Re: [spdx] Thursday SPDX General Meeting Reminder

J Lovejoy

Hi Howard (and moving to SPDX-legal list),

We are just about ready to merge the three OGL licenses into the license list and wrap up the 3.3 release. But I want to do a final check on the full name and identifier first:

Short identifier: OGL-UK-1.0
I think this makes the most sense and is consistent with keeping the version number at the end of the identifier

I’m a bit more conflicted on the full name, which is, admittedly, less critical in the sense that it is generally not used for machine matching - we could go with one of three variations:
Open Government Licence v1.0
Open Government Licence (UK) v1.0
Open Government Licence v1.0 (UK)

Do you have thoughts on this?  My inclination is that the second option would be consistent with the identifier and provide clarity when one is searching/looking at the SPDX License List, especially if other Open Government Licenses get added later. But it’s also not strictly necessary in light of the short identifier including “UK”.

Also, can you explain what you mean by:
"(as long as that would not require us to open up the coding of the machine readable version to make that a change in quick time)”

Lastly, the abbreviation, “OGL”  and “OGLv2.0” is used in the license text itself in versions 2 and 3. If that was updated to reflect the SPDX identifier, we could simply accommodate that with markup indicating either would constitute a match.

On Oct 4, 2018, at 6:33 AM, Davies, Howard <Howard.Davies@...> wrote:

Jilayne

Thank you for this. I don’t see there being any problem, from our point of view, with adding UK to the short identifier for SPDX listing (as long as that would not require us to open up the coding of the machine readable version to make that a change in quick time).

We are now on v3.0 of the OGL – the previous versions 1.0 and 2.0 are all still effective as the OGL is a perpetual licence, so they must persist for older material licensed under them. So there is no issue with versions 1.0 and 2.0 being added to the list, with suitable UK addition to the short identifier. There is also a Welsh language version of the OGL – would you require details of that? (it is just a translation, the terms are identical apart from Welsh instead of English).

What else would you need from us to get this moving forwards?

Many thanks

Howard

Howard Davies
Information Policy Manager
Tel +44 (0)20 3908 9196

Please note – email addresses at The National Archives have changed. My new email address is howard.davies@..., and all colleagues’ emails will also have had the .gsi element removed.

The National Archives, Kew, Richmond, Surrey TW9 4DU

For Twitter content and updates on Re-use follow @KIMexperts