Re: Expanded SPDX License List Recommendation as Means to Add Value and Accelerate SPDX Adoption

David A. Wheeler

I like this.  I would add a few more key pieces of information:

- URL for a “canonical” copy of the license text (where available)

- Canonical/common header file text, if any.

- Dispositions from other common license analysis sites, if any: Free Software Foundation (FSF), Fedora, Debian.

  Even if it’s not open source software, it’s helpful to be able to point to OTHER people’s analysis.

  Also, if they took the time to analyze it and report on it, it’s probably common enough to be identified.

- I think it’d be important to make it clear that it doesn’t have to be OSI-approved, you’d just like to know if it is.  It’s useful to be able to refer to common licenses that are NOT OSI-approved.

- Under justification, add “Please identify one or more programs that use this or a previous version of the license” – since in most cases, if no one has adopted it, you probably don’t need to include it in the list.  It’s reasonable to add an *update* to a license before a program starts using it, so that everyone has a canonical name to refer to.

As I said earlier, the more you can make *proposers* provide information, the less everyone else needs to do.  Proposers will generally know more about the license anyway, since they live with it.

Thanks!

--- David A. Wheeler