please note that just being listed as an "SPDX Supporter" on https://spdx.dev is not itself the same as becoming a member of the project; you'll need to sign up as a member using the process Phil described below.

(Of course, membership will still be open after that date, and future members could participate in nominations for future years' Member Representatives.)

Best,
Steve

On Thu, Dec 2, 2021 at 3:03 PM Phil Odence via lists.spdx.org <phil.odence=synopsys.com@...> wrote:

Dear SPDX community,

 

With the adoption of the new project governance model for SPDX in September, one new aspect of the updated structure is the introduction of the ability for companies and other organizations to become official members of the project.

 

We have been working with the Linux Foundation for them to configure their membership enrollment platform for SPDX. Now that this has been completed, we're happy to announce that organizations can begin signing up as members of SPDX.

 

As a reminder, organizational membership in SPDX is not required in order for anyone to contribute to or participate in the technical development of SPDX. All of SPDX's code and specification development is open to anyone to participate in, whether or not their organization is a formal SPDX member -- same as always.

 

Membership Benefits

 

Membership in SPDX enables an organization to have their logo displayed on the project website and materials to indicate their status as a "member" of the project, and to identify them as such.

 

Additionally, with the governance change, the SPDX Steering Committee will be expanded to include up to two individuals selected as Member Representatives (see Section 2 of the Governance document). Each organization that is a member of SPDX may nominate one person from their organization as a candidate for selection

 

Organizations that become members of SPDX within the first four months following December 1, 2021, may make a nomination for the initial selection of Member Representatives during that four-month time period. After April 1, 2022, the Steering Committee will choose the Member Representatives from among the nominees. We will send updated details about this to the then-current members as the deadline approaches. The terms for all Steering Committee members, as specified in Section 2 of the Governance document, will begin on May 1, 2022.

 

Signing up

 

Project membership in SPDX itself is available at no charge; however, an organization must be a member of The Linux Foundation (which may include fees for your organization) in order to become a member.

 

In order to become a member, go to https://enrollment.lfx.linuxfoundation.org/?project=spdx to begin the signup process. If your organization is not already an LF member, the LF membership agreement sign-up and billing will be included as part of the process.

 

(Please note that the membership enrollment system may still ask for billing information, even if your organization is already an LF member and you are only signing up for SPDX membership.)

 

Please let us know if you or your organization have any questions about becoming a member of SPDX.

 

SPDX Steering Committee

Phil, Kate, Gary, Jilayne, Steve, Paul and Jack

 

 


Special Presentation and SPDX Thurs General Meeting Reminder

Phil Odence
 

REMINDER: Encourage your LF member company to join SPDX https://enrollment.lfx.linuxfoundation.org/?project=spdx . Companies that join by April 1 may nominate a candidate for Steering Committee this year.

 

PRESENTATION: Please join us for a very interesting presentation to kick off the meeting.

 

How RKVST Uses SPDX for Software Transparency by Jon Geater, CTO Jitsuin

Abstract:

One crucial aspect to deriving Trust in connected systems is software transparency, and SBOM (AKA “what’s in the box?”) is a crucial part of this, so SPDX is a very interesting place for Jon and RKVST to engage. We’ll be briefly exploring the deeper requirements of software transparency for context and look forward to a discussion on how best to apply and assist the SPDX community in meeting these.

Jon:

Jon Geater is chair of the Security and Trustworthiness Working Group in the Digital Twin Consortium and lead author of the Security Maturity Model for Digital Twins in the Industry Internet Consortium. In both of these forums, and with his company’s SaaS platform RKVST, he works to press forward the state of the art in Dynamic Resilience: a practical approach to security and safety in today’s fast-changing, highly connected world based on contextual decision-making and Zero Trust principles. As a co-founder of OASIS KMIP, former governing board member of Linux Foundation’s Hyperledger project, and former board member and chair of the Security Task Force at GlobalPlatform, Jon has a strong and dedicated commitment to open standards in cyber security.

 

 

GENERAL MEETING

 

Meeting Time: Thurs, Mar3, 8am PT / 10 am CT / 11am ET / 15:00 UTC. http://www.timeanddate.com/worldclock/converter.html


Conf call dial-in:

Join the meeting:
https://meet.jit.si/SPDXGeneralMeeting

To join by phone instead, tap this: +1.512.647.1431,,1310118349#

Looking for a different dial-in number?
See meeting dial-in numbers: 
https://meet.jit.si/static/dialInInfo.html?room=SPDXGeneralMeeting


If also dialing-in through a room phone, join without connecting to audio: 
https://meet.jit.si/SPDXGeneralMeeting#config.startSilent=true

 

Etherpad for minutes:

https://spdx.swinslow.net/p/spdx-general-minutes

 

Administrative Agenda

Attendance

Minutes Approval https://github.com/spdx/meetings/blob/master/general/2022-02-03.md

 

Special Presentation – SteveH

 

Technical Team Report – Kate/Gary/Others

  • Specification and Profiles
    • Overview
    • Core
    • Legal
    • Integrity
    • Defects
    • Usage and Other Emerging
  • Tooling

 

Legal Team Report – Jilayne/Paul/Steve

 

Outreach/Website Team Report – Jack 

 


SPDX Feb General Meeting MInutes

Phil Odence
 

https://github.com/spdx/meetings/blob/master/general/2022-02-03.md

 

