Date   

SPDX RDF Sub-group Mtg 8 concall / gotomeeting details

Bill Schineller
 

Today's call dial-in details:

SPDX RDF Sub-group Mtg 8
(TODAY) Tuesday October 26, 11AM eastern time

Toll-free dial-in number (U.S. and Canada): (877) 435-0230
International dial-in number: (253) 336-6732
Conference code: 7833942033

URL to join meeting:
http://blackducksoftware.na6.acrobat.com/r13794172/

Bill Schineller
Knowledge Base Manager
Black Duck Software Inc.
T: +1.781.810.1829
F: +1.781.891.5145
E: bschineller@...
http://www.blackducksoftware.com


Proposals wiki page

Peter Williams <peter.williams@...>
 

I created a page in the wiki to list spec change proposals, <http://www.spdx.org/wiki/proposals>. New proposal should be added to this list when they are created. Once we get an issue tracker up and running, this will probably go away. Until then it should help us keep track of the active proposals.

Can someone with more privileges add it to the link list on <http://www.spdx.org/wiki/spdx/spec-development>.

Peter Williams
<http://openlogic.com>


File origin info proposals

Peter Williams <peter.williams@...>
 

The proposals for surfacing information regarding the origin a files are

* <http://www.spdx.org/wiki/proposal-2010-10-21-2-file-origin> : Two new properties of File that store the name and URL of the origin project of the file
* <http://www.spdx.org/wiki/proposal-2010-10-21-3-artifactof> : A new (repeatable) property storing a description of a project of which this file is an artifact.

We need to decide between them.

Peter Williams
<http://openlogic.com>


Kim's slides from OWF

Martin Michlmayr
 

As requested, I've uploaded Kim's slides from Open World Forum:
http://spdx.org/system/files/kim_weins-spdx.pdf

--
Martin Michlmayr
Open Source Program Office, Hewlett-Packard


License Review Meeting

Kim Weins
 

9:00 AM - 10:00 AM November 12, 2010
Location: Dial in below

We will review the license list and address issues.


US  866-740-1260
Int'l  http://www.readytalk.com/support/international-numbers.php

ID 2404502

Web Meeting
Www.readytalk.com
ID 2404502


Re: License List spreadsheet v1.1

Tom Incorvia
 

FYI, I did a compare of Python 3.2 LICENSE to the much earlier 2.0.1 AFTER removing the history information – so the compare started with the statement “TERMS AND CONDITIONS FOR ACCESSING OR OTHERWISE USING PYTHON”. 

 

The licenses are the same other than adding to the list of copyright years and changing the title “CWI PERMISSIONS STATEMENT AND DISCLAIMER” TO “CWI LICENSE AGREEMENT FOR PYTHON 0.9.0 THROUGH 1.2”.  I have attached the compare.

 

I also noticed that the license link for particular versions of the Python software don’t always match.  For instance the link http://www.python.org/download/releases/2.4.6/license/ links to a license titled 2.4.4 license.  Similarly the URL for 3.0.1 points to a license titled 2.6.1.  There are others.

 

Between versions 2.4.4 and 2.5 “Version 2” is added to the license.  But the changes continue to be limited to extensions of the copyright years.

 

I believe that the discrete licenses are:

 

-          CWI LICENSE AGREEMENT FOR PYTHON 0.9.0 THROUGH 1.2

-          CNRI LICENSE AGREEMENT FOR PYTHON 1.6.1

-          Python Version 1 (Covers Python after 1.6.1 and prior to 2.5)

-          Python Version 2 (Covers Python 2.5 and after)

 

Tom W, what do you think – some of the specificity in versions and release is removed as the licenses get newer.  I have not looked for language re self-superseding.

 

Thanks,

 

Tom

 

Tom Incorvia

tom.incorvia@...

Direct:  (512) 340-1336

Mobile: (408) 499 6850

 

-----Original Message-----
From: Tom "spot" Callaway [mailto:tcallawa@...]
Sent: Wednesday, October 20, 2010 2:03 PM
To: Tom Incorvia
Cc: Jilayne Lovejoy; kate.stewart@...; spdx@...
Subject: Re: License List spreadsheet v1.1

 

On 10/20/2010 02:56 PM, Tom Incorvia wrote:

> -          The Python license may have versions – I am not certain --

> they take the time to restate the license with each release – however, I

> comparisons of some of the “official licenses” and they were the same.

