Date

Help Wanted for Successful Rollout of SPDX

Kim Weins

Hello Everyone,

The SPDX team is hard at  work on completing the spec and nailing down all of the license details.  To make sure we are successful in getting SPDX accepted and adopted, we are working on a rollout plan that will cover all of those “non-spec” items, including documentation, training, websites, beta program, marketing, etc.

There is a lot to do, so we will need your help and the help of others at your company.  Please review the attached slides, and let us know if you can help.  We are especially looking for the types of skills listed below – although don’t let it hold you back if this is not your “official” job title.  If you are willing to help, we can use you.  Keep in mind that your level of contribution can  vary — from a one time effort to a few hours a week.  If you, or someone at your company, can contribute time to help in any of these areas, please respond to either me or the mailing list and let me know what skills you have available and how much time you can spend.  We will start to put together our list of volunteers for the rollout team.

We are also planning a face to face meeting for the Rollout Team – tentatively scheduled for Nov 16-17 (Location TBD).  At this meeting we will be fleshing out the Rollout plan, assigning tasks, and planning milestones.  If you want to help with the Rollout, we’d love to have you attend.

Kim

Skills needed
Writing/Documentation
Website content/design
Training development
Marketing/Product marketing/Product management
Project management
Translation

Kim Weins | Senior Vice President, Marketing
kim.weins@...
Follow me on Twitter @KimAtOpenLogic

650 279 0410 | cell
www.openlogic.com
Follow OpenLogic on Twitter @OpenLogic

OpenLogic, Inc.
Headquarters, Broomfield, Colorado

Re: on license variability

dmg

On Fri, Sep 17, 2010 at 10:00 AM, Gary O'Neall <gary@...> wrote:
I agree with Tom’s comment – some of these are defined terms within the
license itself (e.g. in GPL 3.0, “The Program” has a specific definition),
so we should be careful about making these terms equivalent.  Whether these
words are equivalent may well depend on the specific license.

The main problem is that these terms are not really context free. If you see:

"This (program|library|software) is (release|made available) under the
GPL version 2", you will all probably agree that
they are equivalent.

But in general, they are not.

So I agree, they are context dependent.

--
--dmg

---
Daniel M. German
http://turingmachine.org

Re: on license variability

Mark Radcliffe

I agree, distribute and make available have very different legal implications. I also believe that licensed and released are not equivalent to distribute

From: D M German <dmg@...>
To: spdx@...
Date: Thursday, September 16, 2010, 1:13 PM

[...]

Redistribution and use in source and binary forms, with or
without

kate.stewart@...

[...]

ninka

dmg

Kim asked about Ninka. It is our license identification tool. It is
really a research prototype, but it works. It is particularly good at
not making mistakes, at the expense if not identifying the license of
some files.

For those of you interested in the issue of licenses, and how they
should be specified in SPDX, please read it. It is going to be presented
in few days at the International Conference in Automated Software
Engineering:

http://turingmachine.org/~dmg/papers/#sec-4_1_5

and if you are interested in the tool itself, you can download it here:

http://turingmachine.org/~dmg/temp/ninka-1.0-pre1.tar.bz2

--dmg

Daniel M. German
http://turingmachine.org/
http://silvernegative.com/
dmg (at) uvic (dot) ca
replace (at) with @ and (dot) with .

on license variability

dmg

[...]

Reminder: License Focus Call at 11am CDT (1600 UTC) for 30 minutes

kate.stewart@...

This should have gone out sooner so we may want to reschedule to ensure better attendance. I propose to have a quick call for those who are expecting it. For those who this note is catching off guard, I appologize, and will summarize and will propose another call later (with adequate warning).

Call details: at 12 noon (EDT) / 11am (CDT) / 16:00 UTC

Phil's dial in number:

Conference code: 7812589502
Toll-free dial-in number (U.S. and Canada): (877) 435-0230

Agenda:

see: https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/TomCallaway/SPDX_License_List

1) discuss how we want summary table structured - see proposals in link above, any others?

2) check there is concensus on the 1 page per license on SPDX approach, if not, who has alternate proposals.

3) volunteers to help with pulling the license list together in form above (based on what's in Appendix I today, and mail list input)? Then translate into the forms decided above.

(we may want to defer the following until wider audience has chance to participate)

4) logistics - process for accepting new license into list, pre 1.0 freeze, and then post.

5) what to carry in the SPDX spec, and what to carry on the web site?

anything else to add?

Kate

Re: format requirements inconsistency

kate.stewart@...

Hi Armijn,
Thanks for working through the spec, and finding the typo. ;)
All updates and corrections much appreciated.

In terms of the requirements, as more technical folk have started participating, that has been a growing request. You're right, its possible to do both, but it is suboptimal in some cases. If we can get tools and the support infrastructure created in an open source project, to demonstrate we can relax the human readable form requirement, and accomplish the readability goal, we can revist this requirement. Key is getting some prototype tools in place. Do you have bandwidth to help out with the tool creation? ;) Gary O'Neal's pretty printer is a good step in this direction.

The RDF call that Bill S. is hosting is where this is getting actively discussed. So we don't spam the legal and business folk on the maillist, we're thinking of setting a separate spdx technical maillist up as well so we can discuss the specifics a bit more. When its set up, we'll announce, and anyone interested is welcome to subscribe and contribute to the tools development and format decisions.

Kate