 

L. Philip Odence

General Manager, Black Duck Audit Business

Synopsys Software Integrity Group, Burlington, MA

M (781) 258-9502 | phil.odence@...

https://www.synopsys.com/audits  

 

 

SIG-emailsig-2020

 

 

signature_762280638   signature_1149972784   signature_1518328037   signature_338408634

 

 

SPDX General Meeting Minutes - Feb 3, 2022

Administrative

  • Attendance: 33
  • Lead by Phil Odence
  • Minutes from last meeting approved

Steve Hendrick w/report on SBOM readiness

  • Press release about the report
  • Report itself
  • Showing a selected set of slides from the report
  • In all his years as an industry analyst, he never heard of SBOMs. Now though, it's about to become a massive market.
  • Was careful to not be too LF biased by surveying a broad end user community.
  • Anticipate a 60+ percent growth of orgs using SBOMs…if the tooling exists to support that growth. He hasn't yet looked at the tools that are out there.
  • Not a lot of visibility for this from the vendors & tooling providers. Analysts also haven't yet done a market forecast for this, either.
  • Discussion on formats that wasn't included in the report. Won't summarise here as it's not really public.

Tech Team Report - Gary/Kate/Thomas

Spec

Defects

  • Thomas sent out Doodle poll to figure out date for next team call
  • Multiple options on how to include vulnerabilities: include, separate, and link
  • Working on one document

Core 3.0

  • Good progress on building concensus on when to use properties or relationships (packages containing files for example). Follow along in spdx-3.0-model repo.

2.3 Release

  • Follow up from Docfest on some clarifications that emerged from comparisons.
  • Anything that we need to help people adopt SPDX for presidential order. Dick points out CMC issued an RFI that incorporates SBOM: https://sam.gov/opp/fe53a2be20094034b178e260f29cd0ad/view
  • For licensing-related fields that are currently mandatory but can have noassertion, looking at permitting them to be made as optional for 2.3, presuming NOASSERTION if field is omitted.

Tools

DocFest (Rose)

  • Held on 1/27, 24 attendee, identified - 6 topics - made it through all 6
  • Thanks to analysis team for helping to understand the differences!

GSOC

  • GSOC Summer of Code - Alexios will be lead.
  • Please feel free to contribute

Tooling Release

Legal Team Report - Jilayne/Paul/Steve

License List

  • Will release 3.16 this weekend.
  • Good discussion on Fedora use of identifiers, and use between communities.
    • Historically added about 80 licenses to license list in 2014, based on Fedora's own list of licenses
    • Similar to discussion previously with Warner about use in FreeBSD
    • Will provide updates to General team on Fedora and FreeBSD as it proceeds

Outreach Team Report - Sebastian

  • (getting update from email)

Attendees

  • VM Brasseur
  • Brad Goldring, GTC Law Group
  • Christina Chen
  • Thomas Steenbergen
  • Steve Hendrick
  • Jilayne Lovejoy
  • Dick Brooks
  • Kate Stewart
  • Alex Rybak
  • Alexios Zavras
  • Gary O'Neall
  • Christine Chen
  • David Edelsohn
  • Edgar
  • Jacob Wilson
  • Jesse Porter, Qualcomm
  • Karan Marjara
  • Lena Smart
  • Marc Etienne Vargenau
  • Matthew Neal Miller, Red Hat Product Security
  • Michael Herzog
  • Paul Madick
  • Pete Allor, Red Hat Product Security
  • Phil Odence
  • Steve Winslow
  • William Cox
  • Andrew Jorgensen
  • Alfredo Espinosa
  • Rose Judge
  • Ria Schalnat
  • Joe Bussell
  • Joshua Dubin
  • Michael Herzog

 


Special Presentation and SPDX Thurs General Meeting Reminder

Phil Odence
 

Please join us for a very interesting presentation to kick off the meeting:

 

Preview of LF Study on SBOM Readiness by Steve Hendrick

Abstract:

The State of Software Bill of Materials (SBOM) and Cybersecurity Readiness, produced in partnership with SPDX, OpenChain, and OpenSSF, reports on the extent of organizational SBOM readiness and adoption and its significance to improving cybersecurity throughout the open source ecosystem. The study comes on the heels of the US Administration’s Executive Order on Improving the Nation’s Cybersecurity, and the disclosure of the most recent and far-reaching log4j security vulnerability. Its timing coincides with increasing recognition across the globe of the importance of identifying software components and helping accelerate widespread implementation of cybersecurity best practices to mitigate the impact of software vulnerabilities. 

Steve:

Steve Hendrick, who authored the SBOM readiness report, is a Vice President of research for the Linux Foundation and well traveled in application development and deployment software.  Prior to his current role at the Linux Foundation, Steve spent 30 years as an industry analyst working for IDC, ESG, and EMA driving application development and deployment research. Steve has authored over 1,000 research reports and served as primary investigator on over 100 surveys.