> Anyway, we will need to dig into Python a bit in terms of versioning and

> relationship to CNRI – I don’t have the bandwidth for this right now,

> but hopefully there is someone on the team who is deep into Python licensing

 

To the best of my understanding, there have been several different

Python license versions, but the licenses are self-superseding, in that

as new versions arrive, they automatically apply.

 

~tom

 

 

This message has been scanned for viruses by MailController - www.MailController.altohiway.com


Reminder: SPDX meeting Oct 21 at 8am PDT/11AM EDT/15:00 UTC

kate.stewart@...
 


Details for the call will be:
Toll-free dial-in number (U.S. and Canada): (877) 435-0230
International dial-in number: (253) 336-6732
Conference code: 7812589502

For those dialing in from other regions, a list of toll free numbers can be found: https://www.intercallonline.com/portlets/scheduling/viewNumbers/viewNumber.do?ownerNumber=6053870&audioType=RP&viewGa=false&ga=OFF

Agenda
* Outreach and evangelism:
  - Industry Venues – PhilR
  - Website – MartinM
* Legal Update - Rockett
  - SPDX file contents license
  - Trademark
* Roll Out Update - KimW/JohnE
* Licensing Subgroup Update - Jilayne
* RDF Subgroup Update - Peter/Kate
* Spec Update - Kate
  - 3.3 - changing field from SHA of tarball to XOR of file level SHAs.
  - 5.6/5.7 - discussion of mail list threads - clarification of proposals?


Action Items
* Kate- Transfer document (.pdf) back to WIKI - DONE.
* Kim- Clean up the sharing analysis to what is accurate.
* JeffL/Dave M- Update zlib based on new specification
* RDF Group- Work out syntax for 5.6/5.7 - Need clarity on mail list proposals
* Kate- Track and implement changes described in Spec from maillist - IN PROGRESS.
* Kate - submit ids to Linux Foundation so infrastructure setup can proceed
* PeterW- Implement issue tracking system with Linux Foundation infrastructure.
* Phil R- Update Industry Events.
* Kate- Draft example for LF Member Counsel; include XML and corresponding spreadsheet (or spreadsheet-like) format.
* Kim - list of questions from Open World Forum to form start of FAQ
* Kim - slides from OWF made available
* Kate - 10/14 minutes to be added to WIKI for review.


SPDX Oct 21 call

Philip Odence
 

Last week's meeting was out of the normal every 2 weeks rhythm, and we are now back on normal schedule. The call is Oct 21 at 8am PDT/11AM EDT/15:00 UTC.

Once again, I apologize in advance for missing, but I have a Board meeting that's been scheduled since the beginning of the year. Kate will ably host and will provide an agenda at the beginning of the meeting. 
We will not have a webshare for this one. Dial in:
Conf call dial-in:
Conference code:  7812589502
Toll-free dial-in number (U.S. and Canada):  (877) 435-0230
International dial-in number: (253) 336-6732
For those dialing in from other regions, a list of toll free numbers can be found: 
https://www.intercallonline.com/portlets/scheduling/viewNumbers/viewNumber.do?ownerNumber=6053870&audioType=RP&viewGa=false&ga=OFF

She will post the minutes from the Oct 14 meeting at: http://www.spdx.org/wiki/spdx-meeting-minutes

Thanks for your understanding.

Best regards,
Phil

L. Philip Odence
Vice President of Business Development
Black Duck Software, inc.
265 Winter Street, Waltham, MA 02451
Phone: 781.810.1819, Mobile: 781.258.9502


Re: License List spreadsheet v1.1

Tom "spot" Callaway
 

On 10/20/2010 02:56 PM, Tom Incorvia wrote:
- The Python license may have versions – I am not certain --
they take the time to restate the license with each release – however, I
comparisons of some of the “official licenses” and they were the same.
Anyway, we will need to dig into Python a bit in terms of versioning and
relationship to CNRI – I don’t have the bandwidth for this right now,
but hopefully there is someone on the team who is deep into Python licensing
To the best of my understanding, there have been several different
Python license versions, but the licenses are self-superseding, in that
as new versions arrive, they automatically apply.

