Philip Odence

General Meeting/Minutes/2014-09-04

  • Attendance: 6
  • Lead by Phil Odence
  • Minutes of Aug meeting approved

Tech Team Report - Kate

  • LinuxCon
    • Productive session
      • Resolve how to handle mapping between model and tag value for SPDX elements
      • ID’ed issues with relationship types and file types
        • Subsequently addressed in tech team meetings
        • May need to drop some use cases when things were not neat to represent
      • All recorded in GoogleDoc
    • Just as productive hallway conversations
      • About relationship issues
      • Fedora
        • Session on FOSS governance; TomC said that Red Hat was on hold for now
        • TC says they are aligned with unifying license names
        • Adoption waiting for upsteams
    • Interest in SPDX participation

Biz Team Report - Jack

  • Meeting last week
    • Mostly recapping LinuxCon
    • Open Chain participation
    • Need to get quotes for press release; will address at next week’s meeting

Legal Team Report - Jilayne

  • No update

Cross Functional Issues – Phil

Attendees

  • Phil Odence, Black Duck
  • Scott Sterling, Palamida
  • Kate Stewart, Linaro
  • Jack Manbeck, TI
  • Michael Herzog, nexB
  • Mark Gisi, Wind River

Thursday SPDX General Meeting

Philip Odence

Wow, I have to say that I’m shocked it’s that time again…

GENERAL MEETING

Meeting Time: Thurs, Sept 4, 8am PDT / 10 am CDT / 11am EDT / 15:00 UTC. http://www.timeanddate.com/worldclock/converter.html

Technical Team Report - Kate

Legal Team Report - Jilayne

Business Team Report – Jack

Cross Functional Issues – Phil

Re: Update: SPDX Meeting at LinuxCon North America - details enclosed

Manbeck, Jack

All,

Parlor F is a little tricky to find. It’s on the lobby level. Use the map but its tucked away in a corner in the executive center I think it’s called. By the gift shop.

Jack

From: Jilayne Lovejoy <opensource@...>
Date: Fri, 8 Aug 2014 17:46:44 -0600
To: SPDX-legal <spdx-legal@...>, SPDX-general <spdx@...>

[...]

J Lovejoy

[...]

Today's SPDX General Meeting Minutes

Philip Odence

Here they are:

L. Philip Odence
Vice President and General Manager
Black Duck
8 New England Executive Park, Suite 211, Burlington MA 01803
Phone: 781.810.1819, Mobile: 781.258.9502
Skype: philip.odence

General Meeting/Minutes/2014-08-07

  • Attendance: 7
  • Lead by Phil Odence
  • Minutes of June meeting approved

Biz Team Report - Jack

  • No meeting last week due to vacations

Legal Team Report - Jilayne

  • V1.20 is done
    • Should be posted within a couple days
    • Email will go out to describe changes
      • Large release with most of Fedora list added
      • 306 licenses, 91 new licenses including 81 from Fedora list
    • More uniformity in display
  • The is a question about the value of the Standard Header Field
    • Team will be floating question of whether we should deprecate

Tech Team Report - Gary

  • 2.0 Progress
    • Kate continuing drafting 2.0 spec
    • Gary has drafted the RDF-specific language, which has raised some issues.

Cross Functional Issues – Phil

  • LinuxCon
    • Looks like a solid group of 10 folks will meet in Chicago
    • Meetings will be Wedneday 9:30-3:30
  • Working with Apache
    • Slow progress
    • Trying to attach to group at Apache that would work with Gary on plugin for creating SPDX docs for Apache projects
    • Looks like the best path is to start up the plugin as an incubator project; we need to confirm a sponsor

Attendees

  • Phil Odence, Black Duck
  • Scott Sterling, Palamida
  • Jilanyne Lovejoy, ARM
  • Gary O'Neall, Source Auditor
  • Pierre LaPonte, nexB
  • Scott Lamons, HP
  • Mark Gisi, Wind River

SPDX General Meeting Thursday

Philip Odence

If you are planning to be at LinuxCon NA and have not let me know, please do so.
Thanks.

