From: spdx@... <spdx@...> On Behalf Of Kate Stewart
Sent: Friday, May 20, 2022 5:41 AM
To: SPDX-general <spdx@...>
Subject: Re: [spdx] End Of Life Tag in spdx #spdx

On Fri, May 20, 2022 at 2:32 AM Steve Kilbane <stephen.kilbane@...> wrote:

Armijn said:

> Current information inside SPDX documents is largely static […]

> This would make SPDX a lot more cumbersome, as not only do the documents need to be generated, but they also need to be updated all the time to avoid falling out of sync

I have no opinion on end-of-life either way, but wouldn’t the same argument apply to security vulnerabilities?

Sort of.   Security information is even more likely to change after release, EOL for open source components supported by the community may,  but much less frequently.

Thinking so far, is that this would start out as an optional field, so that those who do know the information

when assembling an SBOM can include it.

Example:  you are using a product that contains the linux 4.9 kernel.   You know from the community (https://kernel.org/category/releases.html) that it will go out of support Jan 2023 (as of today, but this may evolve),

so including this information, which could then be queried by a script around then, and then determine next steps,

is going to be much more efficient then expecting all consumers of your product to add it manually.    Similarly

certain distros have expectations of EOL for support from the community (https://wiki.debian.org/LTS).

To your point,  there may well be a contract with a supplier, with a date that extends this, and in that case there

are likely processes already in place to track/monitor/etc. in an organization.   However those consuming open

source based products are not necessarily tracking the upstream components EOL, and probably should be.

Adding this field, as optional, enables more efficiency.

Join spdx@lists.spdx.org to automatically receive all group messages.