Date

SPDX- Cancelled General Meeting this week. Collaboration Summit SPDX Agenda

Philip Odence

As many of us will be at the Linux Collaboration Summit, this week's general meeting is cancelled.

Attached is a summary of the SPDX-related activities going on at the Summit and an agenda for our group meetings.

Re: curious about the use of (R) and TM symbols

Esteban Rockett <mgia3940@...>

I will discuss with Phil and get back to the the list-serv.

On Thu, Mar 29, 2012 at 4:28 AM, Philip Odence <podence@...> wrote:
Daniel,

Interesting you should ask, I just pinged Esteban for an update on this
earlier in the week. He and Motorola were pursuing on behalf of the Linux
Foundation (the holder of the marks). As of last summer, Software Package
Data Exchange had been registered, but SPDX had not, so it was correct to
use the (R) with the former and (TM) with the latter. I assume I would
have heard if the status had changed, but as I say am in the process of
confirming.

Rockett or I will get back to the list, if/when there is a change.
Otherwise assume status quo.

Vice President of Business Development
Black Duck Software, Inc.
8 New England Executive Park, Suite 211, Burlington MA 01803
Phone: 781.810.1819, Mobile: 781.258.9502
Skype: philip.odence
podence@...
http://www.blackducksoftware.com <http://www.blackducksoftware.com/>
http://twitter.com/podence
http://www.linkedin.com/in/podence
http://www.networkworld.com/community/odence (my blog)

On 3/29/12 4:17 AM, "D M German" <dmg@...> wrote:

>Hi everybody,
>
>I am curious, why if "SPDX" is a registered trademark in the US (I just
>checked--not in canada, by the way) then there is the requirement to
>postfix it with "TM" and not with (R) as is the case with the full name:
>"Software Package Data Exchange (R)"
>
>--dmg
>
>--
>Daniel M. German
>http://turingmachine.org/
>http://silvernegative.com/
>dmg (at) uvic (dot) ca
>replace (at) with @ and (dot) with .

E.A. Rockett
Senior Director
Software & Services Operations
Motorola Mobility, Inc.
1000 Enterprise Way
Sunnyvale, CA 94089
+1.415.508.7625 (T)
+1.408.541-6900 (F)
rockett@...

Re: Today's SPDX Call

Esteban Rockett <mgia3940@...>

Added

4. Discuss use cases 1.x does solve.

On Thu, Mar 29, 2012 at 10:23 AM, Lamons, Scott (Open Source Program Office) <scott.lamons@...> wrote:

Steve,

This sounds really good to me.   My only minor comment is that we should mostly focus on the objectives and use cases around 2.x and 3.x and not get too caught up on the timeline just yet.   As someone else appropriately pointed out that will depend on the commitment and resources that can be brought to bear and it might serve to discourage adoption of 1.x where that makes sense for certain organizations.

Regards,

Scott

From: Phil Odence <podence@...>
Date: Fri, 23 Mar 2012 15:03:38 -0500
To: <spdx@...>, <spdx-tech@...>, <spdx-legal@...>, <spdx-biz@...>
Subject: Special SPDX Adoption Meeting on Wednesday - PLEASE READ

NOTE WE WILL BE USING A DIFFERENT DIAL IN FOR THIS MEEING

Meeting Time: Thurs, March 29, 8am PDT / 10 am CDT / 11am EDT / 15:00 UTC. http://www.timeanddate.com/worldclock/converter.html

IMPORTANT

Kim is out next week, so in the time normally reserved for the Business Team meeting, we will have a dedicated discussion about an important topic that came up in the General Meeting: Adoption of SPDX. I encourage members of all teams to attend, if possible.