 

GENERAL MEETING

 

Meeting Time: Thurs, Feb3, 8am PT / 10 am CT / 11am ET / 15:00 UTC. http://www.timeanddate.com/worldclock/converter.html


Conf call dial-in:

Join the meeting:
https://meet.jit.si/SPDXGeneralMeeting

To join by phone instead, tap this: +1.512.647.1431,,1310118349#

Looking for a different dial-in number?
See meeting dial-in numbers:
 https://meet.jit.si/static/dialInInfo.html?room=SPDXGeneralMeeting


If also dialing-in through a room phone, join without connecting to audio:
 https://meet.jit.si/SPDXGeneralMeeting#config.startSilent=true

 

Etherpad for minutes:

https://spdx.swinslow.net/p/spdx-general-minutes

 

Administrative Agenda

Attendance

Minutes Approval https://github.com/spdx/meetings/blob/master/general/2022-01-06.md

 

Special Presentation – SteveH

 

Technical Team Report – Kate/Gary/Others

  • Specification and Profiles
    • Overview
    • Core
    • Legal
    • Integrity
    • Defects
    • Usage and Other Emerging
  • Tooling

 

Legal Team Report – Jilayne/Paul/Steve

 

Outreach/Website Team Report – Jack 

 


Re: [spdx-tech] Registration open for SPDX DocFest on Jan 27th

Dick Brooks
 

Thanks, Rose – much appreciate the quick response and for all that you do for the SPDX community.

 

Looking forward to participating in the DocFest.

 

Cheers and best regards,

 

Dick Brooks

Never trust software, always verify and report!

http://www.reliableenergyanalytics.com

Email: dick@...

Tel: +1 978-696-1788

 

From: Rose Judge <rjudge@...>
Sent: Wednesday, January 12, 2022 11:51 AM
To: dick@...; spdx@...
Subject: Re: [spdx-tech] Registration open for SPDX DocFest on Jan 27th

 

Hi Dick,

 

Instructions to participate with target sets/objects will be mailed out on Monday. We are finalizing the targets as we speak.  

 

Thanks for your interest and patience. Excited to have you as part of this event!

 

-Rose

From: Dick Brooks <dick@...>
Organization: Reliable Energy Analytics LLC
Reply-To: "dick@..." <dick@...>
Date: Wednesday, January 12, 2022 at 8:48 AM
To: Rose Judge <rjudge@...>, "Spdx-tech@..." <Spdx-tech@...>, "spdx@..." <spdx@...>
Subject: RE: [spdx-tech] Registration open for SPDX DocFest on Jan 27th

 

Rose,

 

Where can I find the target set objects to create/submit an SPDX SBOM?

 

 

From: Spdx-tech@... <Spdx-tech@...> On Behalf Of Rose Judge
Sent: Wednesday, January 12, 2022 11:39 AM
To: Spdx-tech@...; spdx@...
Subject: [spdx-tech] Registration open for SPDX DocFest on Jan 27th

 

Hello SPDX community,

 

SPDX is hosting another DocFest on January 27th from 7-11 AM PST. The purpose of this event is to bring together producers and consumers of SPDX documents and discuss differences between tool output and understanding for the same software artifacts. 


Specifically, the goals of this 
DocFest are to:
1) come to agreement on how the fields should be populated for a given artifact
2) identify instances where different use cases might lead to different choices for fields and structures of documents
3) assess how well the NTIA SBOM minimum elements are covered
4) create a set of reference SPDX SBOMs as part of the corpus for further tooling evaluation.

This event will require "sweat equity" – participants who can produce SPDX documents are expected to have generated at least one SPDX document from the target set (either source, built from source, built image or container equivalent). Participants who consume SPDX documents are expected to run at least two SPDX documents through their tooling and share any analysis results. Those who have signed up and have submitted files by January 21, 2022 will receive a meeting invite to the 
DocFest.

To indicate interest to participate, please fill in the following form:

https://forms.gle/Mq7ReinTY6gDL4cs9


Further details on how to participate will be mailed to those that have filled in the form. 

Thanks,
DocFest Organizers  (Rose, Gary, Kate)

 


Re: [spdx-tech] Registration open for SPDX DocFest on Jan 27th

Rose Judge
 

Hi Dick,

 

Instructions to participate with target sets/objects will be mailed out on Monday. We are finalizing the targets as we speak.  

 

Thanks for your interest and patience. Excited to have you as part of this event!

 

-Rose

From: Dick Brooks <dick@...>
Organization: Reliable Energy Analytics LLC
Reply-To: "dick@..." <dick@...>
Date: Wednesday, January 12, 2022 at 8:48 AM
To: Rose Judge <rjudge@...>, "Spdx-tech@..." <Spdx-tech@...>, "spdx@..." <spdx@...>
Subject: RE: [spdx-tech] Registration open for SPDX DocFest on Jan 27th

 

Rose,

 

Where can I find the target set objects to create/submit an SPDX SBOM?

 

 

From: Spdx-tech@... <Spdx-tech@...> On Behalf Of Rose Judge
Sent: Wednesday, January 12, 2022 11:39 AM
To: Spdx-tech@...; spdx@...
Subject: [spdx-tech] Registration open for SPDX DocFest on Jan 27th

 

Hello SPDX community,

 

SPDX is hosting another DocFest on January 27th from 7-11 AM PST. The purpose of this event is to bring together producers and consumers of SPDX documents and discuss differences between tool output and understanding for the same software artifacts. 


Specifically, the goals of this 
DocFest are to:
1) come to agreement on how the fields should be populated for a given artifact
2) identify instances where different use cases might lead to different choices for fields and structures of documents
3) assess how well the NTIA SBOM minimum elements are covered
4) create a set of reference SPDX SBOMs as part of the corpus for further tooling evaluation.

