Date   

License List spreadsheet v1.1

Jilayne Lovejoy <Jlovejoy@...>
 

Hello All,

 

Attached is a first run at the license list info in a spreadsheet format as Kate mentioned below.  I also included a word document with some explanations, "guidelines" I made up as I went along, and issues or questions I noticed.  There are also some specific comments within the spreadsheet cells.  

 

I didn't add too many more licenses, although I think we will need to add some.  I wanted to take some time to identify other licenses not on the list that I have come across most often during audits, as perhaps others in the group can do as well. 

 

Cheers,

Jilayne Lovejoy

 

 

 


From: spdx-bounces@... [mailto:spdx-bounces@...] On Behalf Of Tom Incorvia
Sent: Tuesday, October 19, 2010 8:41 AM
To: kate.stewart@...; spdx@...
Subject: RE: spec is back in WIKI format again,,,

 

Hi Kate, I will be glad to give the license information spreadsheet a good review when it is available (or review an interim document).  Tom

 

Tom Incorvia

tom.incorvia@...

Direct:  (512) 340-1336

Mobile: (408) 499 6850

From: spdx-bounces@... [mailto:spdx-bounces@...] On Behalf Of kate.stewart@...
Sent: Tuesday, October 19, 2010 9:32 AM
To: spdx@...
Subject: spec is back in WIKI format again,,,

 


Just to let you know that the spec is now back in WIKI form, and open again for questions and comments to be posted in it.  It is now broken down into one page per section from the SPEC so, scope of change/editing isn't as daunting ;)

see:  http://www.spdx.org/spec/current

Caveats:
  - A couple of the line breaks are still not ideal, and I'll finish the cleanup as time permits.
  - The license information is being revised into a spreadsheet, so we can generate the per license WIKI pages easily (from Callaway's proposal),  there should be a separate email coming out shortly with the list as it stands, for further review.  Ignore what's in Appendix I for now.

Thanks for your patience,   Kate

Kate

 

Click here to report this email as spam.

This message has been scanned for viruses by MailController.


Re: License List spreadsheet v1.1

Tom Incorvia
 

Hi Jilayne,

 

Thanks for working on this.  I have been traveling, so hopefully I am not too far behind the conversations.

 

Here are a few very minor things:

 

 

-          I agree that we should use “Apache” as the short name

-          There is a comma in license full name “ISC License (Bind, DHCP Server)”

-          Regarding the entry GNU Library or "Lesser" General Public License v2 or v2.1 only”, I agree that this entry should be removed, and we should have a 2.0 or later; and a separate 2.1 or later as you recommend. 

-          On the Nethack GPL, the 3.4.3 specification actually refers to the program rather than the license – there is no suffix for the Nethack license

-          The Python license may have versions – I am not certain -- they take the time to restate the license with each release – however, I comparisons of some of the “official licenses” and they were the same.  Anyway, we will need to dig into Python a bit in terms of versioning and relationship to CNRI – I don’t have the bandwidth for this right now, but hopefully there is someone on the team who is deep into Python licensing

 

Tom

 

Tom Incorvia

tom.incorvia@...

Direct:  (512) 340-1336

Mobile: (408) 499 6850

From: Jilayne Lovejoy [mailto:Jlovejoy@...]
Sent: Tuesday, October 19, 2010 11:23 AM
To: Tom Incorvia; kate.stewart@...; spdx@...
Subject: License List spreadsheet v1.1

 

Hello All,

 

Attached is a first run at the license list info in a spreadsheet format as Kate mentioned below.  I also included a word document with some explanations, "guidelines" I made up as I went along, and issues or questions I noticed.  There are also some specific comments within the spreadsheet cells.  

 

I didn't add too many more licenses, although I think we will need to add some.  I wanted to take some time to identify other licenses not on the list that I have come across most often during audits, as perhaps others in the group can do as well. 