~tom


Re: License List spreadsheet v1.1

Tom Incorvia
 

Hi Jilayne,

 

Thanks for working on this.  I have been traveling, so hopefully I am not too far behind the conversations.

 

Here are a few very minor things:

 

 

-          I agree that we should use “Apache” as the short name

-          There is a comma in license full name “ISC License (Bind, DHCP Server)”

-          Regarding the entry GNU Library or "Lesser" General Public License v2 or v2.1 only”, I agree that this entry should be removed, and we should have a 2.0 or later; and a separate 2.1 or later as you recommend. 

-          On the Nethack GPL, the 3.4.3 specification actually refers to the program rather than the license – there is no suffix for the Nethack license

-          The Python license may have versions – I am not certain -- they take the time to restate the license with each release – however, I comparisons of some of the “official licenses” and they were the same.  Anyway, we will need to dig into Python a bit in terms of versioning and relationship to CNRI – I don’t have the bandwidth for this right now, but hopefully there is someone on the team who is deep into Python licensing

 

Tom

 

Tom Incorvia

tom.incorvia@...

Direct:  (512) 340-1336

Mobile: (408) 499 6850

From: Jilayne Lovejoy [mailto:Jlovejoy@...]
Sent: Tuesday, October 19, 2010 11:23 AM
To: Tom Incorvia; kate.stewart@...; spdx@...
Subject: License List spreadsheet v1.1

 

Hello All,

 

Attached is a first run at the license list info in a spreadsheet format as Kate mentioned below.  I also included a word document with some explanations, "guidelines" I made up as I went along, and issues or questions I noticed.  There are also some specific comments within the spreadsheet cells.  

 

I didn't add too many more licenses, although I think we will need to add some.  I wanted to take some time to identify other licenses not on the list that I have come across most often during audits, as perhaps others in the group can do as well. 

 

Cheers,

Jilayne Lovejoy

 

 

 


From: spdx-bounces@... [mailto:spdx-bounces@...] On Behalf Of Tom Incorvia
Sent: Tuesday, October 19, 2010 8:41 AM
To: kate.stewart@...; spdx@...
Subject: RE: spec is back in WIKI format again,,,

 

Hi Kate, I will be glad to give the license information spreadsheet a good review when it is available (or review an interim document).  Tom

 

Tom Incorvia

tom.incorvia@...

Direct:  (512) 340-1336

Mobile: (408) 499 6850

From: spdx-bounces@... [mailto:spdx-bounces@...] On Behalf Of kate.stewart@...
Sent: Tuesday, October 19, 2010 9:32 AM
To: spdx@...
Subject: spec is back in WIKI format again,,,

 


Just to let you know that the spec is now back in WIKI form, and open again for questions and comments to be posted in it.  It is now broken down into one page per section from the SPEC so, scope of change/editing isn't as daunting ;)

see:  http://www.spdx.org/spec/current

Caveats:
  - A couple of the line breaks are still not ideal, and I'll finish the cleanup as time permits.
  - The license information is being revised into a spreadsheet, so we can generate the per license WIKI pages easily (from Callaway's proposal),  there should be a separate email coming out shortly with the list as it stands, for further review.  Ignore what's in Appendix I for now.

Thanks for your patience,   Kate

Kate

 

Click here to report this email as spam.

This message has been scanned for viruses by MailController.


License List spreadsheet v1.1

Jilayne Lovejoy <Jlovejoy@...>
 

Hello All,

 

Attached is a first run at the license list info in a spreadsheet format as Kate mentioned below.  I also included a word document with some explanations, "guidelines" I made up as I went along, and issues or questions I noticed.  There are also some specific comments within the spreadsheet cells.  

 

I didn't add too many more licenses, although I think we will need to add some.  I wanted to take some time to identify other licenses not on the list that I have come across most often during audits, as perhaps others in the group can do as well. 

 

Cheers,

Jilayne Lovejoy

 

 

 


From: spdx-bounces@... [mailto:spdx-bounces@...] On Behalf Of Tom Incorvia
Sent: Tuesday, October 19, 2010 8:41 AM
To: kate.stewart@...; spdx@...
Subject: RE: spec is back in WIKI format again,,,

 

Hi Kate, I will be glad to give the license information spreadsheet a good review when it is available (or review an interim document).  Tom

 

Tom Incorvia

tom.incorvia@...

