Date

Re: Planning for SPDX F2F mtg in Sept-Oct time frame - Details in wiki

Ibrahim Haddad <ibrahim@...>

Here's the link again - there may have been an error with the URL.

http://spdx.org/wiki/planning-face-face-meeting-september-october-2012

On Wed, Aug 15, 2012 at 10:50 AM, Ibrahim Haddad <ibrahim@...> wrote:
Hi All,
Just a reminder to review and provide feedback on the agenda for the face to face meeting (planned for oct/sept).
Also please sign your name on the dates you can attend the meeting.
Thank you,
Ibrahim

On Fri, Aug 10, 2012 at 4:44 PM, Ibrahim Haddad <ibrahim@...> wrote:
Hi Everyone,

I created a wiki page at http://spdx.org/wiki/planning-face-face-meeting-september-october-2012 that covers agenda items for F2F in the next two months, proposed dates, etc.

I think it is critical to have this F2F for various reasons explained in the link above.

It would be great if you can please find 10 minutes in your schedule to review, post feedback, sign yourself up for dates you can attend, etc.

Thank you,
Ibrahim

--
Ibrahim Haddad, Ph.D.
Director, Technology & Alliances

Ibrahim Haddad, Ph.D.
Director, Technology & Alliances

Ibrahim Haddad, Ph.D.
Director, Technology & Alliances
The Linux Foundation
+1 (408) 893-1122

[...]

Minutes for SPDX General Meeting on 9 Aug 2012

Manbeck, Jack

All,

Minutes for the meeting are posted here: http://www.spdx.org/wiki/20120809-general-meeting-minutes

Jack

Pierre Lapointe - +1 415 287 7643 - plapointe at nexb.com
nexB - Open by Design - http://www.nexb.com
https://twitter.com/#!/dejacode - https://www.facebook.com/nexB.Inc

On Mon, Aug 6, 2012 at 2:51 PM, Jilayne Lovejoy <jilayne.lovejoy@...> wrote:
Hi Ibrahim,

I believe we had a booth last year at LinuxCon and people signed up for time slots to staff it.  However, I was not there, so I can't speak to the specifics.   Seems like a good idea to me and I can probably spend some time there, although will have to figure out my availability.

Jilayne

From: Ibrahim Haddad <ibrahim@...>
Date: Monday, August 6, 2012 11:01 AM
To: SPDX-general <spdx@...>
Subject: SPDX Booth at LinuxCon NA

Hi All,

We have been reviewing our booth space for LinuxCon NA and there is a possibility to provide SPDX WG with
a standard table top. Would that work? Please confirm asap so we can plan for it.

Thanks,
Ibrahim

--
Ibrahim Haddad, Ph.D.
Director, Technology & Alliances

Re: SPDX Booth at LinuxCon NA

Ibrahim Haddad <ibrahim@...>

Sorry for an additional email on this. I was mistaken below. We actually need to deliver the layout / booth info to the venue tonight. It would be great if you can confirm by eod if you need the booth/table.
Thanks.

On Mon, Aug 6, 2012 at 9:43 PM, Ibrahim Haddad <ibrahim@...> wrote:
Hi Jilayne,

When I was on the general call I believe there were discussions about that and I did some pull inside to rearrange how things are setup. So now we have a space for SPDX. I need a confirmation please if SPDX will grab it or not as we need to send the layout to the venue by end of this week.

Thanks,
Ibrahim

From: Ibrahim Haddad <ibrahim@...>
Date: Monday, August 6, 2012 11:01 AM
To: SPDX-general <spdx@...>

[...]

Today's SPDX General Meeting

Philip Odence

Apologies, but I seem to have misplaced my notes from the last meeting and never posted the minutes. I'm truly baffled as I am generally pretty well organized along this dimension.