 

Cheers,

Jilayne Lovejoy

 

 

 


From: spdx-bounces@... [mailto:spdx-bounces@...] On Behalf Of Tom Incorvia
Sent: Tuesday, October 19, 2010 8:41 AM
To: kate.stewart@...; spdx@...
Subject: RE: spec is back in WIKI format again,,,

 

Hi Kate, I will be glad to give the license information spreadsheet a good review when it is available (or review an interim document).  Tom

 

Tom Incorvia

tom.incorvia@...

Direct:  (512) 340-1336

Mobile: (408) 499 6850

From: spdx-bounces@... [mailto:spdx-bounces@...] On Behalf Of kate.stewart@...
Sent: Tuesday, October 19, 2010 9:32 AM
To: spdx@...
Subject: spec is back in WIKI format again,,,

 


Just to let you know that the spec is now back in WIKI form, and open again for questions and comments to be posted in it.  It is now broken down into one page per section from the SPEC so, scope of change/editing isn't as daunting ;)

see:  http://www.spdx.org/spec/current

Caveats:
  - A couple of the line breaks are still not ideal, and I'll finish the cleanup as time permits.
  - The license information is being revised into a spreadsheet, so we can generate the per license WIKI pages easily (from Callaway's proposal),  there should be a separate email coming out shortly with the list as it stands, for further review.  Ignore what's in Appendix I for now.

Thanks for your patience,   Kate

Kate

 

Click here to report this email as spam.

This message has been scanned for viruses by MailController.


Re: License List spreadsheet v1.1

Tom "spot" Callaway
 

On 10/20/2010 02:56 PM, Tom Incorvia wrote:
- The Python license may have versions – I am not certain --
they take the time to restate the license with each release – however, I
comparisons of some of the “official licenses” and they were the same.
Anyway, we will need to dig into Python a bit in terms of versioning and
relationship to CNRI – I don’t have the bandwidth for this right now,
but hopefully there is someone on the team who is deep into Python licensing
To the best of my understanding, there have been several different
Python license versions, but the licenses are self-superseding, in that
as new versions arrive, they automatically apply.

~tom


SPDX Oct 21 call

Philip Odence
 

Last week's meeting was out of the normal every 2 weeks rhythm, and we are now back on normal schedule. The call is Oct 21 at 8am PDT/11AM EDT/15:00 UTC.

Once again, I apologize in advance for missing, but I have a Board meeting that's been scheduled since the beginning of the year. Kate will ably host and will provide an agenda at the beginning of the meeting. 
We will not have a webshare for this one. Dial in:
Conf call dial-in:
Conference code:  7812589502
Toll-free dial-in number (U.S. and Canada):  (877) 435-0230
International dial-in number: (253) 336-6732
For those dialing in from other regions, a list of toll free numbers can be found: 
https://www.intercallonline.com/portlets/scheduling/viewNumbers/viewNumber.do?ownerNumber=6053870&audioType=RP&viewGa=false&ga=OFF

She will post the minutes from the Oct 14 meeting at: http://www.spdx.org/wiki/spdx-meeting-minutes

Thanks for your understanding.

Best regards,
Phil

L. Philip Odence
Vice President of Business Development
Black Duck Software, inc.
265 Winter Street, Waltham, MA 02451
Phone: 781.810.1819, Mobile: 781.258.9502


Reminder: SPDX meeting Oct 21 at 8am PDT/11AM EDT/15:00 UTC

kate.stewart@...
 


Details for the call will be:
Toll-free dial-in number (U.S. and Canada): (877) 435-0230
International dial-in number: (253) 336-6732
Conference code: 7812589502

For those dialing in from other regions, a list of toll free numbers can be found: https://www.intercallonline.com/portlets/scheduling/viewNumbers/viewNumber.do?ownerNumber=6053870&audioType=RP&viewGa=false&ga=OFF

Agenda
* Outreach and evangelism:
  - Industry Venues – PhilR
  - Website – MartinM
* Legal Update - Rockett
  - SPDX file contents license
  - Trademark
* Roll Out Update - KimW/JohnE
* Licensing Subgroup Update - Jilayne
* RDF Subgroup Update - Peter/Kate
* Spec Update - Kate
  - 3.3 - changing field from SHA of tarball to XOR of file level SHAs.
  - 5.6/5.7 - discussion of mail list threads - clarification of proposals?


