From: spdx-tech-bounces@... [mailto:spdx-tech-bounces@...] On Behalf Of Brian Fox
Sent: Wednesday, February 29, 2012 4:19 PM
To: Tom Incorvia
Cc: spdx-tech@...; spdx-legal@...; SPDX
Subject: Re: Recommend Changing SPDX License Identifier for Eclipse Public License 1.0 to "Eclipse-1.0"

In my circles it's more common to refer to it as EPL instead of Eclipse. In fact even the Eclipse foundation refers to it as EPL: http://www.eclipse.org/legal/eplfaq.php

On Wed, Feb 29, 2012 at 3:59 PM, Tom Incorvia <tom.incorvia@...> wrote:

Hello SPDX license list interested parties,

I would like to propose that we change the License Identifier for the Eclipse Public License 1.0 on the SPDX License List from “EPL-1.0” to “Eclipse-1.0”.

I suggest this because “Eclipse” is how the license is commonly referred to.

Secondarily, I have recently received 2 calls when documents referred to EPL-1.0, and the Identifier was simply not visually recognized by the user (yes, they could have clicked the link, but if Eclipse is the common usage, let’s go with it unless there is a cost).

Any concerns?

Thanks,

Tom

Tom Incorvia

tom.incorvia@...

Direct:  (512) 340-1336

Mobile: (408) 499 6850

Shoretel (Internal): 27015

This message has been scanned by MailController.

Re: Recommend Changing SPDX License Identifier for Eclipse PublicLicense 1.0 to "Eclipse-1.0"

villalu@...

For what it is worth, my experience is that people affiliated with Eclipse in some way refer to it as EPL, but that "casual" people who come across it in another context (e.g., commonly in diligence) don't use the acronym, and instead refer to it as the Eclipse license or something along those lines.

If you are not an intended recipient of confidential and privileged information in this email, please delete it, notify us immediately at postmaster@..., and do not use or disseminate such information.  Pursuant to IRS Circular 230, any tax advice in this email may not be used to avoid tax penalties or to promote, market or recommend any matter herein.