Re: "X.org Preferred License"

Till Jaeger

Hi Alan,

Your Firefox extension works really well. Thanks for this great tool!

Best,

Till

Am 14.01.21 um 22:26 schrieb Alan Tse:

Hi Mark,

I’m also not sure of which SPDX tool you were using but I checked with
the browser extension spdx-license-diff
<https://github.com/spdx/spdx-license-diff> and I get a template match
to MIT since the extra part is optional as described by Steve.

Of course if you do use the browser extension and you see missing
template matches with it (which I find occasionally), I’ll fix it if you
report it <https://github.com/spdx/spdx-license-diff/issues>.

Alan

*From: *<spdx@lists.spdx.org> on behalf of Steve Winslow
<swinslow@linuxfoundation.org>
*Date: *Thursday, January 14, 2021 at 12:47 PM
*To: *"spdx@lists.spdx.org" <spdx@lists.spdx.org>
*Cc: *Kate Stewart <kstewart@linuxfoundation.org>, "Atwood, Mark"
<atwoodm@amazon.com>
*Subject: *Re: [spdx] "X.org Preferred License"

*CAUTION:**This email originated from outside of Western Digital. Do not
click on links or open attachments unless you recognize the sender and
know that the content is safe.*

Hi Mark,

The MIT license template on the license list [1] has the language
"(including the next paragraph)" as optional text, which is why that
part shows up in blue italics on the list [2].

I think that's what you're referring to, but let me know if I'm missing
something.

Best,

Steve

[1]
https://github.com/spdx/license-list-XML/blob/a32a839b7385c9a797a26fa45c6f6234947b7abe/src/MIT.xml#L22

[2] https://spdx.org/licenses/MIT.html

On Thu, Jan 14, 2021 at 3:19 PM Mark Atwood via lists.spdx.org
<http://lists.spdx.org> <atwoodm=amazon.com@lists.spdx.org
<mailto:amazon.com@lists.spdx.org>> wrote:

The "X.org Preferred License" documented at [
https://www.x.org/archive/current/doc/xorg-docs/License.html ] is
the MIT
license with the additional text in the middle "(including the next
paragraph)".

Our SPDX license matching tool is not locking onto it with 100%, but
instead
is showing it nearest edit distance to MIT.  I've not yet dug in deeper,
but,

Is the X.org variant in the SPDX database?
If not should we add it as an new license, or as matching rule
variant to
MIT?

If its not in the database, I will start the legwork and paperwork
to add
it.

..m

Mark Atwood <atwoodm@amazon.com <mailto:atwoodm@amazon.com>>