Action Items
* Kate- Transfer document (.pdf) back to WIKI - DONE.
* Kim- Clean up the sharing analysis to what is accurate.
* JeffL/Dave M- Update zlib based on new specification
* RDF Group- Work out syntax for 5.6/5.7 - Need clarity on mail list proposals
* Kate- Track and implement changes described in Spec from maillist - IN PROGRESS.
* Kate - submit ids to Linux Foundation so infrastructure setup can proceed
* PeterW- Implement issue tracking system with Linux Foundation infrastructure.
* Phil R- Update Industry Events.
* Kate- Draft example for LF Member Counsel; include XML and corresponding spreadsheet (or spreadsheet-like) format.
* Kim - list of questions from Open World Forum to form start of FAQ
* Kim - slides from OWF made available
* Kate - 10/14 minutes to be added to WIKI for review.


Re: License List spreadsheet v1.1

Tom Incorvia
 

FYI, I did a compare of Python 3.2 LICENSE to the much earlier 2.0.1 AFTER removing the history information – so the compare started with the statement “TERMS AND CONDITIONS FOR ACCESSING OR OTHERWISE USING PYTHON”. 

 

The licenses are the same other than adding to the list of copyright years and changing the title “CWI PERMISSIONS STATEMENT AND DISCLAIMER” TO “CWI LICENSE AGREEMENT FOR PYTHON 0.9.0 THROUGH 1.2”.  I have attached the compare.

 

I also noticed that the license link for particular versions of the Python software don’t always match.  For instance the link http://www.python.org/download/releases/2.4.6/license/ links to a license titled 2.4.4 license.  Similarly the URL for 3.0.1 points to a license titled 2.6.1.  There are others.

 

Between versions 2.4.4 and 2.5 “Version 2” is added to the license.  But the changes continue to be limited to extensions of the copyright years.

 

I believe that the discrete licenses are:

 

-          CWI LICENSE AGREEMENT FOR PYTHON 0.9.0 THROUGH 1.2

-          CNRI LICENSE AGREEMENT FOR PYTHON 1.6.1

-          Python Version 1 (Covers Python after 1.6.1 and prior to 2.5)

-          Python Version 2 (Covers Python 2.5 and after)

 

Tom W, what do you think – some of the specificity in versions and release is removed as the licenses get newer.  I have not looked for language re self-superseding.

 

Thanks,

 

Tom

 

Tom Incorvia

tom.incorvia@...

Direct:  (512) 340-1336

Mobile: (408) 499 6850

 

-----Original Message-----
From: Tom "spot" Callaway [mailto:tcallawa@...]
Sent: Wednesday, October 20, 2010 2:03 PM
To: Tom Incorvia
Cc: Jilayne Lovejoy; kate.stewart@...; spdx@...
Subject: Re: License List spreadsheet v1.1

 

On 10/20/2010 02:56 PM, Tom Incorvia wrote:

> -          The Python license may have versions – I am not certain --

> they take the time to restate the license with each release – however, I

> comparisons of some of the “official licenses” and they were the same.

> Anyway, we will need to dig into Python a bit in terms of versioning and

> relationship to CNRI – I don’t have the bandwidth for this right now,

> but hopefully there is someone on the team who is deep into Python licensing

 

To the best of my understanding, there have been several different

Python license versions, but the licenses are self-superseding, in that

as new versions arrive, they automatically apply.