This event will require "sweat equity" – participants who can produce SPDX documents are expected to have generated at least one SPDX document from the target set (either source, built from source, built image or container equivalent). Participants who consume SPDX documents are expected to run at least two SPDX documents through their tooling and share any analysis results. Those who have signed up and have submitted files by January 21, 2022 will receive a meeting invite to the 
DocFest.

To indicate interest to participate, please fill in the following form:

https://forms.gle/Mq7ReinTY6gDL4cs9


Further details on how to participate will be mailed to those that have filled in the form. 

Thanks,
DocFest Organizers  (Rose, Gary, Kate)

 


Re: [spdx-tech] Registration open for SPDX DocFest on Jan 27th

Dick Brooks
 

Rose,

 

Where can I find the target set objects to create/submit an SPDX SBOM?

 

 

From: Spdx-tech@... <Spdx-tech@...> On Behalf Of Rose Judge
Sent: Wednesday, January 12, 2022 11:39 AM
To: Spdx-tech@...; spdx@...
Subject: [spdx-tech] Registration open for SPDX DocFest on Jan 27th

 

Hello SPDX community,

 

SPDX is hosting another DocFest on January 27th from 7-11 AM PST. The purpose of this event is to bring together producers and consumers of SPDX documents and discuss differences between tool output and understanding for the same software artifacts. 


Specifically, the goals of this 
DocFest are to:
1) come to agreement on how the fields should be populated for a given artifact
2) identify instances where different use cases might lead to different choices for fields and structures of documents
3) assess how well the NTIA SBOM minimum elements are covered
4) create a set of reference SPDX SBOMs as part of the corpus for further tooling evaluation.

This event will require "sweat equity" – participants who can produce SPDX documents are expected to have generated at least one SPDX document from the target set (either source, built from source, built image or container equivalent). Participants who consume SPDX documents are expected to run at least two SPDX documents through their tooling and share any analysis results. Those who have signed up and have submitted files by January 21, 2022 will receive a meeting invite to the 
DocFest.

To indicate interest to participate, please fill in the following form:

https://forms.gle/Mq7ReinTY6gDL4cs9


Further details on how to participate will be mailed to those that have filled in the form. 

Thanks,
DocFest Organizers  (Rose, Gary, Kate)

 


Registration open for SPDX DocFest on Jan 27th

Rose Judge
 

Hello SPDX community,

 

SPDX is hosting another DocFest on January 27th from 7-11 AM PST. The purpose of this event is to bring together producers and consumers of SPDX documents and discuss differences between tool output and understanding for the same software artifacts. 


Specifically, the goals of this 
DocFest are to:
1) come to agreement on how the fields should be populated for a given artifact
2) identify instances where different use cases might lead to different choices for fields and structures of documents
3) assess how well the NTIA SBOM minimum elements are covered
4) create a set of reference SPDX SBOMs as part of the corpus for further tooling evaluation.

This event will require "sweat equity" – participants who can produce SPDX documents are expected to have generated at least one SPDX document from the target set (either source, built from source, built image or container equivalent). Participants who consume SPDX documents are expected to run at least two SPDX documents through their tooling and share any analysis results. Those who have signed up and have submitted files by January 21, 2022 will receive a meeting invite to the 
DocFest.

To indicate interest to participate, please fill in the following form:

https://forms.gle/Mq7ReinTY6gDL4cs9


Further details on how to participate will be mailed to those that have filled in the form. 

Thanks,
DocFest Organizers  (Rose, Gary, Kate)

 


Re: Archive the https://github.com/spdx/license-list repository

Sebastian Schuberth
 

Thanks Gary.

--
Sebastian Schuberth

On Sun, Jan 9, 2022 at 11:02 PM Gary O'Neall <gary@sourceauditor.com> wrote:

Hi Sebastian and SPDX community,

I just archived the license-list repo per your suggestion. If there are any concerns, let me know. We can always unarchive the repository.

I also archived and updated the README on the following repos. If anyone has any objections or concerns, please let me know.

- ATTIC-tools-go - already indicated as superseded by tools-golang
- spdx-github - Utility has not been updated in several years and does not support the latest versions of the spec
- licensegenplugin - Utility not planned to be used and is no longer supported
- ATTIC-airs - Already indicated as no longer being maintained
- ATTIC-osit - Already indicated as no longer being maintained

Regards,
Gary

-----Original Message-----
From: spdx@lists.spdx.org <spdx@lists.spdx.org> On Behalf Of Sebastian
Schuberth
Sent: Sunday, January 9, 2022 6:38 AM
To: spdx@lists.spdx.org
Subject: [spdx] Archive the https://github.com/spdx/license-list repository

Hi all,

while the README at [1] documents the
https://github.com/spdx/license-list repo to be archived, it's not "archived" in
the GitHub sense, as available in the settings at
https://github.com/spdx/license-list/settings. Any objections doing that to
make it more clear that the repo is archived?

[1] https://github.com/spdx/license-list#readme

--
Sebastian Schuberth








Re: Archive the https://github.com/spdx/license-list repository

Gary O'Neall
 

Hi Sebastian and SPDX community,

I just archived the license-list repo per your suggestion. If there are any concerns, let me know. We can always unarchive the repository.

