Re: explanation for ensuring no duplicate identifiers
I’ve now updated the page further to remove references to the spreadsheet and a few other minor outdated items.toggle quoted message Show quoted text
I also updated the field names to be more accurate and consistent with what one sees on the website.
I’ve added a placeholder for Is FSF Free/Libre - but we need to come up with a description for that (working on that otherwise)
Back to the Short Identifier additions are: characters, given the various feedback on this thread, here is an updated suggestion. Tried to separate out the non-duplicative aspect and case insensitive nature (but preference for use of case sensitive) - not sure this is the best wording however, but want to keep it concise!
B) Short Identifier
• Short identifier to be used to identify a license or exception match to licenses or exceptions contained on the SPDX License List in the context of an SPDX file, in source file, or elsewhere
• Short identifiers
• Short identifiers consist of an abbreviation based on a common short name or acronym for the license or exception
• Where applicable, the abbreviation will be followed by a dash and then the version number, in X.Y format
• Where applicable, and if possible, the short identifier should be harmonized with other well-known open source naming sources (i.e., OSI, Fedora, etc.)
• Short identifiers should be as short in length as possible while staying consistent with all other naming criteria
• Short identifiers must not be duplicative and must be different from all pre-existing short identifiers.
• While short identifiers can be treated as case insensitive, it is encouraged to use the canonical short identifier casing.