 

~tom

 

 

This message has been scanned for viruses by MailController - www.MailController.altohiway.com


License Review Meeting

Kim Weins
 

9:00 AM - 10:00 AM November 12, 2010
Location: Dial in below

We will review the license list and address issues.


US  866-740-1260
Int'l  http://www.readytalk.com/support/international-numbers.php

ID 2404502

Web Meeting
Www.readytalk.com
ID 2404502


Kim's slides from OWF

Martin Michlmayr
 

As requested, I've uploaded Kim's slides from Open World Forum:
http://spdx.org/system/files/kim_weins-spdx.pdf

--
Martin Michlmayr
Open Source Program Office, Hewlett-Packard


File origin info proposals

Peter Williams <peter.williams@...>
 

The proposals for surfacing information regarding the origin a files are

* <http://www.spdx.org/wiki/proposal-2010-10-21-2-file-origin> : Two new properties of File that store the name and URL of the origin project of the file
* <http://www.spdx.org/wiki/proposal-2010-10-21-3-artifactof> : A new (repeatable) property storing a description of a project of which this file is an artifact.

We need to decide between them.

Peter Williams
<http://openlogic.com>


Proposals wiki page

Peter Williams <peter.williams@...>
 

I created a page in the wiki to list spec change proposals, <http://www.spdx.org/wiki/proposals>. New proposal should be added to this list when they are created. Once we get an issue tracker up and running, this will probably go away. Until then it should help us keep track of the active proposals.

Can someone with more privileges add it to the link list on <http://www.spdx.org/wiki/spdx/spec-development>.

Peter Williams
<http://openlogic.com>


SPDX RDF Sub-group Mtg 8 concall / gotomeeting details

Bill Schineller
 

Today's call dial-in details:

SPDX RDF Sub-group Mtg 8
(TODAY) Tuesday October 26, 11AM eastern time

Toll-free dial-in number (U.S. and Canada): (877) 435-0230
International dial-in number: (253) 336-6732
Conference code: 7833942033

URL to join meeting:
http://blackducksoftware.na6.acrobat.com/r13794172/

Bill Schineller
Knowledge Base Manager
Black Duck Software Inc.
T: +1.781.810.1829
F: +1.781.891.5145
E: bschineller@...
http://www.blackducksoftware.com


Nov 4 SPDX Call Agenda

Philip Odence
 

Meeting Time: Nov4, 8am PDT / 10 am CDT / 11am EDT / 15:00 UTC. NOTE THAT EUROPE HAS TURNED CLOCKS BACK TO STD TIME, BUT THE US HAS NOT YET, SO THE TIME DIFF FROM US TO EUROPE IS 1 HR LESS THAN NORMAL. http://www.timeanddate.com/worldclock/converter.html

Conf call dial-in:
Conference code:  7812589502
Toll-free dial-in number (U.S. and Canada):  (877) 435-0230
International dial-in number: (253) 336-6732
For those dialing in from other regions, a list of toll free numbers can be found: 
https://www.intercallonline.com/portlets/scheduling/viewNumbers/viewNumber.do?ownerNumber=6053870&audioType=RP&viewGa=false&ga=OFF
Web:
Note, we will be using a different URL for each meeting for purposes of taking attendance. When you login PLEASE INCLUDE YOUR FULL NAME IN THIS FORM: Phil Odence, Black Duck Software so I can just copy/paste into minutes. THX.