GENERAL MEETING

Meeting Time: Thurs, July 3, 8am PDT / 10 am CDT / 11am EDT / 15:00 UTC. http://www.timeanddate.com/worldclock/converter.html

Technical Team Report - Kate

Legal Team Report - Jilayne

Business Team Report – Jack

Cross Functional Issues – Phil

L. Philip Odence
Vice President and General Manager
Black Duck
8 New England Executive Park, Suite 211, Burlington MA 01803
Phone: 781.810.1819, Mobile: 781.258.9502
Skype: philip.odence

Re: CDDL-1.0 broken link

Philip Odence

And, by the way, this is some of the value of the SPDX license list. When
other URLs change or go away, you can still find the license at the
permanent SPDX URL.

Vice President and General Manager
Black Duck
8 New England Executive Park, Suite 211, Burlington MA 01803
Phone: 781.810.1819, Mobile: 781.258.9502
Skype: philip.odence
podence@...
http://www.blackducksoftware.com <http://www.blackducksoftware.com/>
http://twitter.com/podence
http://www.linkedin.com/in/podence

On 7/30/14, 7:08 AM, "J Lovejoy" <opensource@...> wrote:

Hi Vlada,

The SPDX-Legal team mailing list would be the exact proper place to
report anything having to do with the SPDX License List, but this will do
too!

The links in the url/source field on the SPDX License List do tend to
change from time to time and we try to keep them active, but staying on
top of that is not always entirely possible. For this particular
license, there is always the active link to the OSI site, so we can
probably remove the first link, since, as you point out, it no longer
takes one to the license.

SPDX Legal Team co-lead
opensource@...

On Jul 30, 2014, at 4:21 AM, Vladimír Čunát <vcunat@...> wrote:

Hi,

(I'm not sure this is the proper place to report; please, CC me in the
answers.)

the first link in http://spdx.org/licenses/CDDL-1.0 is broken, and it
looks like a permanent breakage.

Vlada

Re: CDDL-1.0 broken link

J Lovejoy

[...]

CDDL-1.0 broken link

Vladimír Čunát <vcunat@...>

Hi,

(I'm not sure this is the proper place to report; please, CC me in the answers.)

the first link in http://spdx.org/licenses/CDDL-1.0 is broken, and it looks like a permanent breakage.

Vlada

July General Meeting Minutes & IMPORTANT QUESTION

Philip Odence

Please reply (not Reply All) and let me know if you are attending or may be attending LinuxCon.
We will have a ~half day face to face meeting, still zeroing in on Wed or Thursday, and want to make sure we have a sense for who will be there.

General Meeting/Minutes/2014-07-03

  • Attendance: 8
  • Lead by Phil Odence
  • Minutes of June meeting approved

Biz Team Report - Jack

  • Still working on University participation
  • Still working on white papers
  • Website
    • What would you like to do with SPDX today website
    • Help wanted section
    • Wiki Meeting minutes summary pages- will file bug report
    • No update on website statistics
  • Still need to pick a date for the face to face at LinuxCon

Legal Team Report - Jilayne

  • Based on 2.0 being release being pushed to LC Europe
    • Decided to do interim LL is release
    • 80 new licenses
  • Exceptions will wait for 2.0
  • Make splash on SPDX list
    • Exploring announcemtn about Fedora list harmonization
  • Paul has taken a pass 2.0 changes for Website

Tech Team Report - Kate (wrote in)

  • work continues on spec. Have resolved the file types, file usage portions
    • Can describe how a file is used (Static/dynamic)
    • And file type
  • decision made to not include the RDF vocabulary in the SPEC going forward, Gary was having issues regenerating it in form suitable for inclusion, and prefers to go with a different tool in future. Spec will be the master and refer to a static version, that will be on web site.
    • SPDX.org/RDFterms
    • Previously copied into appendix
    • So will just link to from spec, remove appendix
    • RDF terms and licenses pages can’t change.
    • Jack will create wikipage that has ground rules for changing the website.