I also archived and updated the README on the following repos. If anyone has any objections or concerns, please let me know.

- ATTIC-tools-go - already indicated as superseded by tools-golang
- spdx-github - Utility has not been updated in several years and does not support the latest versions of the spec
- licensegenplugin - Utility not planned to be used and is no longer supported
- ATTIC-airs - Already indicated as no longer being maintained
- ATTIC-osit - Already indicated as no longer being maintained

Regards,
Gary

-----Original Message-----
From: spdx@lists.spdx.org <spdx@lists.spdx.org> On Behalf Of Sebastian
Schuberth
Sent: Sunday, January 9, 2022 6:38 AM
To: spdx@lists.spdx.org
Subject: [spdx] Archive the https://github.com/spdx/license-list repository

Hi all,

while the README at [1] documents the
https://github.com/spdx/license-list repo to be archived, it's not "archived" in
the GitHub sense, as available in the settings at
https://github.com/spdx/license-list/settings. Any objections doing that to
make it more clear that the repo is archived?

[1] https://github.com/spdx/license-list#readme

--
Sebastian Schuberth



Archive the https://github.com/spdx/license-list repository

Sebastian Schuberth
 

Hi all,

while the README at [1] documents the
https://github.com/spdx/license-list repo to be archived, it's not
"archived" in the GitHub sense, as available in the settings at
https://github.com/spdx/license-list/settings. Any objections doing
that to make it more clear that the repo is archived?

[1] https://github.com/spdx/license-list#readme

--
Sebastian Schuberth


Thursday's SPDX General Meeting Reminder

Phil Odence
 

 NOTE: As mentioned last meeting, the General Meeting will adopt the practice of the SPDX teams for taking minutes.

We will use Etherpad live in the meeting and others can contribute. This will be particularly helpful for attendance and also handing off when I (as I regularly do) have to head off at half past the hour.

Etherpad:  

https://spdx.swinslow.net/p/spdx-general-minutes

And, starting with this meeting, GitHub will be our repo for archiving minutes. The wiki.spdx.org archive will still exist with the Dec21 minutes being the last entry.

GHub Repo

https://github.com/spdx/meetings/tree/master/general

Thanks,

Phil

 

GENERAL MEETING

 

Meeting Time: Thurs, Jan6, 8am PT / 10 am CT / 11am ET / 15:00 UTC. http://www.timeanddate.com/worldclock/converter.html


Conf call dial-in:

Join the meeting:
https://meet.jit.si/SPDXGeneralMeeting

To join by phone instead, tap this: +1.512.647.1431,,1310118349#

Looking for a different dial-in number?
See meeting dial-in numbers: 
https://meet.jit.si/static/dialInInfo.html?room=SPDXGeneralMeeting


If also dialing-in through a room phone, join without connecting to audio: 
https://meet.jit.si/SPDXGeneralMeeting#config.startSilent=true

 

Administrative Agenda

Attendance

Minutes Approval https://wiki.spdx.org/view/General_Meeting/Minutes/2021-12-02

 

Brief update on governance and membership process - Phil

 

 

Technical Team Report – Kate/Gary/Others

  • Specification and Profiles
    • Overview
    • Core
    • Legal
    • Integrity
    • Defects
    • Usage and Other Emerging
  • Tooling

 

Legal Team Report – Jilayne/Paul/Steve

 

Outreach/Website Team Report – Jack 

  


License Universe

Karsten Klein
 

Hi all,

 

we recently published some insights on our license database. You can find details on

 

https://github.com/org-metaeffekt/metaeffekt-universe

 

and a visualization of the data on

 

https://metaeffekt.com/#universe-a

 

(apologies for the metaeffekt.com pages being currently only available in German language; however the visualization piece is “universal”).

 

The data is meant to convey the richness/complexity of licenses/exceptions in the wild and demonstrates our endeavor for normalization as a fundamental work for identification, scanning and documentation. In particular, the tables on Github show - by linking into the different license spaces - coverage of SPDX, OSI and ScanCode Toolkit.

 

We hope you enjoy “playing around with licenses”.

 

Please note – this is all work in progress. Curiously looking forward for your feedback…

 

Kind regards,

Karsten

 

 

metaeffekt GmbH

Firmensitz: Renettenweg 6/1, 69124 Heidelberg

Registergericht: Amtsgericht Mannheim, HRB 725313

Geschäftsführer: Karsten Klein

USt.-IdNr.: DE307084554

 

Diese E-Mail kann vertrauliche und/oder rechtlich geschützte Informationen beinhalten. Sollten Sie diese E-Mail irrtümlich erhalten haben, informieren Sie bitte den Absender und löschen Sie diese E-Mail und alle Kopien umgehend. Eine unbefugte Weitergabe der E-Mail oder deren Inhalte und Anhänge ist nicht gestattet.

 

Möchten Sie als Empfänger keine Informationen dieser Art erhalten, setzen Sie sich bitte unmittelbar mit dem Absender der E-Mail in Verbindung. Die metaeffekt GmbH unterstützt Ihre Datenhoheit und informationelle Selbstbestimmung und übermittelt Informationen ausschließlich auf der Rechtsgrundlage der europäischen Datenschutzgrundverordnung (DSGVO). Weitere Informationen zu den Datenverarbeitungsvorgängen und insbesondere Ihrer Rechte entnehmen Sie der Datenschutzerklärung der metaeffekt GmbH.