Direct:  (512) 340-1336

Mobile: (408) 499 6850

From: spdx-bounces@... [mailto:spdx-bounces@...] On Behalf Of kate.stewart@...
Sent: Tuesday, October 19, 2010 9:32 AM
To: spdx@...
Subject: spec is back in WIKI format again,,,

 


Just to let you know that the spec is now back in WIKI form, and open again for questions and comments to be posted in it.  It is now broken down into one page per section from the SPEC so, scope of change/editing isn't as daunting ;)

see:  http://www.spdx.org/spec/current

Caveats:
  - A couple of the line breaks are still not ideal, and I'll finish the cleanup as time permits.
  - The license information is being revised into a spreadsheet, so we can generate the per license WIKI pages easily (from Callaway's proposal),  there should be a separate email coming out shortly with the list as it stands, for further review.  Ignore what's in Appendix I for now.

Thanks for your patience,   Kate

Kate

 

Click here to report this email as spam.

This message has been scanned for viruses by MailController.


SPDX RDF Sub-group Mtg 7 concall / gotomeeting details

Bill Schineller
 

Today's call dial-in details:

SPDX RDF Sub-group Mtg 7
(TODAY) Tuesday October 19, 11AM eastern time

Toll-free dial-in number (U.S. and Canada): (877) 435-0230
International dial-in number: (253) 336-6732
Conference code: 7833942033

URL to join meeting:
http://blackducksoftware.na6.acrobat.com/r15375307/


Re: spec is back in WIKI format again,,,

Tom Incorvia
 

Hi Kate, I will be glad to give the license information spreadsheet a good review when it is available (or review an interim document).  Tom

 

Tom Incorvia

tom.incorvia@...

Direct:  (512) 340-1336

Mobile: (408) 499 6850

From: spdx-bounces@... [mailto:spdx-bounces@...] On Behalf Of kate.stewart@...
Sent: Tuesday, October 19, 2010 9:32 AM
To: spdx@...
Subject: spec is back in WIKI format again,,,

 


Just to let you know that the spec is now back in WIKI form, and open again for questions and comments to be posted in it.  It is now broken down into one page per section from the SPEC so, scope of change/editing isn't as daunting ;)

see:  http://www.spdx.org/spec/current

Caveats:
  - A couple of the line breaks are still not ideal, and I'll finish the cleanup as time permits.
  - The license information is being revised into a spreadsheet, so we can generate the per license WIKI pages easily (from Callaway's proposal),  there should be a separate email coming out shortly with the list as it stands, for further review.  Ignore what's in Appendix I for now.

Thanks for your patience,   Kate

Kate

 

Click here to report this email as spam.

This message has been scanned for viruses by MailController.


spec is back in WIKI format again,,,

kate.stewart@...
 


Just to let you know that the spec is now back in WIKI form, and open again for questions and comments to be posted in it.  It is now broken down into one page per section from the SPEC so, scope of change/editing isn't as daunting ;)

see:  http://www.spdx.org/spec/current

Caveats:
  - A couple of the line breaks are still not ideal, and I'll finish the cleanup as time permits.
  - The license information is being revised into a spreadsheet, so we can generate the per license WIKI pages easily (from Callaway's proposal),  there should be a separate email coming out shortly with the list as it stands, for further review.  Ignore what's in Appendix I for now.

Thanks for your patience,   Kate

Kate


Agenda - Oct 14, 2010

kate.stewart@...
 

Sorry for the delay on getting this out, have been having a couple of issues with my computer on the road. :(

Details for the call will be:
Toll-free dial-in number (U.S. and Canada): (877) 435-0230
International dial-in number: (253) 336-6732
Conference code: 7812589502

For those dialing in from other regions, a list of toll free numbers can be found: https://www.intercallonline.com/portlets/scheduling/viewNumbers/viewNumber.do?ownerNumber=6053870&audioType=RP&viewGa=false&ga=OFF

Agenda
* Approval of minutes from Sept 23
- http://www.spdx.org/wiki/20100923-minutes
* Outreach and evangelism:
- Industry Venues – PhilR
- Website – MartinM
* Roll Out Update - KimW/JohnE
* Legal Update - Rockett (if available)
* Licensing Subgroup Update - Kate/KimW
* RDF Subgroup Update - BillS
* Linux Foundation Code Repository - Kate


Action Items
* Kate- Transfer document (.pdf) back to WIKI.
* Kim- Clean up the sharing analysis to what is accurate.
* JeffL (w/Bill/Gary- Update zlib based on new specification
* RDF Group- Work out syntax for 5.6/5.7
* Kate- Track and implement changes described in Spec from maillist.
* PeterW- Implement issue tracking system with Linux Foundation infrastructure.
* Phil R- Update Industry Events.
* Kate- Draft example for LF Member Counsel; include XML and corresponding spreadsheet (or spreadsheet-like) format.