Cross Functional Issues – Phil

  • Working with Apache
    • Gary developed a Maven plugin to auto-generate an SPDX file
    • Getting some help from ASF members, but not a lot of pull
    • Now looking to attached to another group within Maven

Attendees

  • Phil Odence, Black Duck
  • Scott Sterling, Palamida
  • Jilanyne Lovejoy, ARM
  • Jack Manbeck, TI
  • Paul Madick, HP
  • Tom Incorvia, Microfocus
  • Gary O'Neall, Source Auditor
  • Pierre LaPonte, nexB

Re: Thursday SPDX General Meeting Reminder [license list info]

J Lovejoy

Hi Oliver,

Indeed, Phil is right - all are welcome!

In addition to the link Phil included below, there is also this page explaining when/how the license list inclusion guidelines came about: http://wiki.spdx.org/view/Legal_Team/Decisions/Inclusion_Guidelines_(Background)

We also started tracking the status of requests around the same time, which is on the wiki here: http://wiki.spdx.org/view/Legal_Team/Decisions/Inclusion_Guidelines_(Background)
Any discussion around a decision would be recorded in the relevant meeting minutes, but the best way to participate is of course to join the meetings, as meeting minutes often summarize any discussion.

SPDX Legal Team co-lead
opensource@...

On Jul 7, 2014, at 2:08 PM, Philip Odence <podence@...> wrote:

Oliver,
There are a number of people on the Legal Team who are not lawyers. We would welcome your participation.

From: "Fendt, Oliver" <oliver.fendt@...>
Date: Mon, 7 Jul 2014 10:27:21 +0000
To: Phil Odence <podence@...>, Kate Stewart <kate.stewart@...>, "spdx@..." <spdx@...>
Subject: AW: AW: Thursday SPDX General Meeting Reminder

Hi Phil,

thanks that would really help.
If it is not a requirement to be a lawyer, then I will be happy to participate in the legal team, as well as in the technical team.
You are right the time is sometimes a problem but also I understand your restrictions.

Best regards

Oliver

Oliver Fendt

Siemens AG
Corporate Technology
CT BE OP SWI OSS
Otto-Hahn-Ring 6
81739 München, Deutschland
From: "Fendt, Oliver" <oliver.fendt@...>
Date: Fri, 4 Jul 2014 08:26:25 +0000
To: Kate Stewart <kate.stewart@...>, Phil Odence <podence@...>, "spdx@..." <spdx@...>
Subject: AW: Thursday SPDX General Meeting Reminder

Hi all,
sorry for not being able to participate yesterday in the conf call.
I want to comment on one topic of the last minutes. The topic is:
o             Mikael delivered a workshop at Siemens
They didn't understand license request process
Mikael encouraged them to participate in SPDX  “

I want to thank Mikael for the presentation. He did a very well job and gave us an interesting talk although he had a flue.
In the Q&A part of his talk, I raised the point that at least for me the criteria a license has to fulfill to be accepted for inclusion in the SPDX® license list is not really transparent to me.
In the past I submitted several licenses, some were accepted and some not. That’s totally ok but and the reasons for not accepting those were not transparent to me, like “this is not really an Open Source license” although already some creative commons license instances are in the SPDX license list which are not compliant to the open source definition as well. Another license was not accepted because it has no version number.
When I raised the point to  Mikael I wanted to express that the process for submission is quite clear and we understand it, because it is well described. But it is not described what criteria are checked by the team in charge in order to decide whether the license will be included or not. It would really help (at least me) if these criteria are described because this would help me to save effort and submit in future only those which will meet al criteria.
I hope that the topic of the minutes is bit more clear now

regards
Oliver

Siemens AG
Corporate Technology