Administrative Agenda
Attendance
Outreach and evangelism:
Common Messaging/Presentation – PhilO
Industry Venues – PhilR
Website – PhilO/Martin
Roll Out Update - KimW/JohnE
Legal Update - Rockett
 
Action Items
Note: Drafting related action items are embedded in the Wiki. http://www.spdx.org/wiki/spdx/specification
• Dave - Clean up the WIKI to only have analysis visible that reflects current spec.  IN PROCESS
• Dave/JeffL - Update zlib based on new specification  IN PROCESS
• Peter - Mail out competing proposals for 5.6/5.7  IN PROCESS
• PeterW- Implement issue tracking system.  BLOCKED ON KATE
• Kate - submit ids to Linux Foundation so infrastructure setup can proceed - pending.
• Kate- Draft example for LF Member Counsel; include XML and corresponding spreadsheet (or spreadsheet-like) format. peinding
• Kim - list of questions from Open World Forum to form start of FAQ  - pending - will send mail to list with questions remembered,  request Phillipe O, add comments.
• Phil R - Update Industry Events.
• Kate - 10/14 minutes to be added to WIKI for review. - IN PROCESS.
• Bill S - Send Martin some examples of issue posting HTML.
• Rockett- Mail out trademark policy draft to SPDX list.
• Rockett- Query status of trademark application
• Kim- Update of plans for Face to Face
• Kim- Send out invite for next licensing meeting.
• All- Review 6 months mail and contrast against licensing group spreadsheet
• Peter- Write up formal proposals for 5.6/5.7 issue alternatives and mail to list.
• All- If you can't attend meeting, post feedback/vote to list on 5.6/5.7 proposals.
• Kate- Write up formal proposal on SHA field change and mail to list.
• All- Review SHA field change proposal for technical flaws; if so, discuss on list.
• Kate- Add back to SPEC page in WIKI preferred syntax for adding comments.

Technical Agenda
Well just be reviewing action items this meeting.


L. Philip Odence
Vice President of Business Development
Black Duck Software, inc.
265 Winter Street, Waltham, MA 02451
Phone: 781.810.1819, Mobile: 781.258.9502


Web for call

Philip Odence
 

Big power outage in the Black Duck neighborhood so I may not be able to start up the web session. I'll be on my cell phone for the audio part. Please try to log in but don't be surprised if it doesn't work.


Update from OWF

Kim Weins
 

Sorry this is a little late, although I shared some of this data on previous calls.

The SPDX presentation at OWF went well.  We had about 40 people or so, and most of them stayed an hour over the allotted time to discuss.  There was a lot of interest and positive feedback on the whole idea of SPDX.  Much of the discussion centered around some of the challenges we might face when it rolls out.

The issues raised were mostly around whether this would be harder/easier for the OSS communities and Linux distros to produce an SPDX file for their projects.  We talked about the need for tooling to help automate this.  We also said that usage may start with companies who then start using SPDX files with their supply chains.  That in turn may incent OSS communities to adopt SPDX.

There was also some discussion about the issue of SPDX files becoming “out of date” as soon as any change was made to the underlying code or anytime there was a new release.  We pointed out that information in the SPDX file could stay the same for many files, assuming that not all files in the distro had changed.

Martin & Phillipe Ombredanne may be able to add to this.

Kim


Kim Weins | Senior Vice President, Marketing
kim.weins@...
Follow me on Twitter @KimAtOpenLogic

650 279 0410 | cell
www.openlogic.com
Follow OpenLogic on Twitter @OpenLogic

OpenLogic, Inc.
Headquarters, Broomfield, Colorado





updated license list

Jilayne Lovejoy <Jlovejoy@...>
 

Here is the next version of the license list (v1.2) that includes the license text and some other changes discussed via email.  I also updated the “guidelines” document and listed any changes in this spreadsheet over License List v1.1 there.

 

Jilayne Lovejoy  |  Corporate Counsel

jlovejoy@...

 

720 240 4545  |  phone

720 240 4556  |  fax

1 888 OpenLogic  |  toll free

www.openlogic.com

 

OpenLogic, Inc.

Headquarters, Broomfield, Colorado 80021

 


Re: updated license list

Bruno Cornec <Bruno.Cornec@...>
 

Hello,

Jilayne Lovejoy said on Thu, Nov 04, 2010 at 09:19:54AM -0600:

Here is the next version of the license list (v1.2) that includes the
license text and some other changes discussed via email. I also updated
the "guidelines" document and listed any changes in this spreadsheet
over License List v1.1 there.
I think there is a problem line 32 of the LicenseList v1.2 file:
Column A mentions version 1.0 wheresas column B says 3.0.