Meeting Time: July 12, 8am PST / 10 am CST / 11am EST / 15:00 UTC. http://www.timeanddate.com/worldclock/converter.html

Approve Minutes- http://www.spdx.org/wiki/20120712-general-meeting-minutes

Technical Team Report - Kate
Legal Team Report - Jilayne
Business Team Report – Jack/Scott

Cross Functional Issues
Linux Foundation Participation
Website Update

Minutes from July 19 SPDX Business Team Meeting

Lamons, Scott (Open Source Program Office) <scott.lamons@...>

Attendees:

Scott Lamons (host)

Gary O'Neall

Kamyar Emami

Phil Odence

Pierre Lapointe

Michael Herzog

Jilayne Lovejoy

Steve Cropper (joined later)

Agenda/Notes

1. Linuxcon (Panel, Working group meeting, 1.1 PR?)

SPDX Business panel will be on Thursday at 10:25am -- Scott will moderate, Kate, Jilayne, and Jack will represent the tech, legal, and biz teams.   Scott will be setting up a meeting in the next couple weeks to start planning the content and flow.

Working group meeting on Tuesday from 1-6pm will focus on 2.0.   The first hour will be reserved to provide an SPDX introduction and meet any new participants.    Scott will work with LF to get this posted to the website.

Press release for 1.1?   Consensus was that it's a good thing to do.   Review previous release for 1.0.    Scott will check with Amanda McPherson on logistics for putting this out via LF.   Things to include:  updates to the license list, matching guidelines, CCO in response to community input , tools?

2. Outreach Activities (Fossology, Open Compliance program, Other?)

Matt Germonprez at the University of Nebraska Omaha (UNO) and team are in the process of standing up a public instance of Fossology and they are forming a project to add SPDX functionality to Fossology.    Scott and Bob Goebille (Fossology architect) met with Matt to discuss their plans.   Bob is working with the team to resolve several issues.    Gary O'Neall and Kate Stewart offered their support as well.

LF considering assigning a program/project manager to SPDX.    FOSS barcode tracker (announced May 30) seems complementary to SPDX

Gary talked about target development/build tools such as Eclipse (e.g. an Eclipse plugin that wraps some of the existing tools).   Gary looking for some commitment from the Eclipse foundation.  Michael to reach out to Phillip at Eclipse.     Apache uses Eclipse.

3. Web update.

Plan is to switch to the new website over the weekend of 7/28.  Steve to send a message to the SPDX team as a heads up and coordintate with Martin.  If there are any major problems we can switch it back before Monday.

Re: Possible reasons new licenses aren't submitted

Bradley M. Kuhn <bkuhn@...>

Could you change the instructions to explicitly allow submission by
email? Thanks!
Jilayne Lovejoy wrote at 20:48 (PDT) on Wednesday:

It already did actually say this, but the wording was a bit awkward
and the email address was not hyper-linked, so I have fixed both.

-- bkuhn

Re: Possible reasons new licenses aren't submitted

Jilayne Lovejoy <jilayne.lovejoy@...>

Could you change the instructions to explicitly allow submission by
email? Thanks!
It already did actually say this, but the wording was a bit awkward and
the email address was not hyper-linked, so I have fixed both.

Jilayne

Re: Possible reasons new licenses aren't submitted

Bradley M. Kuhn <bkuhn@...>

I wrote:
GPL-2.0-with-GCC-exception from the list, and I didn't see any
instructions on SPDX's site on how to propose a comprehensive change
like that.
Jilayne Lovejoy wrote at 13:04 (PDT) on Friday:
We have endeavored to NOT remove licenses from the list once added. I
don't understand why you'd want to remove this? Isn't it possible to
still come across old versions (of any license) "in the wild?" (I know
I have.)
Can you show me examples of software packages that use
GPLv2-only-with-GCC-Exception? I'm amazed to learn that there's a
package that uses it. I believe it was mentioned earlier on this thread
that GCC doesn't even use that license.