 


SPDX December General Meeting Minutes

Phil Odence
 

Also attached are slides from Adrian and Steve’s very interesting presentations.

 

https://wiki.spdx.org/view/General_Meeting/Minutes/2021-12-02

 

 

General Meeting/Minutes/2021-12-02

General Meeting‎ | Minutes

·         Attendance: 33

·         Lead by Phil Odence

·         Minutes from last approved

·         Phil will company membership announcement before end of week

·         We will be move General Meeting minutes to GitHub and crowdsource during meetings.

Contents

 [hide

Microsoft and SPDX - Adrian/Steve[edit]

·         Microsoft standardizing on SPDX [Adrian Giglio]

·         Why SPDX?

·         On ISO standard path

·         Already participating

·         Great group

·         Why build their own tool?

·         Already had tooling

·         Easy to move to SPDX

·         Needed certainty to meet NTiA standards

·         Utilize MS Detection

·         Needed a great range of environments

·         Support for very large, complex build systems; layered builds

·         The Tool

·         Built on .Net and available for Windows/Linux/Mac

·         Available as build step in Azure

·         Plan is to open source

·         Pulls OSS data from a variety of build system formats

·         Future

·         Proving by early March, then rolling out across Microsoft

·         Exploring different methods of SBOM distribution including web portal

·         Exploring signing with others in the industry

·         MCR Distributing SPDX SBoMs for Microsoft content [Steve Lasker]

·         How to distribute secured supply chain components? Specifically SBOMs

·         Supply chain artifact challenges:

·         artifacts get promoted across environments, including production assets getting pulled from the Internet into restricted networks

·         private virtual networks within cloud infrastructure

·         Solution: Validation artifacts need to travel together with the supply chain objects

·         by default, SBOM might get blocked from being accessed due to "airgapped" / VNet setup

·         instead, create a private registry within each vnet; with shared internal registry hosting all artifacts + SBOMs, then promoted into each vnet

·         ORAS: need signatures to be separable, verifiable, able to be validated, prior to bringing artifact / binary into the environment

·         Microsoft built this for Azure Container Registry, but customers share with other registries and other infrastructure; registries should be a broader standard => OCI Artifacts, ORAS Artifacts

·         Signatures and SPDX SBOMs get attached to the graph

·         ACR support for ORAS Artifacts today => customers can store SPDX SBOMs today: https://aka.ms/acr/supply-chain-artifacts

·         Opportunity: having SPDX document travel alongside the target artifact; CLI that can natively push / pull / validate SPDX SBOMs to Registries

·         What does the SPDX community want to see in an SBOM?

·         recording EULA text?

·         something validated at the time the content is used? => needs to be accessible along with the artifact itself

·         Questions/Comments

·         Dick: what about having vulnerability disclosures together as a part of the distributed info?

·         Appreciate that the SPDX structure enables describing all the pieces of what went into a software build in the first place => static information at a point in time

·         Scan results are things that you learn about over time => e.g. might learn later about a problem that was discovered after it was shipped

·         Scan results will continue to be additive, whereas the SBOM itself doesn't change

·         Dick: some vendors are running scans and producing NVD reports together with vendor's findings; making that info available together with the SBOM. During customer risk assessments, they can see beforehand if a CVE is reported => if shows up in the disclosure, that helps address the risk.

·         Scan results, etc., could be attached to the other documents that are included in the registry

·         Eventually, looking to have a web-browsable portal to easily access these documents. But, the automation is the interesting part.

·         Just this morning, this was announced to be becoming part of an OCI working group; previously getting proven within the ORAS project

·         Sebastian: Ostree (Fedora): https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Changes/OstreeNativeContainer

·         Signature format: shipped in Notary v2, but working on expanding via conversations with the broader community. Needs to be able to be validated broadly.

·         Dick: NIST workshop that took place this week: ability to distribute SDLC evidence and policy data. Will that be part of this?

·         Viewing this as plumbing / core infrastructure, in a generic way; new types will emerge for what types of artifacts are used to be deployed / promoted on this infrastructure

·         Because it's generic / abstracted, any new type can be hosted on this infrastructure

 

Tech Team Report – Kate/Gary/Others[edit]

·         Tools

·         New release of SPDX Java Tools available at https://github.com/spdx/tools-java/releases/tag/v1.0.3

·         Specification

·         Focused on the Core modeling

·         Made progress on collections, packages, and document definitions and relationships

·         Significant testing of the model with different use cases and serialization considerations

 

Legal Team Report - Jilayne/Pau/Steve[edit]

·         License List version 3.15 was released and published to https://spdx.org/licenses on Nov. 14

·         Shortened month for meetings due to Thanksgiving holiday in US

·         Warner Losh presented to the team about FreeBSD's use of SPDX short-form license identifiers: https://docs.google.com/presentation/d/1mRWj7DCiicK57BqD4XzUMSZs51TpUUIYIgI-UcB8XDw/edit#slide=id.p

 

Outreach Team Report -[edit]

·         No update, but Sebastian sent an email to the General Meeting list with notes on behalf of the team.