I wonder if there shouldn't be a mention of the GFDL in this file as
well (with the multiple versions)? (CC are there)

Speaking of versions, I wonder whether there should'nt always be a
version mentioned, to support easily future revisions of the license not
having multiple version yet.

For dates, wouldn't it be more interesting (wrt sort, ...) to use the
ISO format: 2010-11-04 instead of the European one, which may be
confusing for non-european people.

HTH,
Bruno.
--
Open Source & Linux Profession Lead EMEA / http://opensource.hp.com
HP/Intel/Red Hat Open Source Solutions Initiative / http://www.hpintelco.net
http://www.HyPer-Linux.org http://mondorescue.org http://project-builder.org
La musique ancienne? http://www.musique-ancienne.org http://www.medieval.org


Python licenses

Jilayne Lovejoy <Jlovejoy@...>
 

I agree these licenses are a bit redundant seeming and not well differentiated.  However, I think when a license has been approved by the OSI, we need to just stick with the license name they use.  Although Tom’s list here is better than what we see “in the field,” I don’t think we should include which versions of the software the license covers (not sure if that is what you were suggesting, anyway).  

 

I have updated the License List (from this morning) to have the two python OSI-approved licenses and checked that the license name listed matches the name OSI uses.  If someone thinks the other iterations need to be added, let me know.  

 

Jilayne

 


From: Tom Incorvia [mailto:tom.incorvia@...]
Sent: Thursday, October 21, 2010 8:51 AM
To: Tom "spot" Callaway
Cc: Jilayne Lovejoy; kate.stewart@...; spdx@...
Subject: RE: License List spreadsheet v1.1

 

FYI, I did a compare of Python 3.2 LICENSE to the much earlier 2.0.1 AFTER removing the history information – so the compare started with the statement “TERMS AND CONDITIONS FOR ACCESSING OR OTHERWISE USING PYTHON”. 

 

The licenses are the same other than adding to the list of copyright years and changing the title “CWI PERMISSIONS STATEMENT AND DISCLAIMER” TO “CWI LICENSE AGREEMENT FOR PYTHON 0.9.0 THROUGH 1.2”.  I have attached the compare.

 

I also noticed that the license link for particular versions of the Python software don’t always match.  For instance the link http://www.python.org/download/releases/2.4.6/license/ links to a license titled 2.4.4 license.  Similarly the URL for 3.0.1 points to a license titled 2.6.1.  There are others.

 

Between versions 2.4.4 and 2.5 “Version 2” is added to the license.  But the changes continue to be limited to extensions of the copyright years.

 

I believe that the discrete licenses are:

 

-          CWI LICENSE AGREEMENT FOR PYTHON 0.9.0 THROUGH 1.2

-          CNRI LICENSE AGREEMENT FOR PYTHON 1.6.1

-          Python Version 1 (Covers Python after 1.6.1 and prior to 2.5)

-          Python Version 2 (Covers Python 2.5 and after)

 

Tom W, what do you think – some of the specificity in versions and release is removed as the licenses get newer.  I have not looked for language re self-superseding.

 

Thanks,

 

Tom

 

Tom Incorvia

tom.incorvia@...

Direct:  (512) 340-1336

Mobile: (408) 499 6850

 

-----Original Message-----
From: Tom "spot" Callaway [mailto:tcallawa@...]
Sent: Wednesday, October 20, 2010 2:03 PM
To: Tom Incorvia
Cc: Jilayne Lovejoy; kate.stewart@...; spdx@...
Subject: Re: License List spreadsheet v1.1

 

On 10/20/2010 02:56 PM, Tom Incorvia wrote:

> -          The Python license may have versions – I am not certain --

> they take the time to restate the license with each release – however, I

> comparisons of some of the “official licenses” and they were the same.