Before the upcoming public gatherings at which we will be presenting SPDX Collaboration Summit and the Forum, we want to get as much alignment as possible on the way we will talk about adoption and the SPDX roadmap. A couple specifics we discussed in the Thursday call:

  • While we all feel that V1.0 is a great step forward, some companies are feeling like they can not adopt SPDX until the 2.0 release which will add hierarchy and signing capability.
  • There's been a lot of discussion over the last few months in the Business and Tech Teams about backward compatibility. In any development process, this requirement is a constraint on the next release. On the other hand, adopters of software (and specs) want the future comfort of a dedication to backward compatibility. For a variety of reasons, there has been a ton of great work, but little production adoption of 1.0. With 2.0 slated for release in August (fingers crossed), it's reasonable to revisit how strongly we want to emphasize backward compatibility.

Should be a very interesting discussion and an important one to air before the upcoming meetings. An hour is short, so I don't expect detailed resolution, but we can make progress in that direction and get gauge sufficient to help speakers at the events represent the organization.

Best to all,

From: Phil Odence <podence@...>
Date: Fri, 23 Mar 2012 15:03:38 -0500
To: <spdx@...>, <spdx-tech@...>, <spdx-legal@...>, <spdx-biz@...>

Steve Cropper (stcroppe) <stcroppe@...>

From: Phil Odence <podence@...>
Date: Fri, 23 Mar 2012 15:03:38 -0500
To: <spdx@...>, <spdx-tech@...>, <spdx-legal@...>, <spdx-biz@...>

[...]

Thanks Phil:

I have attached a couple of slides for our input to the discussion.

From: Phil Odence <podence@...>
Date: Fri, 23 Mar 2012 15:03:38 -0500
To: <spdx@...>, <spdx-tech@...>, <spdx-legal@...>, <spdx-biz@...>

[...]

Today's SPDX Call

Philip Odence

From: Phil Odence <podence@...>
Date: Fri, 23 Mar 2012 15:03:38 -0500
To: <spdx@...>, <spdx-tech@...>, <spdx-legal@...>, <spdx-biz@...>

podence@blackducksoftware.com

On 3/29/12 4:17 AM, "D M German" <dmg@uvic.ca> wrote:

Hi everybody,

I am curious, why if "SPDX" is a registered trademark in the US (I just
checked--not in canada, by the way) then there is the requirement to
postfix it with "TM" and not with (R) as is the case with the full name:
"Software Package Data Exchange (R)"

--dmg

--
Daniel M. German
http://turingmachine.org/
http://silvernegative.com/
dmg (at) uvic (dot) ca
replace (at) with @ and (dot) with .

curious about the use of (R) and TM symbols

dmg

Hi everybody,

I am curious, why if "SPDX" is a registered trademark in the US (I just
checked--not in canada, by the way) then there is the requirement to
postfix it with "TM" and not with (R) as is the case with the full name:
"Software Package Data Exchange (R)"

--dmg

--
Daniel M. German
http://turingmachine.org/
http://silvernegative.com/
dmg (at) uvic (dot) ca
replace (at) with @ and (dot) with .

variants of licenses

dmg

Hi everybody,

my colleague Yuki Manabe, from the Univ. of Osaka, has been working hard
trying to extract all the licenses in every program of every package in
various Linux distributions (using Ninka).

This has allowed us to create a corpus of "licensing sentences". I think
this data might be useful for the matching of variations of licenses. Is
anybody working on this?

here are two files, representing the last two sentence of the BSD licensees:

http://turingmachine.org/~dmg/temp/bsd-variants-liable.txt
http://turingmachine.org/~dmg/temp/bsd-variants-as-is.txt

Some of the variants are due to copyright owners, but there are some
other interesting cases. The number at the front of each is its
frequency (per file).

--
Daniel M. German
http://turingmachine.org/

SPDX 2.0 Use Cases

Ed Warnicke <eaw@...>

Over in spdx-tech this week, we started making use cases more precise and specific for
SPDX 2.0:

Some of the 1.0 ones needs to be refreshed, and there may be other ones
available to fill in the details - for instance, auditors.

A standardize template has been proposed,  and the others need to be
filled out in that manner, so we can have this consistent for analysis.
An example of that template is here:
http://spdx.org/wiki/spdx-20-usecase-upstream-maintainer-providing-spdx-data

A structured framework has been put together - we discussed additonal use
cases to be added to the Wiki.  Some are specific missing use cases were
added and folks signed up to flesh out (ideally with the template).