 

Attendees[edit]

·         Phil Odence, Black Duck/Synopsys

·         Adrian Digli, Microsoft

·         Steve Lasker, Microsoft

·         Sebastian Crane

·         Steve Winslow, Boston Technology Law

·         Dick Brooks, REA

·         Rich Steenwyk, GE Healthcare

·         Annie

·         Brad Goldring, GTC

·         Jeff Schutt, Cisco

·         David Edelsohn, IBM

·         Jilayne Lovejoy, Red Hat

·         Aveek Basu, NextMark Printers

·         Marc Gisi, Windriver

·         Gary O’Neall, SourceAuditor

·         Philippe Ombrédanne- nexB

·         Dick Brooks

·         Alex Rybek

·         Brend Smits, Philips

·         Christopher Lusk, Lenovo

·         Christopher Phillips

·         Fellow Jitser

·         Jilayne Lovejoy, Red Hat

·         Mashid

·         Kendra Morton

·         Marco

·         Majira

·         Michael Herzog- nexB

·         Mike Nemmers

·         Molly Menoni

·         Paul Madick, Jenzabar

·         Rose Judge, VMWare

·         Vicky Brasseur, Wipro

 


Re: SPDX Company Membership

Dick Brooks
 

Phil,

 

               I just checked on REA’s LF membership status and it appears the lowest cost tier is $5,000 to become a LF member. Please confirm my understanding is correct that $5,000 is the lowest cost membership fee available.

 

 

From: spdx@... <spdx@...> On Behalf Of Phil Odence via lists.spdx.org
Sent: Thursday, December 2, 2021 3:04 PM
To: SPDX-general <spdx@...>
Subject: [spdx] SPDX Company Membership

 

Dear SPDX community,

 

With the adoption of the new project governance model for SPDX in September, one new aspect of the updated structure is the introduction of the ability for companies and other organizations to become official members of the project.

 

We have been working with the Linux Foundation for them to configure their membership enrollment platform for SPDX. Now that this has been completed, we're happy to announce that organizations can begin signing up as members of SPDX.

 

As a reminder, organizational membership in SPDX is not required in order for anyone to contribute to or participate in the technical development of SPDX. All of SPDX's code and specification development is open to anyone to participate in, whether or not their organization is a formal SPDX member -- same as always.

 

Membership Benefits

 

Membership in SPDX enables an organization to have their logo displayed on the project website and materials to indicate their status as a "member" of the project, and to identify them as such.

 

Additionally, with the governance change, the SPDX Steering Committee will be expanded to include up to two individuals selected as Member Representatives (see Section 2 of the Governance document). Each organization that is a member of SPDX may nominate one person from their organization as a candidate for selection

 

Organizations that become members of SPDX within the first four months following December 1, 2021, may make a nomination for the initial selection of Member Representatives during that four-month time period. After April 1, 2022, the Steering Committee will choose the Member Representatives from among the nominees. We will send updated details about this to the then-current members as the deadline approaches. The terms for all Steering Committee members, as specified in Section 2 of the Governance document, will begin on May 1, 2022.

 

Signing up

 

Project membership in SPDX itself is available at no charge; however, an organization must be a member of The Linux Foundation (which may include fees for your organization) in order to become a member.

 

In order to become a member, go to https://enrollment.lfx.linuxfoundation.org/?project=spdx to begin the signup process. If your organization is not already an LF member, the LF membership agreement sign-up and billing will be included as part of the process.

 

(Please note that the membership enrollment system may still ask for billing information, even if your organization is already an LF member and you are only signing up for SPDX membership.)

 

Please let us know if you or your organization have any questions about becoming a member of SPDX.

 

SPDX Steering Committee

Phil, Kate, Gary, Jilayne, Steve, Paul and Jack

 

 


SPDX Company Membership

Phil Odence
 

Dear SPDX community,

 

With the adoption of the new project governance model for SPDX in September, one new aspect of the updated structure is the introduction of the ability for companies and other organizations to become official members of the project.

 

We have been working with the Linux Foundation for them to configure their membership enrollment platform for SPDX. Now that this has been completed, we're happy to announce that organizations can begin signing up as members of SPDX.

 

As a reminder, organizational membership in SPDX is not required in order for anyone to contribute to or participate in the technical development of SPDX. All of SPDX's code and specification development is open to anyone to participate in, whether or not their organization is a formal SPDX member -- same as always.

 

Membership Benefits

 

Membership in SPDX enables an organization to have their logo displayed on the project website and materials to indicate their status as a "member" of the project, and to identify them as such.

 

Additionally, with the governance change, the SPDX Steering Committee will be expanded to include up to two individuals selected as Member Representatives (see Section 2 of the Governance document). Each organization that is a member of SPDX may nominate one person from their organization as a candidate for selection

 

Organizations that become members of SPDX within the first four months following December 1, 2021, may make a nomination for the initial selection of Member Representatives during that four-month time period. After April 1, 2022, the Steering Committee will choose the Member Representatives from among the nominees. We will send updated details about this to the then-current members as the deadline approaches. The terms for all Steering Committee members, as specified in Section 2 of the Governance document, will begin on May 1, 2022.

 

Signing up

 

Project membership in SPDX itself is available at no charge; however, an organization must be a member of The Linux Foundation (which may include fees for your organization) in order to become a member.

