That would be awesome!  When I saw Tom’s request, it occurred to me that the list is now too long to “remember” and check manually if something is already on the list :)

SPDX Legal Team co-lead
opensource@...

On Dec 2, 2014, at 5:15 PM, Gary O'Neall <gary@...> wrote:

Forgot to add - We do have a proposal to make some of the tools available on the website.  One of our Google Summer of Code students is interesting in taking that on later this year or in the summer.  This should make the license comparison feather available on the website as suggested below.

During the interim, we could just run the command line tool on any proposed license text on a local machine to check a license before adding it to the official list.

Gary

From: spdx-legal-bounces@... [mailto:spdx-legal-bounces@...] On Behalf Of Alan Tse
Sent: Tuesday, December 2, 2014 8:48 AM
To: Tom Incorvia; Sam Ellis; SPDX-legal
Subject: RE: Please Consider BSD-JCharts Variant for Inclusion in SPDX List

To avoid accidentally including a duplicate in the future, is anyone aware of or using a tool to quickly compare a new license against the existing list of SPDX licenses to see if it is close?

The closest I know of so far is nomos which is a scanner in Fossology, but that is used to scan incoming files.  I’m thinking more of website (perhaps on the SPDX website) where someone can paste the text in and see the top 1-2 closest matches.

Alan Tse
Copyright and Open Source Licensing Director
Western Digital Technologies, Inc.
3355 Michelson Dr., Suite 100, Irvine, CA 92612
From: Tom Incorvia <tom.incorvia@...>
Date: Tuesday, 2 December 2014 01:03
To: SPDX-legal <spdx-legal@...>

The BSD-JCharts Variant is a template license in the Fedora list: https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Licensing:BSD?rd=Licensing/BSD (Scan for “JCharts Variant”).

The license has similarities to early Apache licenses, but is considered by Fedora to be BSD.

This license is a template and is used frequently in the wild, for instance:

JCharts
JDOM
JDBM
OpenJMS

If this is not already in the SPDX list, please consider inclusion. Perhaps BSD-5-Clause (it is the only 5-Clause that I am aware of) or BSD JCharts Variant in order to be consistent with Fedora.

Here is a paste of the license as tracked by Fedora  https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Licensing:BSD?rd=Licensing/BSD:

jCharts Variant

Copyright 2002 (C) Nathaniel G. Auvil. All Rights Reserved.

Redistribution and use of this software and associated documentation ("Software"), with or without modification, are permitted provided that the  following conditions are met:

1. Redistributions of source code must retain copyright statements and notices. Redistributions must also contain a copy of this document.

2. Redistributions in binary form must reproduce the above copyright notice, this list of conditions and the following disclaimer in the documentation and/or other materials provided with the distribution.

3. The name "jCharts" or "Nathaniel G. Auvil" must not be used to endorse or promote products derived from this Software without prior written permission of Nathaniel G. Auvil.  For written permission, please contact nathaniel_auvil@...

4. Products derived from this Software may not be called "jCharts" nor may "jCharts" appear in their names without prior written permission of Nathaniel G. Auvil. jCharts is a registered trademark of Nathaniel G. Auvil.

5. Due credit should be given to the jCharts Project (http://jcharts.krysalis.org).

THIS SOFTWARE IS PROVIDED BY Nathaniel G. Auvil AND CONTRIBUTORS ``AS IS'' AND ANY EXPRESSED OR IMPLIED WARRANTIES, INCLUDING, BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY AND FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE ARE DISCLAIMED.  IN NO EVENT SHALL jCharts OR ITS CONTRIBUTORS BE LIABLE FOR ANY DIRECT, INDIRECT, INCIDENTAL, SPECIAL, EXEMPLARY, OR CONSEQUENTIAL DAMAGES (INCLUDING, BUT NOT LIMITED TO, PROCUREMENT OF SUBSTITUTE GOODS OR SERVICES; LOSS OF USE, DATA, OR PROFITS; OR BUSINESS INTERRUPTION) HOWEVER CAUSED AND ON ANY THEORY OF LIABILITY, WHETHER IN CONTRACT,STRICT LIABILITY, OR TORT (INCLUDING NEGLIGENCE OR OTHERWISE) ARISING IN ANY WAY OUT OF THE USE OF THIS SOFTWARE, EVEN IF ADVISED OF THE POSSIBILITY OF SUCH DAMAGE

Thanks,

Tom

Tom Incorvia; tom.incorvia@...; O: (512) 340-1336; M: (215) 500 8838; Shoretel (Internal): X27015

This message has been scanned for malware by Websense. www.websense.com

-- IMPORTANT NOTICE: The contents of this email and any attachments are confidential and may also be privileged. If you are not the intended recipient, please notify the sender immediately and do not disclose the contents to any other person, use it for any purpose, or store or copy the information in any medium. Thank you.

ARM Limited, Registered office 110 Fulbourn Road, Cambridge CB1 9NJ, Registered in England & Wales, Company No: 2557590
ARM Holdings plc, Registered office 110 Fulbourn Road, Cambridge CB1 9NJ, Registered in England & Wales, Company No: 2548782

Click here to report this email as spam.

Join Spdx-legal@lists.spdx.org to automatically receive all group messages.