Google Summer of Code 2019

Gary O'Neall

Google summer of code 2019 will open up to organization applications on January 15th.

If you are interested in being a mentor this year, please let me know which project ideas you would be interested in mentoring.

We also need to update our list of project ideas.

I removed the projects from last year which were completed.  Here is the updated ideas page: https://wiki.spdx.org/view/GSOC/GSOC_ProjectIdeas

We can definitely use more ideas!

If you would like to add a project idea, feel free to add to the ideas wiki or reply to this distribution list with a proposal.

Principal Consultant

Source Auditor Inc.

Mobile: 408.805.0586

Email: gary@...

Steve Winslow

Hi Gary, thanks for kicking this off! A few thoughts:

* For the project "Update Parser Libraries to SPDX 2.1 for Go", I've recently started a replacement Golang library which handles version 2.1 of the spec, and includes near-full test coverage and some other features. It's currently at https://github.com/swinslow/spdx-go -- there's plenty of opportunities for this to be improved. Most notably it's only handling tag-value files at present, so RDF import/export has yet to be added. But I'd be interested in others' thoughts if this might be a good baseline for an updated version of the official Golang tools, and for a summer student to work on. I'd be happy to volunteer as a mentor for this.

* For the project "SPDX Specification in MarkDown", I think this is basically done, isn't it? I'm not sure if it was part of GSoC or not, but I think the move from Google Docs to GitHub + MarkDown is complete. (Or if it isn't, then I've been looking in the wrong place.)  =)

* I'd also be happy to be a mentor if there are any students interested in the "SPDX Spec Views for legal counsels and developers" project.

I'll give some thought to any other tooling ideas that come to mind for possible GSoC projects.

Thanks,
Steve

--
Steve Winslow
Director of Strategic Programs

Rohit Lodha

Hi Gary,
I am glad that SPDX is participating this year too. I would like to contribute to SPDX this year as well. I would be happy to mentor "Update SPDX 2.1 for GO" and "Port SPDX 2.1 to Ruby, Javascript and Java". I'll let you know if I come up with another good project idea.

Thanks,
Rohit Lodha

Gary O'Neall

Hi Steve,

Catching up on the GSoC emails:

Hi Gary, thanks for kicking this off! A few thoughts:

* For the project "Update Parser Libraries to SPDX 2.1 for Go", I've recently started a replacement Golang library which handles version 2.1 of the spec, and includes near-full test coverage and some other features. It's currently at https://github.com/swinslow/spdx-go -- there's plenty of opportunities for this to be improved. Most notably it's only handling tag-value files at present, so RDF import/export has yet to be added. But I'd be interested in others' thoughts if this might be a good baseline for an updated version of the official Golang tools, and for a summer student to work on. I'd be happy to volunteer as a mentor for this.

[G.O.] Why don’t you update the definition of this project to be to support multiple formats including RDF and perhaps the XML, JSON and YAML formats we’re discussing.  Should we go ahead and merge your version into the official SPDX repo?  I I just invited you to the repo which should provide write access.

* For the project "SPDX Specification in MarkDown", I think this is basically done, isn't it? I'm not sure if it was part of GSoC or not, but I think the move from Google Docs to GitHub + MarkDown is complete. (Or if it isn't, then I've been looking in the wrong place.)  =)

[G.O.] I’ll check with Kate and Thomas on this one.  I think there is more work to be done, but it may not be enough for a project.

* I'd also be happy to be a mentor if there are any students interested in the "SPDX Spec Views for legal counsels and developers" project.

[G.O.] Great! Go ahead and add yourself as a mentor.

[...]

Hi Rohit,

I’m glad to hear you would like to mentor again this year!

Go ahead and update the Wiki with the mentor information.