> Anyway, we will need to dig into Python a bit in terms of versioning and

> relationship to CNRI – I don’t have the bandwidth for this right now,

> but hopefully there is someone on the team who is deep into Python licensing

 

To the best of my understanding, there have been several different

Python license versions, but the licenses are self-superseding, in that

as new versions arrive, they automatically apply.

 

~tom

 

 

This message has been scanned for viruses by MailController - www.MailController.altohiway.com


Re: updated license list

Jilayne Lovejoy <Jlovejoy@...>
 

See comments in ALL CAPS below. I will send an email when the latest
License List and Guidelines document has been uploaded to the Wiki so
everyone can just look at it there.

Jilayne

-----Original Message-----
From: spdx-bounces@... [mailto:spdx-bounces@...]
On Behalf Of Bruno Cornec
Sent: Thursday, November 04, 2010 9:30 AM
To: Jilayne Lovejoy
Cc: spdx@...
Subject: Re: updated license list

Hello,

Jilayne Lovejoy said on Thu, Nov 04, 2010 at 09:19:54AM -0600:

Here is the next version of the license list (v1.2) that includes the
license text and some other changes discussed via email. I also
updated
the "guidelines" document and listed any changes in this spreadsheet
over License List v1.1 there.
I think there is a problem line 32 of the LicenseList v1.2 file:
Column A mentions version 1.0 wheresas column B says 3.0.
--> FIXED (good eye!)

I wonder if there shouldn't be a mention of the GFDL in this file as
well (with the multiple versions)? (CC are there)
--> GOOD PONT - ADDED FDL v1.2 AS IT IS THE ONE I'VE SEEN USED MOST
OFTEN EVEN THOUGH THERE IS A MORE RECENT VERSION. HOWEVER, THIS SPEAKS
TO ONE OF THE "OUTSTANDING ISSUES" - THAT WE DO NOT HAVE OLDER VERSIONS
OF A BUNCH OF COMMON LICENSES... (SEE NEXT EMAIL)

Speaking of versions, I wonder whether there should'nt always be a
version mentioned, to support easily future revisions of the license not
having multiple version yet.
--> MANY LICENSES ARE ONE-OFFS AND MOST LIKELY WILL NOT HAVE A NEW
VERSION. IF THE LICENSE DOESN'T INCLUDE THIS IN ITS TITLE, I DON'T THINK
WE SHOULD ADD A VERSION NUMBER

For dates, wouldn't it be more interesting (wrt sort, ...) to use the
ISO format: 2010-11-04 instead of the European one, which may be
confusing for non-european people.
--> SO FAR THE DATE IS JUST INCLUDED AS PART OF THE TEXT FIELD FOR
"NOTES" ABOUT THE LICENSE, SO PROBABLY DOESN'T MATTER EITHER WAY BEYOND
WHATEVER IS GOING TO BE EASIEST TO READ. SOME LICENSES ONLY HAVE A
MONTH-YEAR FOR RELEASE DATE INSTEAD OF A FULL DATE IN CASE THAT'S A
CONSIDERATION

HTH,
Bruno.
--
Open Source & Linux Profession Lead EMEA /
http://opensource.hp.com
HP/Intel/Red Hat Open Source Solutions Initiative /
http://www.hpintelco.net
http://www.HyPer-Linux.org http://mondorescue.org
http://project-builder.org
La musique ancienne? http://www.musique-ancienne.org
http://www.medieval.org
_______________________________________________
Spdx mailing list
Spdx@...
https://fossbazaar.org/mailman/listinfo/spdx


License List v1.2 wiki page created

Jilayne Lovejoy <Jlovejoy@...>
 

Hi,

 

Okay, I uploaded the v1.2 spreadsheet and accompanying guidelines in a word doc as attachments to a new Wiki page here:  http://www.spdx.org/wiki/license-list-v12

 

Disregard my previous email this morning, as I did make a couple minor updates to the uploaded version (but did not rename).