Originally, the instructions just said to submit the information for
the license being suggested via email (including the license text).
But it was pointed out that some people may find the spreadsheet
easier as the fields could already be included for prompting and also
if one was submitting multiple licenses.
Could you change the instructions to explicitly allow submission by
email? Thanks!
--
-- bkuhn

Re: Possible reasons new licenses aren't submitted (was Re: Minutes from July 12 SPDX General Meeting)

Jilayne Lovejoy <jilayne.lovejoy@...>

On 7/13/12 1:32 PM, "Bradley M. Kuhn" <bkuhn@...> wrote:

Philip Odence wrote at 11:52 (EDT) on Thursday:
Suprisingly after all the recent discussion on the General Meerting
list about expanding the list, no one has submitted any more licenses.
FWIW, I looked at this possibility briefly. Upon reading
http://spdx.org/wiki/spdx-license-list-process-requesting-new-licenses-be-
added
I came to the conclusion that I couldn't easily submit any of the
licenses I was thinking of, such as GCC's license, which is effectively
GPLv3-or-later-with-GCC-RTLv3.1-or-later.

Mainly, it's tough to meet submission requirement (3). There's no URL
for that license. GCC RTL 3.1 has one URL, GPLv3 has another, but
what's the URL for the combo with appropriate -or-laters? There is
none.
If there is no url, then there is no url - just state this. However, in
this scenario, I would simply include the two you mention above. The
field need not have only one url (e.g. For licenses that are OSI approved,
I have included both the OSI link as well as the license author's link,
where found).

The SPDX list itself clearly
envisioned this fact, as things like "GPL-2.0-with-autoconf-exception"
already appear. But, those existing listings fail to account for how
the exceptions actually are used in real world programs, as discussed in
the threads over the last month.
As I thought was explained previously, there has already been several
discussions on the legal calls on how to best deal with the various GPL
exceptions. I don't think anyone would claim we have come up with the
best solution, and this has been something that has been recognized as
needing more discussion and work. Alternative proposals and a description
of how to implement are always encouraged (as well as help doing the
actual work...) - from anyone.

Thus, if I were to formally propose GCC's license, it'd have to be part
of a broader proposal I'd have to also propose removal of
GPL-2.0-with-GCC-exception from the list, and I didn't see any
instructions on SPDX's site on how to propose a comprehensive change
like that.
We have endeavored to NOT remove licenses from the list once added. I
don't understand why you'd want to remove this? Isn't it possible to
still come across old versions (of any license) "in the wild?" (I know I
have.) In fact, we have tried to make sure we captured all versions of
licenses on the list (with the exception of more work needing to be done
on capturing at least a majority of the GPL-exceptions, as already stated.)
In any case, any suggestion for which there is not a "formal" process can
simply go through this mailing list, as you have done :)

Finally, the (admittedly more of a pet-peeve) last straw that led me to
give up was I saw that I had to download and open a zip file
(http://spdx.org/system/files/spdx_license_list_v1.16.zip ) just to grab
a text version of the list, and that to make the submission, I had to
fill out a spreadsheet (
http://spdx.org/system/files/spdx_licenselist-new-licenses.ods ) rather
than just use text editor to edit a file. I much appreciate that ODS
format is used, of course, but most of us old-school Free Software
licensing people don't use spreadsheet programs very often, even Free
Software ones, and certainly not merely to submit text and URLs.
I'm not sure why you needed to download the zip file to make the
submission for a new license - you can just create your own. As far as
the spreadsheet is concerned - that was just recently added to provide
another option. Originally, the instructions just said to submit the
information for the license being suggested via email (including the
license text). But it was pointed out that some people may find the
spreadsheet easier as the fields could already be included for prompting
and also if one was submitting multiple licenses.

In any case, thanks for reading through the process and the requirements
for each field so carefully. You may be the first person (that I know of,
anyway) to have done so. Such "testing" is helpful to make the
explanation easier to understand and improve the process.