From: spdx-tech-bounces@... [mailto:spdx-tech-bounces@...] On Behalf Of gary@...
Sent: Monday, November 27, 2017 12:05 PM
To: spdx-tech@...
Subject: [spdx-tech] Proposed topic for this week's tech call: Extend license expressions to include OR-MAYBE

I would like to discuss adding an OR-MAYBE operator to the license expression on this week’s tech call Tuesday 10AM Pacific time.  This is a proposal to support a couple of use cases raised by myself and David Wheeler on the legal email list where it would be valuable to express a partial conclusion to for a license where it is ambiguous which license applies.

Below is a proposed list of questions we can address:

- Do we agree the “OR-MAYBE” should be added?

- Do we agree with the term "OR-MAYBE", or should we go with a single character like "?"?

- Should we disallow "OR-MAYBE" in declared license fields (it would only be used in concluded license fields)?

- What is the exact definition of the "OR-MAYBE" we would include in the spec?

- What version of the spec should we target?

This discussion originated on the legal list, but will have an impact on the SPDX specification and the technical team.

A description of the auditor use case and how the OR-MAYBE helps can be found here: https://lists.spdx.org/pipermail/spdx-legal/2017-November/002359.html

The larger thread of use case descriptions can be found on the legal team email threads for November: https://lists.spdx.org/pipermail/spdx-legal/2017-November/

Principal Consultant

Source Auditor Inc.