If the folks from the other teams would kindly:
1)  Help us to fill in any missing use cases
2)  Sign up to flesh out some of the use cases (we've got names in [ ] after use cases).

Ed

Re: Special SPDX Adoption Meeting on Thursday - PLEASE READ

Manbeck, Jack

All,

I will be travelling on business this Thursday. I apologize in advance for having to miss this meeting.

Regards,

Jack Manbeck

Texas Instruments

www.ti.com

Main: (301) 407-9569

Just talked to Phil and he asked me to to clarify,  meeting is on THURSDAY, not Wednesday as in original title.  Apologies for the confusion.

Kate

[...]

-----Inline Attachment Follows-----

Someone to present SPDX at LSM/RMLL in Geneva (July 2012) ?

Olivier Berger <olivier.berger@...>

Hi.

I think it could be interesting if someone could present SPDX at the
coming Libre Software Meeting in Geneva in July 2012.

More details at :
http://2012.rmll.info/en/participate/call-for-papers

Anyone interested ?

Olivier BERGER
Ingenieur Recherche - Dept INF

Re: proselytizing the License List

Philip Odence

Good one, Jilayne. Not sure everyone caught this one I did last Spring. http://www.spdx.org/content/celebrate-small-victories-and-cheers-open-source-initiative

From: Jilayne Lovejoy <jilayne.lovejoy@...>
Date: Fri, 23 Mar 2012 20:35:58 +0000
To: SPDX-legal <spdx-legal@...>, SPDX-general <spdx@...>
Subject: proselytizing the License List

I was due to post a blog entry, so thought I'd take the opportunity to do a little proselytizing :)

Jilayne Lovejoy |  Corporate Counsel
jlovejoy@...  |  720 240 4545
Follow me on Twitter @jilaynelovejoy

OpenLogic, Inc.
10910 W 120th Ave, Suite 450
Broomfield, Colorado 80021
www.openlogic.com
Follow OpenLogic on Twitter @openlogic

proselytizing the License List

Jilayne Lovejoy <jilayne.lovejoy@...>

kate.stewart@...

[...]

Re: Special SPDX Adoption Meeting on Wednesday - PLEASE READ

Kevin P. Fleming <kpfleming@...>

On 03/23/2012 02:03 PM, Philip Odence wrote:
*NOTE WE WILL BE USING A DIFFERENT DIAL IN FOR THIS MEEING*
*
*
*Meeting Time:* Thurs, March 29, 8am PDT / 10 am CDT / 11am EDT /
15:00 UTC. http://www.timeanddate.com/worldclock/converter.html
This message's subject says Wednesday, but the content says Thursday.

--
Kevin P. Fleming
Jabber: kfleming@digium.com | SIP: kpfleming@digium.com | Skype: kpfleming

[...]

SIGN UP NOW for SPDX Forum if you are planning to attend

Kim Weins

We already have 37 registrants — including quite a few people that have not been normal participants.  Everyone needs to register so that we can get a full count for food and the room.

http://www.regonline.com/Register/Checkin.aspx?EventID=1073220

Kim

SPDX General Meeting Minutes, Agenda and Reminder for March 22 Meeting

Philip Odence

Upcoming Events:
  • We will have a working meeting at the Linux Collab Summit in San Francisco, April 4-5
  • There will also be an SPDX event at Cisco in San Jose, April 6. The purpose will be outreach and education.
Plea:
Timezone Alert:
  • Be aware that US goes on Daylight Time this Sunday. Europe does not got to Europe Summer Time for two weeks on March 25. During that period the timezones will be an hour shorter than normal.
  • We will continue to run SPDX meetings at same US times during that period.

Meeting Time: March 22, 8am PST / 10 am CST / 11am EST / 15:00 UTC. http://www.timeanddate.com/worldclock/converter.html

Approve Minutes

Technical Team Report - Kate

Legal Team Report - Jilayne