 

In order to become a member, go to https://enrollment.lfx.linuxfoundation.org/?project=spdx to begin the signup process. If your organization is not already an LF member, the LF membership agreement sign-up and billing will be included as part of the process.

 

(Please note that the membership enrollment system may still ask for billing information, even if your organization is already an LF member and you are only signing up for SPDX membership.)

 

Please let us know if you or your organization have any questions about becoming a member of SPDX.

 

SPDX Steering Committee

Phil, Kate, Gary, Jilayne, Steve, Paul and Jack

 

 


SPDX Outreach Team report for December General Meeting

Sebastian Crane
 

Dear all,

Since we didn't have time at the SPDX General Meeting today for the
usual team reports, I'm writing to send the Outreach Team's report in
textual form! Feel free to reply if you have any questions about the
activities of the SPDX Outreach Team, or would like to be involved.

Best wishes,

Sebastian

-----

# Wikipedia article

We've added a version history section to the article at
https://wikipedia.org/wiki/Software_Package_Data_Exchange with a
version table and explanatory paragraphs (as is the format used in
articles for a lot of other open source projects). Plus, the
disambiguation link that said 'license documentation standard' now
says 'software bill of materials standard'.

Here are a couple of 'perma-links' to the before and after states of
the article:

* Before:
https://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=Software_Package_Data_Exchange&oldid=1053739112
* After:
https://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=Software_Package_Data_Exchange&direction=next&oldid=1058145243

# SBOM Landscape page

At the most recent Outreach Team meeting, we discussed various
categories and taxonomies that could be used in the SBOM Landscape
page we are developing at: https://github.com/spdx/sbom-landscape

We'll be trying to form 'neighbourhoods' of related use-cases such as
attestation, automation etc.

The automated tests for the page are still failing, but builds seem to
work correctly so can continue work on it.

We now have Syft, OSS Review Toolkit, REUSE and Tern listed on the
SBOM Landscape page, and will be adding more in the coming weeks!

# SPDX Podcast

Joshua Marpet has resolved the audio issues, meaning that we can start
recording podcast episodes again.

Joshua is working on an episode with the SPDX Asia Team.

# 'SPDX Ambassadors'

Vicky Brasseur suggested that having an ambassadors programme would be
a good idea, so we are exploring the possibility of having contact
details of SPDX Ambassadors on our main website. This will help
newcomers to quickly contact representatives of SPDX.

# Replicant

I have been in correspondence with a steering committee member of the
Replicant project. Replicant aims to replace proprietary components in
Android, and are looking to improve their source code license
scanning. SPDX SBOMs could be useful in reducing unnecessary
repetition of audits here.

# FOSSLight

We have had good interaction with the developers of FOSSLight, an open
source license scanner from Logitech. Gary O'Neall and I have been
proactively examining SPDX-related failures in order to help them with
their use of the SPDX Java libraries.

FOSSLight is a top priority for addition to the spdx.dev Open Source
Tools page, as well as the SBOM Landscape!

-----


Thursday's SPDX General Meeting Reminder

Phil Odence
 

Hello, all, looking forward to seeing you Thursday.

Note, we’ll have guest presentation from Microsoft on what they are doing with SPDX.

Best,

Phil

 

GENERAL MEETING

 

Meeting Time: Thurs, Dec 2, 8am PT / 10 am CT / 11am ET / 15:00 UTC. http://www.timeanddate.com/worldclock/converter.html


Conf call dial-in:

Join the meeting:
https://meet.jit.si/SPDXGeneralMeeting

To join by phone instead, tap this: +1.512.647.1431,,1310118349#

Looking for a different dial-in number?
See meeting dial-in numbers: 
https://meet.jit.si/static/dialInInfo.html?room=SPDXGeneralMeeting


If also dialing-in through a room phone, join without connecting to audio: 
https://meet.jit.si/SPDXGeneralMeeting#config.startSilent=true

 

Administrative Agenda

Attendance

Minutes Approval https://wiki.spdx.org/view/General_Meeting/Minutes/2021-11-04

 

Brief update on governance and membership process - Phil

 

Presentation

Microsoft and SPDX

·  Microsoft standardizing on SPDX [Adrian Giglio]

·  MCR Distributing SPDX SBoMs for Microsoft content [Steve Lasker]

 

 

Technical Team Report – Kate/Gary/Others

  • Specification and Profiles
    • Overview
    • Core
    • Legal
    • Integrity
    • Defects
    • Usage and Other Emerging
  • Tooling

 

Legal Team Report – Jilayne/Paul/Steve

 

Outreach/Website Team Report – Jack 

  


OpenChain Automation Case Study #5 - Running a Supply Chain using open source tooling + SPDX

 

Recording now available. Part #5 explores how SPDX ISO/IEC 5962 works as a Software Bill of Materials (SBOM) in the supply chain through existing open source tooling for open source compliance.
https://www.openchainproject.org/news/2021/11/24/automation-case-study-5

Check out the entire case study here:
https://www.openchainproject.org/automation-case-study

Huge thanks to Maximilian Huber at TNG for running this webinar.

Regards

Shane


Shane Coughlan
General Manager, OpenChain
e: scoughlan@linuxfoundation.org
p: +81 (0) 80 4035 8083
w: www.linuxfoundation.org

Schedule a call:
https://meetings.hubspot.com/scoughlan

21 - 40 of 1520