 

Here are is the list particular things that need some form of resolution:

 

Outstanding Issues/Questions:

  • How exactly are we handling all the GPL/LGPL exceptions?
  • How do we want to handle LGPL/GPL “vXor later” versus LGPL/GPL vX?
  • Older versions – we don’t have Apache 1.1, EUPL v1.0, MPL v1.0, NPL v1.0, other OSL versions, AFL, etc.
    • Added Apache 1.1 as that is often still seen, but what about others?
  • See email Vol1, Issue 14 – list of licenses, does not match with this one – add to current?
  • Licenses with an alternative name or an associated project in parenthesis after the name – some of these need a determination and some may be superfluous, perhaps?  Can we come up with a “rule” for this?:
    • See ISC License (Bind, DHCP Server)
    • Lucent Public License v1.02 (Plan9)
    • MIT (also X11)
    • BSD licenses – currently include all naming variations “BSD 3-clause ‘New’ or ‘Revised’ License”  à seems like we should pick one naming protocol and stick with it, maybe putting the others in parenthesis or omitting??
  • X.Net License à this is really an LGPL notice + special exception - should we have it as a separate license?
  • Zlib/libpng License à note: this is the zlib license, but OSI calls it the zlib/libpng license.  Yet there is a different license for libpng:  see http://www.libpng.org/pub/png/src/libpng-LICENSE.txt
    • Why is “with acknowledgments” listed in “Recognized Exceptions” column?

 

 

Cheers,

 

Jilayne Lovejoy  |  Corporate Counsel

jlovejoy@...

 

720 240 4545  |  phone

720 240 4556  |  fax

1 888 OpenLogic  |  toll free

www.openlogic.com

 

OpenLogic, Inc.

Headquarters, Broomfield, Colorado 80021

 


Re: License List v1.2 wiki page created

Peter Williams <peter.williams@...>
 

On 11/4/10 11:15 AM, Jilayne Lovejoy wrote:

*Outstanding Issues/Questions:*

* How exactly are we handling all the GPL/LGPL exceptions?
We could just have a separate license for GPL+amendment for all the common exceptions. This fits the current license model pretty well. However, it means that an uncommon set of amendments would require a custom license declaration in SPDX file.

Another approach that might be to have a LicenseAmendment concept and allow a "composite" license to be defined as a base license plus a set of amendments. This feasible but would require a bit of work in the technical working group to nail down the specifics.

* How do we want to handle LGPL/GPL “vXor later” versus LGPL/GPL vX?
I think this should not be handled at license level. There is no such license as "GPL v2 or later". Rather, content is licensed under the disjunctive set of all GPL licenses with a version greater than or equal to 2.

If licenses expressed their version relationships using dc:isVersionOf and dc:replaces we could leverage that information. Using the version relationships we could define a version based disjunctive license set. This set would specify the minimum acceptable version of the license, e.g. GPLv2. A license would be considered to be part of such a set if it "replaces" and "isVersionOf", either directly or indirectly, the minimum acceptable version.

[snip]

* Licenses with an alternative name or an associated project in
parenthesis after the name – some of these need a determination
and some may be superfluous, perhaps? Can we come up with a “rule”
for this?:
o See ISC License (Bind, DHCP Server)
o Lucent Public License v1.02 (Plan9)
o MIT (also X11)
o BSD licenses – currently include all naming variations “BSD
3-clause ‘New’ or ‘Revised’ License” à seems like we should
pick one naming protocol and stick with it, maybe putting
the others in parenthesis or omitting??
We could quite easily support an arbitrary number of name for any particular license. Perhaps that would be easier than trying to settle on just one name for these licenses.

[snip]


Peter Williams
www.openlogic.com

141 - 160 of 1589