October 14 Meeting Notice

Philip Odence
 

As per my email last week, there will be a meeting tomorrow, Oct 14 at 8am PDT/11AM EDT/15:00 UTC.

I will be on a plane, so Kate will host. She will provide an agenda at the beginning of the meeting. We will not have a webshare for this one. Dial in:
Conf call dial-in:
Conference code:  7812589502
Toll-free dial-in number (U.S. and Canada):  (877) 435-0230
International dial-in number: (253) 336-6732
For those dialing in from other regions, a list of toll free numbers can be found: 
https://www.intercallonline.com/portlets/scheduling/viewNumbers/viewNumber.do?ownerNumber=6053870&audioType=RP&viewGa=false&ga=OFF

Here are minutes from the last meeting: http://www.spdx.org/wiki/20100923-minutes.

Sorry to miss the call. See you on the next one.

Best regards,
Phil


L. Philip Odence
Vice President of Business Development
Black Duck Software, inc.
265 Winter Street, Waltham, MA 02451
Phone: 781.810.1819, Mobile: 781.258.9502


Proposal for use of External Vocabularies

Gary O'Neall
 

On behalf of the SPDX RDF Sub-group, I would like to provide the larger SPDX organization a proposal to leverage some of the existing RDF vocabularies.  After analyzing several existing vocabularies, the SPDX RDF Sub-group have agreed on a few SPDX tags/properties that we believe would be improved by referencing these external vocabularies. 


The attached document provides some background, specifics on the proposed changes, and potential issues with their adoption.

 

Please let us know if you have any questions or feedback.

 

Thanks,
Gary O’Neall

 

 


SPDX RDF Sub-group Mtg 6 agenda / concall / gotomeeting details

Bill Schineller
 

Today's requested agenda items:

1) rdfa/xhtml example - Peter (15 min)

2) Formal proposal to leverage other vocabularies - Gary (15 min)

3) SHA1 usage - Gary (15 min)

Today's call dial-in details:

SPDX RDF Sub-group Mtg 6
(TODAY) Tuesday October 12, 11AM eastern time

Toll-free dial-in number (U.S. and Canada): (877) 435-0230
International dial-in number: (253) 336-6732
Conference code: 7833942033

URL to join meeting:
http://blackducksoftware.na6.acrobat.com/r92133955/

Bill Schineller
Knowledge Base Manager
Black Duck Software Inc.
T: +1.781.810.1829
F: +1.781.891.5145
E: bschineller@...
http://www.blackducksoftware.com


Oct 7 meeting postponed until Oct 14

Philip Odence
 

SPDX Group,

Kate has been traveling in Europe and has not been able to free up the time for our meeting on Thursday, so we are pushing for one week.

Next meeting will be October 14, 8am PDT/11AM EDT/15:00 UTC

I will send out an agenda prior to.

Thanks for your flexibility.


L. Philip Odence
Vice President of Business Development
Black Duck Software, inc.
265 Winter Street, Waltham, MA 02451
Phone: 781.810.1819, Mobile: 781.258.9502


SPDX RDF Sub-group Mtg 5 concall / gotomeeting details

Bill Schineller
 

Today's call dial-in details:
(I understand Kate is unavailable)

SPDX RDF Sub-group Mtg 5
(TODAY) Tuesday October 5, 11AM eastern time

Toll-free dial-in number (U.S. and Canada): (877) 435-0230
International dial-in number: (253) 336-6732
Conference code: 7833942033

URL to join meeting:
http://blackducksoftware.na6.acrobat.com/r55067356/


Bill Schineller
Knowledge Base Manager
Black Duck Software Inc.
T: +1.781.810.1829
F: +1.781.891.5145
E: bschineller@...
http://www.blackducksoftware.com

1441 - 1460 of 1591